Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-20-2011, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioilyouin View Post
Ron I'm running the 5.7 gasser, and it's stone stock. Pops doesn't seem too worried, he said he ran a lighter 3/4 truck with a tri-axle with singles for 6 years in the 70's. As long as he kept his load under 20K he wasn't worried and claims that he made six hour runs with it. But he won't be the one getting the ticket or wiping out his drawers if something happens.
WOW Pops must have gotten a mile to the gallon back then with those big drinkers.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 01-20-2011, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just don't get in a hurry and you will be ok. I pull my T-300 arround with my superduty, 5.4 auto gas. Lets just say its not going to win any race by far. But it does get me from point A to point B just fine.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nice truck/trailer. I've pulled Cat and ASV 10k tracked skids in my 14K gooseneck dump trailer w/ a 2500 dodge gasser a few times. It had the power to get up to speed pretty good and stopping was fine with my electric brakes. Just gotta steer clear of weighmasters.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Member

No wonder the front tires were lifting off the ground just with the trailer pin weight with a 5.7 under the hood.

Nothing wrong with a gasser pulling trailers just gotta do things differently the 5.7 Hemi doesn't have the low end grunt like the old 460 Ford and 454 Chevy. The old 440 Chryslers didn't have much bottom end power thou.

Braking power is your biggest issue trying to do a panic stop with some women talking on her cellphone or slathering on lip stick while she is driving is your biggest worry when she cuts you off.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
No wonder the front tires were lifting off the ground just with the trailer pin weight with a 5.7 under the hood.

Nothing wrong with a gasser pulling trailers just gotta do things differently the 5.7 Hemi doesn't have the low end grunt like the old 460 Ford and 454 Chevy. The old 440 Chryslers didn't have much bottom end power thou.

Braking power is your biggest issue trying to do a panic stop with some women talking on her cellphone or slathering on lip stick while she is driving is your biggest worry when she cuts you off.
Um he has electric brakes on that trailer. I know what size shoes are on it and he will have no problem stopping providing he has the brakes set right.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanabe View Post
Um he has electric brakes on that trailer. I know what size shoes are on it and he will have no problem stopping providing he has the brakes set right.
He will want the trailer brakes to do most of the work because the brakes on a 3/4 ton will get hot pretty quick. I know the tandem duallys run decent brakes on them, better than a tandem single.

Even with 4 wheel disk brakes on a 3/4 ton they are still under braked you have to use slotted or vented rotors to keep the heat down.

You compare a 2500 Dodge it has 13 inch brake rotors compared to a Ford F-450 which has 14.5 inch on the front and 15.5 on the rear.

A Dodge Sterling 4500/5500 uses 15 inch front rotors and uses 15 inch rotors on the rear.

It is why if you have a heavier trailer tow it with a 4500/5500 size truck the 3500 Dually Dodge isn't any better it uses the exact same brakes as a 2500 so your not gaining absolutely no more braking.

The GMC/Chevy 5500 trucks use 15 inch rotors aswell front and back so they don't have anymore braking power over a Ford or a Dodge/Sterling. The only thing GMC/Chevy have is optional 4 piston rear calipers.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post

who said anything about the front end comming off the ground? I axled out the truck and had 3500 on the front and 5500 on the rear, within the axle ratings on the tag.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. -Unknown
Old 01-20-2011, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You'll do it... But my reccomendation would be to get a dually diesel 1 ton.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why not put a trapdoor in the bed and put a gooseneck hitch on the 550? Unless it's a stainless steel bed it wouldn't be remotely difficult. Even then the right bottle of gas and roll of wire and your burning metal.

Ozz i dig the Half Life poster. Take that boxes.
THEY JUST QUIT HORSIN AROUND
Old 01-20-2011, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioilyouin View Post
who said anything about the front end comming off the ground? I axled out the truck and had 3500 on the front and 5500 on the rear, within the axle ratings on the tag.
I was just giving you the razz