Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-16-2010, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
I could teach him just about anything he want to know... Unlike YOU. I'm pretty damn sure he can. And working with a tree guy, he know how to run a saw, but doesn't get the full logging experiance, which you don't have either.

Oh, and they rolled the logs off the truck to float them to a mill/dock, and if they're floated to a dock, they get trucked/barged to a mill.

Just admit someone has proved you wrong. I have, so you forget me and go after Jordan. It's pathetic.
I get as much actual logging experience from residential tree work as GR does doing firewood..

But in my opinion, logging and a tree company each have there own dangers along with skill. A tree company needs alot more fine skills. Not only do you have to be able to drop a tree but you need to know how run a rope, tie knots, throw limbs and blocks of wood.. Where with logging, (I am not bashing logging, I am going into the logging industry if we dont get any where with the Bobcat) you can drop a tree and it not really matter where it falls or how, as long as it goes down and nobody gets hurt.. We cant do that, we could take out a tree that wants to be kept or even worse on a house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 06-16-2010, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
I get as much actual logging experience from residential tree work as GR does doing firewood..

you can drop a tree and it not really matter where it falls or how, as long as it goes down and nobody gets hurt.. We cant do that, we could take out a tree that wants to be kept or even worse on a house.
Wrong. You have to at least try to not damage as much wood from the tree or any of the trees around it.

But, it's true. They are very different animals. As far as falling- It couldn't be more diferent other than the fact that you need to fall a tree in a specific place. I tired doing tree work in a residential area, and it's okay... But there's nothing like seeing a huge spruce go over, and getting the crash it make when it hits the ground. I don't like it as much as even utilites work, other than the fact I get to use my saws.

And, J, how do you guys log down there? Is it much different than the Swamp Loggers show? I've always just cut, making sure I get as many board feet out of every log possible, not damaging the wood falling it, limb it, buck it depending on the size, skid it out using my loader/ whatever's on site... Ususally my loader or a dozer, and cut it to lengths the mill want it at the log deck/landing.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I have nothing against anybody here I have been in Juniors position working with a procrastinating father it is a real pain in the azz.

I hope Junior can make it in what ever he chooses he did make the right choice of getting out of that transmission shop.

Guys Juniors age are going to get screwed by the gov't the big Obama isn't improving things and the US economy isn't improving.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Never heard of a pine tree growing over 200'. I believe the eastern white pine is the largest species this side of the mississippi and doesn't get above 125' or so.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisfarmer View Post
Never heard of a pine tree growing over 200'. I believe the eastern white pine is the largest species this side of the mississippi and doesn't get above 125' or so.
Okay, maybe I was exagerating. But seriously, it was a big ass tree.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Wrong. You have to at least try to not damage as much wood from the tree or any of the trees around it.

But, it's true. They are very different animals. As far as falling- It couldn't be more diferent other than the fact that you need to fall a tree in a specific place. I tired doing tree work in a residential area, and it's okay... But there's nothing like seeing a huge spruce go over, and getting the crash it make when it hits the ground. I don't like it as much as even utilites work, other than the fact I get to use my saws.

And, J, how do you guys log down there? Is it much different than the Swamp Loggers show? I've always just cut, making sure I get as many board feet out of every log possible, not damaging the wood falling it, limb it, buck it depending on the size, skid it out using my loader/ whatever's on site... Ususally my loader or a dozer, and cut it to lengths the mill want it at the log deck/landing.
I've got absolutely no logging experience so give me a break on that..

I've went in and just cut trees, its definetly alot more fun. I like it! The tree company occasionally gets a lot to clear and we'll go in and cut all the trees we can sell for timber, pulp or firewood first. thats a heck of a lot more fun than working around a house. Its kinda stressful. But both are fun imo. But I am going into the logging business before I go off on my own in excavation.

And we log just like swamp loggers..

except all the feller bunchers around here are basically real heavy front end loaders with stumpers on them. But thats because nothing that swampy is logged around here. Oh yeah, and nobody is as big of a production company as Goodson Loggings so no shovels or clambunks are used..

Basically this is the typically logging outfit.
1 Prentice Loader(trailer mounted) with a hydraulic saw for bucking
1-2 skidders of various brands (Alot of CAT and JD)
1 wheeled Feller buncher (one crew of one certain race that runs some raggedy equipment uses a 1080 Bobcat skidsteer with a shear)

Then the trucking is either subbed or done by the company itself. The number of trucks is hard to tell, nobody letters there trucks.

Then the method is just like Bobby Goodsons, except the feller buncher kinda plays double duty stacking piles(like a shovel) as much as possible to save the skidders work.

then your skidding comes into play and no companys as big as Bobby, so one operator plays double duty between skidding or felling and loading trucks. Usually the felling is done so that operator goes to the loader. and then there are dedicated operators for the skidder(s) So thats 3 guys right there and usually one or 2 guys on the deck limbing and doing little BS.

Quote:

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 06-17-2010, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cool. My gig isn't that big. I do contract falling and general logging. I wouldn't go after any tracts the size of the guys down south, it's just to big for 2 guys, 2 saws and a track loader as a skidder. I have to admit, Ive been looking at some used JD 540s with low hours... If I could get a deal Id jump on it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-17-2010, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Cool. My gig isn't that big. I do contract falling and general logging. I wouldn't go after any tracts the size of the guys down south, it's just to big for 2 guys, 2 saws and a track loader as a skidder. I have to admit, Ive been looking at some used JD 540s with low hours... If I could get a deal Id jump on it.
Posted via Mobile Device
They log anything from a halfacre to a hundreds here.. Theres a place like 15min from my place this a clear cut almost as far as you can see from that point.

the 540, thats a winch skidder isnt it? I'd like to get into logging but right now theres no money in it. And you gotta have big money to get into it.. Atleast to make a living. I wouldnt mind a small set up like you got.

Quote:

Old 06-17-2010, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
They log anything from a halfacre to a hundreds here.. Theres a place like 15min from my place this a clear cut almost as far as you can see from that point.

the 540, thats a winch skidder isnt it? I'd like to get into logging but right now theres no money in it.And you gotta have big money to get into it.. Atleast to make a living. I wouldnt mind a small set up like you got.
Yah. Chokers are what I'm used to, and I'm not going to get used to a grapple rightnow and lose porduction with the economy right now.

"The best way wto make a small fortune in the forest industry is to start with a large one."- Multiple guys with bigger outfits than me.

A lot of people have a 50-60 horse tractor with a loader and use a Fangaurd or Farmi winch. They're PTO driven, and are REALLY useful. They're just a bit pricey. But, 50-60 horse tractors can be found for cheap.

The small setup I've got... Is great. I pull bigger turns than a tractor with my loader, they just take longer. I usually will take my buddy Thomas, and we'll go and fall for a day and get double what I skid in a day, so he has enough space to breathe when he falls the rest to not be in a hurry and damage wood and when I move the loader on site, I can start skidding immediatley.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Yah. Chokers are what I'm used to, and I'm not going to get used to a grapple rightnow and lose porduction with the economy right now.

"The best way wto make a small fortune in the forest industry is to start with a large one."- Multiple guys with bigger outfits than me.

A lot of people have a 50-60 horse tractor with a loader and use a Fangaurd or Farmi winch. They're PTO driven, and are REALLY useful. They're just a bit pricey. But, 50-60 horse tractors can be found for cheap.

The small setup I've got... Is great. I pull bigger turns than a tractor with my loader, they just take longer. I usually will take my buddy Thomas, and we'll go and fall for a day and get double what I skid in a day, so he has enough space to breathe when he falls the rest to not be in a hurry and damage wood and when I move the loader on site, I can start skidding immediatley.
I think a grapple is much more productive, atleast it is here but you probably cut in alot worse terrain where you cant get right to the wood.

But like you said you gotta get used to it which takes time. Plus its kind of an aquired skill that takes some thought so your not making alot of useless turns.

I've seen those winches before. Nedly has one on his Kioti. I'd love to have it to be able to get a niche in small selective logging jobs for homeowners and hunt clubs.

Selective logging is a joke here. Before our hunt club was a hunt club the owner had it selectively logged. That was a joke! He cut down all but like 5 trees in 20some acres. And he beat the hell of them in the process..

Quote: