Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-10-2010, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanabe View Post
You guys still oil alot of roads or has it cut back some due to $? Seems like our township is just oiling a few roads now due to the high price of oil and lack of funding. Alot of the roads are going to heck right now not having the yearly oil/chip.
We've been cut back due to funding shortfalls and product increases. ( not to mention increased competition ) Everyone (municipalities) have been cut in half or better in less than 5 years. The township roads mostly started as oiled dirt, so there's no substantial base under them. Add to that bigger loads today, drainage issues for various reasons, and the freeze thaw cycle. You'll start seeing rock roads again unless things change.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. -Unknown
Old 02-10-2010, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I remembered this tear out from Construction Digest Oct. 7,1971. They came out to do a story on the MF loader because we had one of the first ones in the area. I don't know if you'll be able to see in the pic, but they superimposed a hardhat on my dad. Pop said we only kept it a year or two, very agile, but without 4wd very limited in what you could do. He said when he had to road it, he would drive it backwards due to the whip from going forwards.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. -Unknown
Old 03-04-2010, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I finally got a job with my U35 and US Mower. Here's some pics from today.

before

before zoom

1 hr in

zoomed

finished

zoomed

from the other end
Old 03-04-2010, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How did the mower work in that thicker brush?
Old 03-04-2010, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisfarmer View Post
Hope it was warmer than it looked. How long did it take for the whole thing?
Old 03-04-2010, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuvecorp View Post

It was about 40 today, with a strong wind. I tried to go bass fishing late the afternoon but was froze after 20 min lol!
Old 03-04-2010, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Suprisingly well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuvecorp View Post
It was in the low 40's. It took me 4 hrs to cut that section, around all the trees and limbs that had already been felled there.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Worked on another section today. This is spaced out in three areas on one road. I should finish tomorrow.

I also took the time to shoot a video today. Thanks to Ron for the advice on the camera mount. I haven't bought a magnet yet so I just suctioned the camera to the ROPS. You can see it in the shadow. I am wondering if others with mowers stall out like mine. The stumps are 3"+/- when I start to stall.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V23DPnyqn44
Tom
Old 03-05-2010, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mysticalflounder (great Youtube name by the way....my last name IS Fish), great video. I thought that did pretty well in the brush, gives me more confidence than the pics and vids of it high grass and your initial thoughts you had posted. I want 1 so bad for my KX121, I wish I could rent or borrow 1 prior to purchase to make sure it will do what I want......although I don't have the $ or the paying jobs for it yet. I bet the mower would mow my wallet better than thicker brush

BTW, why not bugee up those hoses to the dipper. Also, would you feel having a thumb with mower would be useful? How is the oil temperature?
Old 03-05-2010, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
BTW, why not bugee up those hoses to the dipper. Also, would you feel having a thumb with mower would be useful? How is the oil temperature?
Did that today and managed to hook the bungee on a branch. It would not break, the hook just untwisted. A thumb would definitely help. So many times I would top a tree to tall to reach and I would have a 6' end somewhere to chase down and chop up. Or at least something that I could put some weight against. I read that I shouldn't use it like a bucket since it may become untrue. It gets tricky trying to walk it down slopes and not really being able to use the stick. I monitor the guages and haven't noticed anything yet.