Register free!

Old 02-09-2010, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Good time for Aeration & Thatching

When is the best time to aerate and thatch your lawn, Spring or Fall?
Old 02-09-2010, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Spring. Just before it starts getting green. Aerating should be done several times a year depending on soil and traffic over the turf. Anyone with kids and/or dogs should get aerated 3 times a year.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lol, thats gotta be a joke whipples. 3 aerations a year? Haha. Best time for aeration is fall time, dethatching can be done anytime you feel like making a mess and tearing up your yard.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoetschOutdoor View Post
Lol, thats gotta be a joke whipples. 3 aerations a year? Haha. Best time for aeration is fall time, dethatching can be done anytime you feel like making a mess and tearing up your yard.
Around this neck of the woods everyone does it in the spring. Nobody has ever done aerating in the fall here ever. I do my own yard 2 or 3 times a year and its better than any of my customers yards. I get about 2 more mows out of mine than my customers as well. As far as the dethatching you obviously are a rookie. Thats supposed to be done when its dormant. Your response doesn't impress me much there pal.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dethatch when the grass is dormant? LOL, you want me to dethatch in Jan. and February? Get outta here. Dethatching can be done anytime of the year Howey, there are obvious better times to do it but just dont get out when its 100 degrees and overstress the grass anymore than you gotta. Whipples, I think your lawn is needing aeration boy. LMAO, you cut your lawn two more times than your neighbor!!!! How many cuts did he have according to your journal? 3 aerations a year, you got OTHER BIG PROBLEMS if you are aerating 3 frieken times. HAH, good midmorning laugh. Gotta go let my two 80lb dogs out to run some laps around the pool while the ground is frozen solid and my grass is dormant. Dang, whipples said anyone with dogs and kids hasta aerate 3 times a year, even in middle of winter!!!!
Old 02-12-2010, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Damn you take sh*t out context and assume I said things that I didn't. When did I say I aerate in the winter? Everybody here does dethatching and aeration in 2-4 weeks leading up to the start of the growing season which is March-April. Its the way people have been doing around here as far back as I can remember even the guys that have 10 crews and $50K trucks. I also didn't say anyone has to areate 3 times a year but in some cases it doesn't hurt. If your definition of dethatching if tearing up the yard and making a big mess you are doing it wrong. You make it sound though someone is rolling thru the yard with a Bobcat and harley rake or something. Our yards out here look super after dethatching and it promotes good turf health. In other parts of the country people aerate in the fall but everybody wants it in the spring here, what am I supposed to do turn them down so they call someone else?
Old 02-12-2010, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We just come from different parts of the country...here people look at you like your crazy when you speak of aerating in the spring, too much of a problem around here with weeds and dont want to disturb the pre em. We also have very hard pack clay, in addition to really crappy builders' lots but no one ever even considers more than the fall aeration. I know that dethatching must be done in some cases but I am an advocate against it unless absolutely needed. We have alot of yards around here that are extremely over fertilized and when you combine that with record rainfall the past few years, some lawns need it and it does make a BIG mess. We never dethatch other than to do a major repair due to improper care and that makes a big mess, like 30+ bags or full 16' trailer. I'd much rather aerate, make better money, and have the neighbors come over asking for service rather than make a mess but it does get done on a few yards every year.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Around spring powerraking is high prioirty to atleast 1/2 the homeowners in the city. Most yards are around 3-5K sq.ft. plus its done atleast every other year so you can get about 5 places done until you have to empty. Then again I have a equipment only on the trailer and the truck with a dump box is reserved solely for debree. Bagging it up takes too much time. We run larger than normal catcher systems and empty straight into the dump box. Some guys use 21s and bag into trash bags but those are also the guys who are still on the first yard by the time I'm on my 3rd or 4th. I'll be the first to admit that the powerraking isn't always needed but when you got people ready to spend it may as well go to you than the next guy in line.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like spreading grass seed before and after I aerate, either in early spring when it finally dries up a little, or in early fall when temps dont skyrocket.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Most people in central Ohio aerate at least twice per yr. -> spring and fall. Sounds like ******(in St lowie) is a freakin expert on everything. LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!