Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-19-2015, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What's wrong with this picture? 14k trailer

What's wrong with this picture?

Took a tire off today that has a slow leak. I found a broken leaf spring. Axle just hanging by one eye bolt.

I looked on the other side of the trailer and saw what is in the attached pictures.. Doesn't look right to me and my axle book says that leaf should be over the keeper bolt on the hanger, not under it.

I had the axles replaced under warranty. I'm wondering if the dealer didn't install the leafs correctly on my front axle.
The rear has the slipper leaf hanging over the keeper bolt on the rear hanger.

I don't know much about suspension systems other than what's in my book. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks!
Attached Images

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 04-19-2015, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Looks like they are installed on wrong side of bolt.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-19-2015, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Same as above wrong side
Old 04-20-2015, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

X3. Don't take anything back there!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-21-2015, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I got it fixed yesterday. Picked up a new leaf pack. Replaced retainer bolts, u bolts, etc to get it back to new. Ordered a new leaf pack and will install on the other side since it was not doing its job. I'm not through with that company.. They will get a letter. I just wish I caught it earlier. Luckily I don't use the trailer that much but I am now.

More and more of these places hire incompetent technicians. I've found rags, tools, etc. stuffed in my vehicles. Once I couldn't get my hood all the way down because it was hitting a wrench left by the dealer!

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 04-21-2015, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-21-2015, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's something. I figure they were backed up and gave the janitor his shot at promotion. That could have been an epic wreck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-21-2015, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
That's something. I figure they were backed up and gave the janitor his shot at promotion. That could have been an epic wreck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes. I talked to the company today and they have never seen a slipper leaf come out. Thing is, I don't remember seeing that and my mechanic who put new tires on it didn't see it either. So maybe it's possible it came out some way but I don't see how unless they installed too short of a slipper leaf but that doesn't seem likely and it matches my other trailer's design (same axles but different brakes).

UGGH. I am one of those guys who gets under my trailer fairly often to look for cracks or problems with wires (brush catching them, mice, etc.) That I didn't notice it or really know much about suspension makes me po'd at myself for never taking the time to learn. I got educated real fast and encourage everyone that hauls something heavy to do a walk around whether you are required to or not. Also, I try and use heavier than necessary hitches, couplers, and tires as added precaution/and for longevity. I'd like to get 5-8 years out of a trailer before buying another one or refurbishing it.
I see a lot of dangerous stuff on the road that could be avoided if the guy just gave a crap or cared that his rig was safe. I could have been one of those accidents and thank God I wasn't. It wasn't neglect on my part, it was partial ignorance on what I was or wasn't seeing and either shoddy work or a freak occurence but I'm glad it was caught but for the life of me, I cannot remember seeing it that way as late as a week ago when I first looked for a nail in my tire.

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 04-21-2015, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I spent my youth as truck mechanic apprentice on check line in Buffalo in winter. I crawled over every inch of those rigs. 1 cracked leaf and a DOT inspector gave you the riot act. Never seen one slip. Never seen a broken bolt. That's a rookie mistake there.
Posted via Mobile Device