Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-05-2002, 01:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Trouble "restarting" Redmax trimmer

I'm having a problem restarting (after it's been running) my Redmax string trimmer. I bought it last year and would say it has all of 1 month use on it.

I have a nice blister on my finger from pulling the rope 20+ times trying to get it to restart (not more than 1 minute after it's been running for some time). It's really pissing me off...

I have tried no choke/ no prime... choke and prime... just choke.. etc...........................

I don't remember the model # (26something or other) but it's the middle of the road "strato-charged".

Anyone have any ideas why it's so difficult to restart?

FYI.. It also takes about 5-6 pulls while choking for a cold start.. This seems like 3-4 too many but at least it's consistant and it will start.

establishing roots in the community... www.mdlawns.com
Old 06-05-2002, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My 2300 takes 6 pulls cold and 1 pull warm to start. I think it's around 4 years old. I do not hold the throttle open when I start it hot or cold. Do you hold the throttle open while pulling? What is your oil mix ratio your running? I would at least change the plug out to see if it helps.
Old 06-06-2002, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Member

after you have checked the basic things try this. take the air filter off, hold the throttle open and spray something like brake cleaner in the carb. continue holding the throttle open and try to start it. if it starts alot eaiser, then i would clean the carb. if it doesn't i would suspect the ignition module could be bad. question. does it run fine? idle good, high rpms good, plenty of power under a load ( in grass)? if not then i would first suspect that the piston could be distorting causing the rings to stick. hope this helps. grasmo.
Old 06-06-2002, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: first change the spark plug, second when starting a cold redmax prime 2-3x's choke and wide open throttle and should start in no less than 2 pulls, when hot trimmer should start on one "very easy" pull. i own 20 pieces of redmax equipt. and all start in 2 pulls or less and 1 pull when hot give it a try.