Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-19-2010, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

this can't float any more than a mid mount zero turn. I don't see how a walk behind can rut any less than a stand on mower of the same weight. I bet the reason why some of those lawns looked better when you used a wb was because it made you mow at 3mph if you really walked, rather than 6-15 mph. Of course if would look better.
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2010, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
generaly speaking then.......ztr stands for zero turn radius.....that covers walkbehinds, standers and riders.

and your point would be what? if i wanna state what ztr means and that walkbehinds, standers and rider are ALL ztr's then i will.......

i've been through 2 ztr's but i've never owned a rider
You have a lot to learn, and your telling me to get with it dude! Whatever!

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 02-19-2010, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punt66 View Post
operator error. Just because you can zero turn it doesnt mean you should in every situation.
Operator error huh? Why don't you enlighten me then? If you can come up with a different way to go in a circle around something then let me know.

Bottom line is Sit down mowers weigh a ton and even though you can mow the field of the grass in different directions, there is really only one way to trim around something before you get started on the field. So I could mow with a different mower like a wb, but I am not willing to take the time or in other words, loose the extra productivity. So I will have to figure it out or something but operator error is a most likely not the case.

So instead or replying with some flippant remark trying to boost your post numbers, try and use a little more thought and present a valid, rational response. Anyone can post crap and critique something, but it takes more intelligence to present solutions to problems.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

ok, operator error, meaning, SLOW DOWN!!!!!!! you don't have to tear the crap out of the grass to go around something or turn around. That enough thought for you? your only talking about 300-400lbs difference between some wb's and riding zero turn's(now that we have to specify what ztr we are talking about)
Old 02-19-2010, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbegap View Post
Operator error huh? Why don't you enlighten me then? If you can come up with a different way to go in a circle around something then let me know.

Bottom line is Sit down mowers weigh a ton and even though you can mow the field of the grass in different directions, there is really only one way to trim around something before you get started on the field. So I could mow with a different mower like a wb, but I am not willing to take the time or in other words, loose the extra productivity. So I will have to figure it out or something but operator error is a most likely not the case.

So instead or replying with some flippant remark trying to boost your post numbers, try and use a little more thought and present a valid, rational response. Anyone can post crap and critique something, but it takes more intelligence to present solutions to problems.
I never go around the tree, I approach it head on, back up a little and go around 1/2 way straighten out ,then on the next pass I do the other half. Just because a mower will go around something doesn't mean it's the best way. Practice and you can find a way that won't leave that ring around the tree.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

Old 02-19-2010, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

It is a weight issue (or technique issue), not so much speed IMO.

MJB,

Thank you. That is a great suggestion on how to do it differently. Now if more people would respond like that it would be greatly appreciated by all I'm sure.

And I'm with you that when people say Ztr they generally mean the mid-mount rider. I don't know how or why that started, but that seems to be the generally accepted vernacular around here anyway. Ztr tends to mean the Rider. Walk behind or stand on are more straight forward.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Keep using them heavy riders on residential yards and I will gladly keep taking your customers.My lawns look better ,plain and simple.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornett22 View Post
Keep using them heavy riders on residential yards and I will gladly keep taking your customers.My lawns look better ,plain and simple.
How long will it take you to mow this with your walk behind? I doubt you'll be a threat to most of our customers.
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2010, 01:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

now that's a good comparison,

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
How long will it take you to mow this with your walk behind? I doubt you'll be a threat to most of our customers.
The first one you would beat me fair and square.That is what riders are for.Ideal situation.

The second one,based on the incomplete picture,I could easily top you.

Excellent work regardless.Great job!

Out of curiosity,which lawn was mowed with what mower? Just wondering about the difference between the Exmark and the Hustler.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbegap View Post

you really have NO IDEA what your doing. Good luck.

SOLO OPERATION