Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-23-2014, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry for the lack of activity, but here's a few pics from the past year.

My daughter on her day with dad.

My son on his day with dad.

Tacking for a paver in O'fallon, IL.

Improvising when there's no truck available.

Working today. I'll get some better pics of the weights I added to counter the AFE head. You'll also notice I pulled the thumb to shave weight. Maybe a video to come.

Bad bolt I guess, it doesn't have 20 hours on it.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. -Unknown
Old 01-23-2014, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looks good! How many hours on your E50 now? Looking forward to the pictures of the additional weights you added.

Anyone can run equipment, very few can operate.

Check out what I do.
http://www.youtube.com/user/BobcatNinja2124

The company I work for.
http://www.interstatelandscapenh.com/

Follow me on Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/TheDirtNinja
Old 01-23-2014, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

just clicked 1060 today. I know I don't tack on the hours like you Tom, but if I can keep it together I should be able to cut into May/June. Got lots of holdovers from last winter.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. -Unknown
Old 01-24-2014, 06:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

how do you like the AC 840?
Old 01-25-2014, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think that we bought it new in '76. A lot of other loaders have come and gone, but it's been a constant. We overhauled the engine a few years ago. It wouldn't be worth anything to trade in, so it's not going anywhere. Our 2000 Deere 324H is down for the count and the AC sure beats renting something. It's our dirt machine, it's got a faster road gear than the Deere, it lifts more, and WE can work on it.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I really liked the AC840 at my last job. Despite being almost 40 years old it was increadibly productive. The turning radius was great, good power, good lift. Only thing I didn't like about it was the cab. We called it a periscope cab since it was so tall and narrow, and I couldn't ever get the seat in a spot that was comfortable. Right before I left that job we pulled the cab off for some maintenance, and It would have been a completely different machine with an open operator's station, talk about crazy visibility.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyp View Post
Did that make a significant difference?? and if you don`t mind, approximately how much did they charge to do that? Thanks Tony
I don't remember offhand but I know that it's North of 2K for what I had done.

When the tail is over the blade, there is only a 1.5" gap to the top of the blade mount.

They made 2 templates out of thin guage prior to cutting the 1" sheet. The counterweight rests on a lip on the back of the frame. It is secured with bolts inside the engine compartment that drop down. I couldn't find bolts that fit the bill, so I had to make my own out of hardened allthread. We recessed the bolt holes in the plate to cut down on overall thickness. When I originally laid it out I had a small access hole for the oil drain. This small hole cut down on airflow in the engine compartment and I had overheating. So I had to remove the plate and went ahead and cut it to the size of the opening.
My brother is not very clean, when servicing anything.

The bottom of the counterweight is beveled so I used the widest part of the weight. The plate is 5" outside of that, so when I am straight everything still is inside the tracks.

I had them put holes in the lip so that I could stack on more plates. I envisoned all of the plates being interchangeable, but we didn't engineer everything perfectly. The plates were leftovers from the stock sheet.

Overall It's 700# more, but it still wasn't enough. I still had to take my thumb and cylinder off to shave weight. I just logged about 25 hours on some fairly steep hillsides and it stayed firmly planted.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks----That looks like a very nice job, and I am happy it worked out for you.....Bobcat phoned on their survey--a while ago--and I suggested they have a design that an owner could attach counter weights ...I have a six hundred pound rotary mower, and it is tippy, but I can carefully use it to great advantage...Again thanks Tony
Old 01-29-2014, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My US Mower is 400ish#'s. The AFE is 900#'s. When I ordered it the specs put it at 600ish#'s. Not for sure where that fell apart...150% of what you thought you were going to swing is a BIG deal. The thumb cut 220#s and the plate soaked up a lot of the leftover weight.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Well in my case , I was just ignorant....But that is the way I am , and expect the person selling me something, to be more descriptive.....I`v made the best out of it, and just am careful not to get it too high when the mower is not directly in front of the machine....Almost gave myself a bloody nose a couple of times :-) It sure will cut alot of area, fairly quickly, and just knock down the really large Myrtles that we have in S C....Again a nice job and thanks for the descriptive pictures etc...Tony