Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-05-2010, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You were mowing in my neck of the woods! My farm is out on North Carolina RD. You were in bolo township right?
Old 03-06-2010, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, the first part I did was on Lake rd..
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. -Unknown
Old 03-08-2010, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some more pics of Nebraska RD.
Before

During

After

The customer was aware that I wouldn't be able to take all of the trees all the way down. He will come back later and finish with a saw.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. -Unknown
Old 03-08-2010, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That looks great That mower works fine IMO with brush and what not. Pretty good match with that U35.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you had more hydraulic flow would it handle those trees that you left or would you need a different mower head to do them? It does look much better. How has it been selling this kind of work?
Old 03-08-2010, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisfarmer View Post
That looks great That mower works fine IMO with brush and what not. Pretty good match with that U35.
Thank you. I don't like that I am constantly turning the hyds on and off to extend the stick. It's obvious to me that there is room for improvement. I am definitely at the max for this machine though. It's plenty tippy, but that could be a partially to blame on the fact that I sped up the hyds to compensate for lack thereof. If I'm trying to extend the stick and turn off the aux it will really pop the stick. I'd like some more counterweight, but I haven't put too much thought in that one yet. I do like the fact that even on the narrow road I didn't have to move over to allow traffic through. 0 tail swing

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuvecorp View Post
If you had more hydraulic flow would it handle those trees that you left or would you need a different mower head to do them? It does look much better. How has it been selling this kind of work?
I'm debating hitting up a couple of salesmen to see if we could set up a demo to see the difference. I've asked ARP to review my video, but he hasn't responded yet. Selling the work has been slow. I sent out a qustionaire to about 100 customers and I mentioned the mower, along with some other stuff. OF those I got about 40 back and about 10 were interested. This was my first hire, I've got two other commitments and haven't heard from the rest. It will be slow at first, several said they would be interested if they had $$.

I looked at US MOwer and Cimaf to see about upping capacity but it appears that I would need at least a 15T excv. to do so. That's not in the cards right now.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The next two weeks will be pretty stressful for us. Our three main maintenance contracts will be up for bidding. There will be a lot of competition, and everyone is hungry. We've had some of these contracts for nearly 35 years, but every year is a whole new start. My suppliers are being tight lipped about final prices, but I expect some downward movement. The numbers I have seen from other counties in the district are scary.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We used to see only oiling/sanding and now chip coating in the last few years. Now, from what I am told by my good friend who is town road agent, it is basically the same $ to do an overlay and that is the way they are planning $ wise for the future. No seal coating at all. I live in NH in an old town from 1739 and the roads are basically manure and topsoil which was eventually oiled over and became streets. Accordingly, the frost heaves are UNBELIEVABLE. I am not joking, you can barely drive. They have to go around with sand and fill in the bad heaves/ holes so no one gets hurt.

Standard practice is to bring in a reclaimer which grinds up the top 2'+/-..add some gravel...compact as road base...and go with 1 thick layer 1st. Let sit 1-2 years, repave.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry, I've been away from good internet access for a bit. A few of those trees could be ground down a bit more with a little more flow, but for the most part the results look the same. After running the mower on the 50D for a while, I've noticed no loss in performance when I had to move the stick, but I did notice some when I have to move the arm up and down. I just flip the trigger button quickly, make my height adjustment, and keep on mowing. The mower tends to keeping spinning at high revolutions a lot longer with no flow to it then my mulcher does, so that is why it is possible to keep toggling the flow while making adjustments to the boom and not loose any time mowing.

WWW.ARPLANTE.COM

A.R.Plante on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...0670251?ref=ts

Check Out Our Videos on YouTube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/arplante...s?feature=mhee
Old 03-13-2010, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisfarmer View Post
We used to see only oiling/sanding and now chip coating in the last few years. Now, from what I am told by my good friend who is town road agent, it is basically the same $ to do an overlay and that is the way they are planning $ wise for the future. No seal coating at all. I live in NH in an old town from 1739 and the roads are basically manure and topsoil which was eventually oiled over and became streets. Accordingly, the frost heaves are UNBELIEVABLE. I am not joking, you can barely drive. They have to go around with sand and fill in the bad heaves/ holes so no one gets hurt.

Standard practice is to bring in a reclaimer which grinds up the top 2'+/-..add some gravel...compact as road base...and go with 1 thick layer 1st. Let sit 1-2 years, repave.
A lot of the same things here. They used to oil the dirt and then come with a blade or a tree branch and turn it over. They would cover with sawdust, sand, and dirt. We have some really bad heaving going on as well, 6+ in isn't out of the question. They have tried to reclaim rural oil and chip roads but end up pulling up mud and making things worse. We seem to get better results building the roads up with a mixture of road pack (CA-6 or Grade 8 in our neck of the woods) and emulsified asphalt. This can take several applications or in a worse case scenario we will core it out.