Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-10-2010, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Move from WB's to ZTR?

I know everybody has an opinion and I'm not looking for a brand debate. But, I'm looking to buy a new mower and wanted to hear from some people that switched from wb's to ztr's or stand on and whether it was a good or bad decision.

Solo operation, 12-15 residential yards a day. Most of my yards are pretty small with quite a few obstacles but very few hills. Most only take about 20-30 minutes start to finish. For the last couple of years I've been running a 36" and 48" fixed deck hydro wb's and have been pretty happy. I like the way they cut, stripe, and the fact they aren't so heavy and don't dig in too badly when it's wet.

Probably half of my yards I need to use the small mower to get into fenced back yards. I'm wanting to replace my 48" but don't want to go any bigger. I'm also thinking a stand on might be a good choice. So, should I get another wb or switch to a ztr or stand on?

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2010, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if your doing small yards the only benefit to a stand on would be the floating deck.. a stander would rut the **** outta 1/2 my yards so i stick with the w/b's.. honestly what could it possibly save you in time unless your doing wide open cuts?
Old 02-11-2010, 04:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why dont you go for a nice floating deck walk behind. Spend some cash and you wont regret it!
Old 02-11-2010, 04:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

after many years of Zs and Standers Im going back to Walk Behinds because of the weight and rutting associated with the Zs and Standers. On anything over 2 acres a Z is a must but any smaller the time difference will not be that bad and the cut is so much better.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 66 Exmark Lazer and a 48 Grandstand that replaced 48 TTHP. No WB for me ever again. You need a Grandstand or Advantage.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A stand on will give you more productivity over a WB. But it all depends on your yard types. If your doing open areas the Z will be quicker. If you are doing tight obstacles they WB/stander will be much better.
Wright
Snapper
Snapper pro
Redmax
Snow ex
Blizzard plows
Boss plows
And fix all the rest...
Old 02-11-2010, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure if you are catching clippings or not....but have you thought about a Walker or Navigator. I like the outfront deck and you are low to the ground, you get a good view of whats out front. With the ZTR you are high and centered on the machine. Also, you can catch 10 bushles. You can mow 2 or 3 lawns before ever having to dump. Just a thought....
Old 02-11-2010, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the input everybody. I think I've ruled out a traditional ztr based on the input here and looking at everything in person.

The toro grandstand and the upcoming exmark vantage are leading my list so far mainly because they're not much more $$ than the equivalent wb. Unfortunately the standers seem to be around $500-$1000 more than a similar sit down ztr.

I try to avoid bagging when possible. I actually moved from Walkers to wb's because they were hugely expensive to run and maintain, didn't hold up well, and killed my back. I know a lot of people love walkers but I hated mine. Not saying they're bad machines just not the right ones for me.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i would never go back personally. ZTRs are about all you see used around here by guys who do this full time and there is a reason for it. they are more productive and you dont get tired on a 105 degree day. BUT it really depends on your business needs, size of lawns, etc. you would be amazed the places a 61" ZTR will fit. i was scared when i bought my first but happy now. not knowing your exact situation its hard to say. what i can say, is to recommend you find a friend with one and try it, or demo one for a day. that way you can make a better educated decision.

one other thought on a ZTR, you can do more lawns in a day. you also dont get that negative mentallity on a hot day that "man ive got to do all that still." work becomes easy and think about other stuff and you dont really care how much more is left to do.

trucks
mowers
stuff

Sig Sauer Sercurity
Old 02-12-2010, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can smoke a ZTR on most residentials with a Hydro walk behind.less damage,better trimming abilities,better on hills,better cut.Plus the WB is cheaper.I have all my customers because they do not want riders on their property any more.That trend will continue to grow.