Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-14-2010, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
You're a puss. I've done 100 mile backpacking trips with 40-50 pound packs. It's not that hard.
You pack your gear in and work 10 hours and pack your gear back out. You do ride a quad as far as you can go or like I said you ride a helicopter to get to the site. Some places you drive to a marina get into a crew boat go for a 30-60 minute boat ride then climb up the beach to the bush crummy drive another 20 minutes up a utility road to the power lines.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No pics today. I had to quit early today. Final score: Bees 20+ Thomas 3? This pretty well solidifies a cab machine this fall for me.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. -Unknown
Old 06-16-2010, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Location: Louisville KY mainly... I bounce from place to place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
You pack your gear in and work 10 hours and pack your gear back out. You do ride a quad as far as you can go or like I said you ride a helicopter to get to the site. Some places you drive to a marina get into a crew boat go for a 30-60 minute boat ride then climb up the beach to the bush crummy drive another 20 minutes up a utility road to the power lines.
So? That's what I do a lot. I'l pack a 660 or 395 with full wrap, 32 inch bar on the saw, 42 inch on a pack, 3 chains for each, 6 5 pound wedges, the pack itself up 1:1 or steeper grades. You ride in on a skiff, then hike in. At least that's what I did along the river... Bottom line: You are a puss. If you can't work in the bush, don't male it seem so bad and turn other people off that want to do forestry. We will always need wood, so there will always be a forestry job. You make it seem bad and no one will want to do that line of work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2010, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
So? That's what I do a lot. I'l pack a 660 or 395 with full wrap, 32 inch bar on the saw, 42 inch on a pack, 3 chains for each, 6 5 pound wedges, the pack itself up 1:1 or steeper grades. You ride in on a skiff, then hike in. At least that's what I did along the river... Bottom line: You are a puss. If you can't work in the bush, don't male it seem so bad and turn other people off that want to do forestry. We will always need wood, so there will always be a forestry job. You make it seem bad and no one will want to do that line of work.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have friends that are fallers I was taught by them the money is good a faller makes 300-400 dollars a day they work 6 hours a day.

Falling on the West Coast

www.youtube.com/user/gypsy8844#p/u/2/N_M7F5zfVeY

www.youtube.com/user/gypsy8844#p/u/9/NJp6Jvc0kN0

Lets put it this way Ozz this isn't what you would see where you are from there is 90 tons worth of logs on the truck.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxTJ9NaVnxc
Old 06-16-2010, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

GR you must be the most popular guy in the SSC
Old 06-16-2010, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=Gravel Rat;3607111]I have friends that are fallers I was taught by them the money is good a faller makes 300-400 dollars a day they work 6 hours a day.

Lets put it this way Ozz this isn't what you would see where you are from there is 90 tons worth of logs on the truck.

[QUOTE/]

Lets put it this way GR; I'm pretty sure some of the big hardowods we've got here compare to stuff in the PNW/B.C. I fell a Sycamore a couple weeks ago that was 124" at the base. I had to use an 880 running an 80" bar. I took several pines down that were over 200' and 60" at the base. There are lots of old growth Cheery, Oak and Maple that are the same size as an averge Douglas Fir out your way. I was taught by my dad. He was old skool and willing to do just about anything. I can do a swing cut,... Just about anything a PNW faller can do.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I have friends that are fallers I was taught by them the money is good a faller makes 300-400 dollars a day they work 6 hours a day.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxTJ9NaVnxc
Just because they taught you doesnt mean you really know what its like to do that work..

I love it when your proved wrong though. Because you come back trying to embarass the person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 06-16-2010, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
Just because they taught you doesnt mean you really know what its like to do that work..

I love it when your proved wrong though. Because you come back trying to embarass the person.
Junior you can't even use a chainsaw.

I started using chainsaws when I was 16 when I started in the firewood business the saw I started out with was a 051 Stihl with a 36 inch bar on it.

One logging contractor will log 30,000 cubic meters out of one cut block that is 800 loads of logs.

Do you even know what this Junior ?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iI-N6KzfFI
Old 06-16-2010, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

I started using chainsaws when I was 16 when I started in the firewood business the saw I started out with was a 051 Stihl with a 36 inch bar on it.

One logging contractor will log 30,000 cubic meters out of one cut block that is 800 loads of logs.

GR, I love it when somebody proves you wrong. You cant do a thing but insult them.

Btw, I can use a chainsaw, been around them most of my life. Started using them when I was 14.

Oh I forgot to mention, I been working for a tree company.

I start climbing next week. I've been climbing for close to a year but I've never actually rigged and worked a tree from a set of spurs.

And no I dont know what that is. But all the logging that goes on around here is shovel logging.. So why would I know what that is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 06-16-2010, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

I could teach him just about anything he want to know... Unlike YOU. I'm pretty damn sure he can. And working with a tree guy, he know how to run a saw, but doesn't get the full logging experiance, which you don't have either.

Oh, and they rolled the logs off the truck to float them to a mill/dock, and if they're floated to a dock, they get trucked/barged to a mill.

Just admit someone has proved you wrong. I have, so you forget me and go after Jordan. It's pathetic.