Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-10-2010, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yes it is similar but its not just a bored out 3.8 as previous stated.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys-
looks like enough people have experience with this engine lasting awhile that I feel ok with looking into it. Sounds like there is a discrepancy with which architecture the engine has, OHC or pushrod...
Second Question-
I have heard that, if optioned with the 3.31 rearend, this truck is "gutless". People say the 3.55 is better, but, for $150 from Summit, I can get a 3.73 ring and pinion for the stock 8.8 housing. Has anybody done this swap? Supposed to help with starting under load and gives you a better gear so as to not ride the clutch with a trailer, etc. anyone done this conversion?
Old 02-10-2010, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You can put any gear you want in it. The newer models will make it more difficult to correct the odometer. On earlier years you can just change the gearing on the pickup but later models use a different method for the speedometer pick-up. The engine is a push rod and it was the last or one of the last ever used by Ford. I agree with the poster that it is a 3.8 based engine but it is not just simply bored out. They all have the same bore! they do however have a different crank and rods and most likely the piston has a different wrist pin height. Intake manifold is different and a few other things. Yes they may have been more brought back to the dealer, but 90% of the 4.2 trucks sold were for commercial use. I'm sure they were abused unlike the bigger V8 engines regular consumers bought. You don't seen any or very few 4.2 with any option other then base. V8 models almost always have higher options. To those that are confused OHV means it has over head valves not a camshaft that is over the cylinder head. All engines now a days have at least OHV.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Going from a 3.31 to a 3.55 you will not feel any difference at all and if you do your amazing. Even going to a 3.73 you won't feel much of a difference. I would stay away from the summit racing gears go with the Ford racing gear as it will have almost no run out. Also you will need a shim kit and to do the swap right you can get away without having a tool to measure the pinion depth with the ford racing gears. You will however need a dial indicator and micrometer or dial caliper to do the job. Its messy and if you never did it before I would not recommend. Most shops will do the whole job parts included for under 500. One more thing you will need is access to a press for the bearings to get the old ones off. You can use a oven or grill and freezer to get them back on.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Well then, would 4.10's help? Would that take too much off my top-end? And I guess I'd take it down to my mechanic to have it done, since I've never pulled gears before.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Get the truck first. You won't have any need to change the gear for pulling 4000 or less.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Just wondering... Would the 4.2-liter v6 AUTO be ok for pulling around an 5x10 in town with lawn equip. on it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-15-2010, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

It will be fine I pulled a 98 f-150 super crew on a trailer with my wright stander in the bed. I had zero issues and I had no problem going 70mph down the turnpike. Its a F-150 not a ranger and even a 4 cylinder ranger can handle a 5x10 with ease.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
It will be fine I pulled a 98 f-150 super crew on a trailer with my wright stander in the bed. I had zero issues and I had no problem going 70mph down the turnpike. Its a F-150 not a ranger and even a 4 cylinder ranger can handle a 5x10 with ease.
last i checked they didnt make super crews until 2000 or 2001...To the OP, yes that F150 will pull what youre needing to pull fine. get it.

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 02-15-2010, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I pulled a skidsteer and a 2200 lbs trailer one time in the early days of my company with my 02 4.2 5 speed. That was a little hairy when it came to breaking. But love that truck I have around 160,000 on it. Wouldn't trade that truck for the world.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
buy , truck