Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-03-2010, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Bobcat 331

I booked a rental on the 331 Bobcat to do some brush clearing on my families property. I used this same machine for a hour doing some rock picking it never really gave me a good feel for this machine. It was being shipped out to a remote inlet so I didn't want to be burning up the rental hours on the machine just did a quick job with it.

My question how good is this machine going to be on slopes I have a fairly steep section of driveway to walk down with it. The last time I had a 325 8 years ago doing some clearing and I d*mn near chit myself walking it down the steep section of road the machine was rolling on its nose if I didn't keep it crawling straight I would have tipped over on its side.

The rental for the machine for a 8 hour day is 275 a little steep but still cheaper than having a contractor come over and do it. I have been fighting with this scrub brush by hand so has dad it is time to scrape it off with a excavator.

This area has a bad invasion of Scotch Broom it is horrible crap to deal with it is taking over the road on the property and on the benches of the property I will either create a big burn pile or haul it away the neighbour has a huge burn pile already next door I may just add to it.

Hopefully I can get things cleaned up and it will give me something to do and prove to myself I can still do this kind of work. It has been 5 years since I spent time in a excavator.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Umm if it is that steep then use the boom to walk it down the hill.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanabe View Post
Umm if it is that steep then use the boom to walk it down the hill.
^^what he said
Old 09-03-2010, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Old 09-03-2010, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Goose View Post
alright...how did you do that...that is awesome
Old 09-03-2010, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I do use boom even when I used the 325 but holy chit lift the boom up and the machine wanted to take off. I even used the blade to help walk the machine down the hill. With the blade pushed all the way down the machine couldn't level itself off.

We will see how the 331 does it is a 7200lb machine compared to a 5700lb machine the 325 is.

I used to walk the old EX150 Hitachi I operated down steeper slopes but a fullsize machine too bad the only thing holding me in the seat was the seatbelt. I definatly found that machines limits when it came to how steep is safe.

Have to see how it goes when I get the machine on tuesday if it works out, dad has been talking about getting a 16 ton hoe to finish developing the property but just like any father the procrastinating.

Get things cleaned off get some grass growing over the areas so the black berries and the scotch broom doesn't take over.

The way property prices are around here I may end up getting a decent sized fifth wheel trailer and live in it on the property.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hire in one of the local contractors who are working for nothing and are all used to working on vertical slopes, get someone who is a year behind on his payments, then don't pay him like all the other customers up there, and if he is still in business next year when the scrub grows back, hire him again... take pics
Old 09-03-2010, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Boy View Post
Hire in one of the local contractors who are working for nothing and are all used to working on vertical slopes, get someone who is a year behind on his payments, then don't pay him like all the other customers up there, and if he is still in business next year when the scrub grows back, hire him again... take pics
I was thinking the same thing!
Old 09-03-2010, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Boy View Post
I don't hire anybody if I can't pay them I always pay my bills except for credit cards I lets them sweat a little bit.

I'am used to working on slopes just not in a mini there is a big difference between a 7000lb mini and a EX150 or a 690 John Deere. The old 690 I used to be in places were you look out the door of the machine and it is a 20 foot drop from the door. The guys I worked with always said don't be a chicken.

Curious to see how this machine does if it works well then I may consider finding a used 3.5 ton class mini for brush clearing. Many contractors with mini excavating don't do tree falling I can fall trees and have years of chainsaw experience.

There is a little market for light landclearing stuff that landscapers do by hand can be done with a small machine scrubbing out a area.

See if I can sneak the company camera home for a couple days. It will be about time I do something where I see the results.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Didn't you just rant on TSS saying that you ran a 30 ton hoe on slopes so steep you couldn't walk on? This should be a gravy job for you.

This is what I would do

First, pull out the operators manual for the machine, should be located behind the seat.

Read and study over that.

Note any questions or concerns you have.

Make sure you know what the control patterns are set as.

be aware of what end the drive motors and blade is on.

Find the ignition

put the key in the ignition ( DO NOT START THE MACHINE, YOU MAY CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH)

Hire Someone who does this for a living

Oh man We need Dave to do a story on the phone call between GR and the rental company on how he just flipped his boob cat over on the driveway being a weekend warrior.

"Life is like running a motor grader. You have to look down the road and plan for whats ahead and not down at your feet!"

http://www.youtube.com/user/letsdig18

New facebook fan page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Letsdi...3541611?v=wall