Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-12-2010, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just planted 20 today at a local bank that I maintain. Lots of color and cold hardy, they are hard to beat. Replaced dwarf Bouganvillea and Plumbago that were killed by the freeze.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Member

This is a

This is a Berberis or Barberry shrub. The red is normal to its foilage color. Now down here in Florida this will not grow since its too hot. We use the Loropetalum or chinese fringe bush.

Hope this helps. ( Lightining strikes???? LOL )
Old 02-14-2010, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

OMG!
Look at the inner foliage! The remainder outer foliage is snow and freeze damage! (We have tons of this species around here and have had alot of snow and freezing!) The foliage is small and compact--thus the shape and low growing habit is remnant of a yaupon holly species. Look at the stem's and if the color is blueish to purple, then this shrub is a yaupon, and if the stem tissue is green, then it is a compacta holly or in the green luster family!
Berberis??? LOL!
If I read it correctly, the poster is in NC! Definately not a Barberry species. I think his camera is competing with the glare of the sun on his opticals.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

With all this anewed wisdom and experienced advice, did you discover what species these plants are??
I will stand firm on the answer of : Yaupon! Take this to another nursery and see what they will tell you. If they tell you Loropetulum or Berberis, then your camera is astray!!!
Sorry, No offense to my other colleagues.!!
Old 02-15-2010, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Member

huh?

Look its a friggin loropetalum think green. Open a damn book.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
With all this anewed wisdom and experienced advice, did you discover what species these plants are??
I will stand firm on the answer of : Yaupon! Take this to another nursery and see what they will tell you. If they tell you Loropetulum or Berberis, then your camera is astray!!!
Sorry, No offense to my other colleagues.!!
None taken.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Let's try a little experiment

What are the names of these shrubs? I think this will give us our answer for the shrub in question in this thread.

Good Luck!

"We Want to Make You Look Good"

Kyle Sanborn
Director of Operations

Office:989.652.6052
Mobile:989.751.3399
ProScapePLC@Yahoo.com

http://www.ProScapePLC.com
http://www.Facebook.com/ProScapePLC

Fully Insured
Free Estimates
Residential & Commercial
Old 02-15-2010, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Member

1st pic is crimson barberry - pygmy?
2nd pic - loropetalum
3rd pic - dwarf youpon
Old 02-16-2010, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoylebros View Post
1st pic is crimson barberry - pygmy?
2nd pic - loropetalum
3rd pic - dwarf youpon
I 2nd. that
Old 02-16-2010, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

After going back and looking more closely at the original photo, the evidense is still clear as a bell..... It isn't a berberis(Obviously)--you would know with their thorns!! It isn't a compacta! It isn't a yaupon!! Then what is it and after paying close attention to the shape, inner leaf pattern and the burned foliage they still call it a Loropetulum!!! ??
You asked this thread question, and we spoke! So now after having the time to do your own research and possibly speaking to a nursery what is the plant so we are all a little clearer on your topic.

Flascaper,
In my area, we have planted several hundred of all the species of plants pointed out in this thread. All of my commercial properties have loropetulums, compactas, berberis, nandina domestica, heavenly bamboo and rosey glow--to name a select few--we plant them!! I have yet to see our loropetulums sustain winter damage as shown on the photo. Our loropetulums are in fact, damaged from our hard snow and ice this winter and none of them remotely resemble the original photo. As a matter of fact, they are red-purple this time of the year and are not green in any inner foliage. I understand that the original poster is from SC, you are from Fl. and I from Ar. but the growing habits of this plant are still the same. Our petulums have magnificently large foliage and are vibrant in color. There is minisule damage from freezes, but not to this extent. The plants that are showing this kind of kill off from weather is the compacta's, the yaupon's, photina's, buxus, and other non deciduous and evergreen plants. It was not my intention to come on this forum and start a cursing war on plant identification, as I am knowledgable in my zones plant material. I guess it doesn't matter if we differ in answers, but I guess my original response was a little brass and forward, but I will not call out another LCO! I was trying to look further into the shape and color of the actual photo. If the camera in question didn't have adequate color saturation and presentation, then the colors will be scued as they appear to me. IF I was answering in a non-professional manner then so were you with remarks of your demeanor. Trust me--after 19 years in this business, I have opened up quite a few damn books and have taken alot of BS tests on horticulture and arboriculture. So lets stop the buck here with our A-class personalities and move on!!