Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-09-2010, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Member

New Cat Excavators

Check out Cat.com and and rollover the Tier 4 press event and a picture of at least a new color-schemed excavator shows up. I'm guessing E-series, but I'll be interested to see when they introduce it. Is it me or have they changed their series pretty frequently the past couple of years?
Old 02-09-2010, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Member

That color scheme will have to grow on me..I have liked the cylinders being painted black since they started doing that, so I'm glad to see it continued...It does seem like they have been changing things up frequently...
Old 02-09-2010, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No matter how frequently they change up the series of machines, they still can't get it right.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco View Post
No matter how frequently they change up the series of machines, they still can't get it right.
What's wrong with them? Reliability aside (and I realize that's a huge aspect of how much an operator will like a machine), I thought successive series have gotten closer and closer to the competition if not surpassing it.

That aside, the high rear-end is somewhat worrisome.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerotor77W View Post
What's wrong with them? Reliability aside (and I realize that's a huge aspect of how much an operator will like a machine), I thought successive series have gotten closer and closer to the competition if not surpassing it.
You're kidding right? Aside from reliability? Ummmm, where do I start? Reliability is about the biggest issue with them, but on a similar yet different front, they don't last. They are nice when they are new, but get some hours on them and they just don't cut it. I could keep going, but there's no real point. On a good note though, I have always liked their cabs the best. The most comfortable cab to sit and wait for a mechanic in.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco View Post
You're kidding right? Aside from reliability? Ummmm, where do I start? Reliability is about the biggest issue with them, but on a similar yet different front, they don't last. They are nice when they are new, but get some hours on them and they just don't cut it. I could keep going, but there's no real point. On a good note though, I have always liked their cabs the best. The most comfortable cab to sit and wait for a mechanic in.
Thats a bit harsh dont ya think. I have seen more cat trackhoe's with high hours than most other makes IMO. What makes do you like?
Old 02-09-2010, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Personally, I prefer Hitachi/Deere and then next in line would be Komatsu. What are you considering high hours?
Old 02-09-2010, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We have three Hitachi/ Deere exc. A 450, 330, and a 270. The 450 and the 330 have around 3000 to 3500 hours on them the 270 is higher. We have a 330 Cat that has 5-6000 (not exactly sure) hours that runs like a champ. I've seen an old 235C Cat that had almost 20,000 hours on it that was reliable as all hell. Granted it had ancient technology and the cycle times were so slow you could clock them with a sun dial...

Old 02-09-2010, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know of 6 cat excavators around here that have 8,000 plus. One 320 is a 94 and has over 20,000 and he has only had to change minor parts. Our 315 has over 5,000 and nothing to change yet. This is just my opnion and what I have seen around here.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Cat hoes last the longest, period. You won't find a hoe that lasts longer than Cat, just doesn't exist. Deere comes in second, Komatsus start falling apart after 10,000 hours. I've seen a FEW 10,000+ hour Komatsus out there but not very many. Ran a PC200-6 with 12,000 hours and a PC400-6 with 11,000 at the last outfit I was with. They both ran okay but were pretty tired and in all honesty, probably about to get traded off from what I had heard from the boss. We have a Cat 315L at work with 15,000 hours, still going. Don't get me wrong, Komatsu builds a good hoe they just don't last as long. Komatsus are good producers and will get the job done without a doubt but to say Cat builds a crappy hoe that doesn't last simply isn't matter of fact.

Go hard, go fast, or go home