Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-12-2010, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
When I started out, I changed to ztrs my only complaint was you are going to fast. I slowed down on the smaller lawns but have not lost any in 18 yrs. Now if they wanted me to mow with a walk behind time is money, so I would charge a lot more. You youngsters can use walk behinds while your knees are holding up etc, but make sure you use that as a selling point and charge more than the guy using a ZTR. Most of my customers had a choice walk behind for $$$$$$ or ztr for $$. They all are cheap when it comes down to it so why break your body down with a walk behind if you can use a ztr.

Eventually you'll get tired and need to make the switch , but do what you like now, just charge more for it.

I will point out I went from a 36" Scag walk behind to a 42" Walker. I went from working 8 hrs with the Scag to 4 hrs with the Walker. I doubled my income by making the switch, now I've gone from Walker to 60"ZTRs and doubled my income again by being more productive. Food for thought!
I am guessing you are NOT putting 60" ZTR's on 2.5m lawns?
Old 02-12-2010, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishboy View Post
I am guessing you are NOT putting 60" ZTR's on 2.5m lawns?
I have put it on lawns that are as small as 1500 sq ft. But I don't have very many of those. Also I mulch so I'm not shooting grass everywhere when on small lawns. Like I said if they don't want to pay extra for using a walk behind I use my smallest ztr 60". I now have a $35 minimum so that eliminates all those 15 to $20 lawns I did many years ago starting out that were that small..

But for people starting out I think a stand on mower would be great, we didn't have those options around here when I started in 1991. So do what works best for you and as you grow your business you buy equipment to make you more profitable.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 02-17-2010, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm the oposite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punt66 View Post
exactly! i dont even own a walkbehind and wouldnt be in this business if i had to use one.
I don't own a Z.I get a lot of yards because i don't use a Z.I am not opposed to them though.If I picked up some large multi acre sprawling estate,I would get a Turf Tiger.I love the Wildcats and Turf Tigers but I just have no use for them at the moment.If I bought one now and started using it on my current customer's lawns,I would lose all but one of them.

I also use the Pro One sulky and i like the quick disconnect pin.I walk a lot on hills and small yards.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornett22 View Post
I don't own a Z.I get a lot of yards because i don't use a Z.I am not opposed to them though.If I picked up some large multi acre sprawling estate,I would get a Turf Tiger.I love the Wildcats and Turf Tigers but I just have no use for them at the moment.If I bought one now and started using it on my current customer's lawns,I would lose all but one of them.

I also use the Pro One sulky and i like the quick disconnect pin.I walk a lot on hills and small yards.
never been asked and have never lost a client because i use a z.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 02-17-2010, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

weird how that works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punt66 View Post
never been asked and have never lost a client because i use a z.
people here raise holy hell about it all the time.Go figure.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornett22 View Post

When I bought my first Z I had several make comments that it was to big a machine. I told them as nicely as possible that my prices would be going up if I had to use the smaller machines. Now 18 yrs later I still have those lawns that complained because I used a 42"Walker saying it is to big, only now I use either a 60" or 66" ztr. Keep in mind using 1 21" walkbehind would take 1hr 15min minutes to mow an bag a $30 lawn 18 yrs ago, almost 1 1/2 hrs with trimming an blowing. Now it takes 30 minutes to mow trim and blow with the 60" and it pays $35

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong

Last edited by MJB; 02-18-2010 at 01:04 AM. Reason: correction
Old 02-18-2010, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Member

I don't own either but I like the look of the cut from a ztr alot better than a walk behind. With a z the turf looks smooth as a carpet. On walk behinds they leave lines from the tires and the little roller wheels.
Nobody ever complains about lines from a wb though, I can just tell the difference and to me the z's look 10x better.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

a ztr would only really save me time on a few of my biggest lawns. thats why im still using my WB
61'' Scag V-Ride 29 HP Kawi
48" Exmark Lazer Z HP
48'' Bobcat Ransome Mower
21'' Husqvarna Mower
Stihl FS55R Weedwacker
Stihl FS100RX Weedwacker
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blower
Stihl MS180C Chainsaw
Giant Vac Walk Behind Blower
Kawasaki KHT600S Hedge Trimmer
Giant Vac 16HP Leaf Loader
Old 02-18-2010, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIHL GUY View Post
a ztr would only really save me time on a few of my biggest lawns. thats why im still using my WB
wrong. Your young and probably never operated one. Cuts time in half allowing you to double your client base.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 02-18-2010, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I was in your shoes at one point

I had a 48"15 HP walker and it was just a nightmare doing million dollar lawns. I was very embarrassed. I had half the money for a new rider and a customer spent the other half. Very nice guy. When he saw the cis on my wrist he wanted to help. I got a 2008 left over Rider with the 27 Kohler 52" fast and light weight. Night and day. Cut each lawn 10- 20 faster! My knees are better but my back hurts from sitting on the mower so long. That walker made my 25 year old body age like a 50 year old.

"Money & Power leads to Greed and usually ends with Corruption."

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

" A LEADER will always have more haters than a FOLLOWER."