Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-16-2004, 03:10 PM
ProStreetCamaro's Avatar
ProStreetCamaro ProStreetCamaro is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Gaithersburg Maryland
Posts: 3,757
Just another stupid lco.

Yesterday we pull up to mow a lawn and a crew was leaving the yard next door. We thought nothing of it till I headed around back to find they blew all the grass in one direction and into our yard. I was so mad at that point all I could see was RED. If they had still been there I would have gotten in serious trouble, I would have went postal on them. So what did I do about it? I blew it all back in there lawn and am leaving a bill on there customers door stating what they did and that either they or there lawn company will have to pay for my extra time. If both refuse then I guess both of my deadly weapons will swing into action soon. This isnt the first time they have done this. I am getting sick of other lco's shabby work making MY work harder.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-16-2004, 03:57 PM
BSDeality's Avatar
BSDeality BSDeality is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Fairfield County, CT
Posts: 2,851
I've got a similar story. A lady called me up looking to get some mulch spread and beds edged. she also needed a mower. I gave her a price on the mulch and she accepted the bid, however my mowing quote was $35 higher than "the people that did it last year" but now she can't find them cause the only one that spoke english went back to mexico to see her dieing father. My mowing schedule was pretty tight at the time so i did bid high on purpose. anyways, she about passed out when i told her, she promptly told me she would have to call around and find a less expensive company. Well, i show up to do the mulch job a couple days later and i'm about 1/2" through the job when a utility body S10 rolls up with a riding mower (mtd/craftsman) w/ bagger (not hooked up, just draggin behind it). So they give me the fish eye as they drive by. They park down the street and chock the wheels with a 4x4" and come walkin up in their sweatpants and sneakers. They ask if i'm doing the lawn (my equipment was loaded on the trailer). I said nope, she's all yours, knock yourself out. the guy was curious as to what "other services". I rattled off a few and asked him the same, "well, i do a little bit of everything, paintin, mowin, house sittin, dump runs, dog walkin...." all i could think to myself is, "yah, i could tell."

here's the kicker!!
it took them about 15 minutes to unload the mower and get it started then proceeded to cut at about 1.5mph.

einstein didn't think twice about discharging all the clippings on the perimeter pass right into my freshly mulched beds. i was fumin!, so i walk over, pick up my blower and wait for him to see me blow out all the crap he just blew in. so about 10 minutes later (on the second pass now) he blows the stuff back in again. i was about ready to explode at this point, however i simply picked up my gear and left.

the homeowner in the meantime hasn't paid me for my work, i finally managed to corner her and find out what the problem was. the problem? grass growing in the beds! big surprise there, and the nice edges i cut had been rounded off and filled with grass. i bit my tongue and fixed the edge and pulled out the grass, collected my check and sped off.
__________________
Matt
Efficiency = Profit
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-16-2004, 05:16 PM
HighGrass's Avatar
HighGrass HighGrass is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Z5 MA
Posts: 1,240
Re: Just another stupid lco.

Quote:
Originally posted by ProStreetCamaro
Yesterday we pull up to mow a lawn and a crew was leaving the yard next door. We thought nothing of it till I headed around back to find they blew all the grass in one direction and into our yard. I was so mad at that point all I could see was RED. If they had still been there I would have gotten in serious trouble, I would have went postal on them. So what did I do about it? I blew it all back in there lawn and am leaving a bill on there customers door stating what they did and that either they or there lawn company will have to pay for my extra time. If both refuse then I guess both of my deadly weapons will swing into action soon. This isnt the first time they have done this. I am getting sick of other lco's shabby work making MY work harder.
You're gonna go postal over a guy that blew grass into your customers yard? Buddy, this lawnmowing, not global nuclear conflicts. leaving a bill on the door of the nieghbor is just going to fuel issues between the nieghbors and eventually end up in your lap. Are we talking yards of this stuff, or just a few wind rows? Did you really spend a lot of time with it?

Seems to me there might be a better way.
__________________
If you can afford to feed it, you can afford to pay me to cut it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-16-2004, 05:24 PM
dvmcmrhp52's Avatar
dvmcmrhp52 dvmcmrhp52 is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Pa.
Posts: 4,211
An exmark would not have known the extra blades of grass were even there.....................................LOL!
Seriously................
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-16-2004, 06:51 PM
Lawn Dog2001's Avatar
Lawn Dog2001 Lawn Dog2001 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 977
I can understand blowing the clippings back into the other lawn. But leaving a bill was a little much. If your looking to use your guns, you just might get to when the other company receives your bill.

If it was me, and I was that bent out of shape about it, I would calm down and politely ask the owner of the other crew not to do it again. Whats the saying "More flies with sugar" or something like that. I dont know just my 2 cents.
__________________
I do not do this for the love of the game. I do this for the money.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-16-2004, 06:55 PM
dvmcmrhp52's Avatar
dvmcmrhp52 dvmcmrhp52 is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Pa.
Posts: 4,211
More flies with sugar than vinegar......................
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-16-2004, 06:58 PM
Green Pastures's Avatar
Green Pastures Green Pastures is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Hampton, Virginia
Posts: 2,457
It pains me to see such a bunch of children in the industry I call my profession.

Quit whining.

Quit bitching.

Quit implying that you will shoot some people over a few blades of grass.

Just do your job and bill accordingly.



The more I hang around Lawnsite, the less I want to be affiliated with many of the people who post here.

You are the one's who give us a bad name.

You are the ones who are driving prices down.

Grow up.
__________________
Scott

Ps 23:1-2
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in GREEN PASTURES
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-16-2004, 06:59 PM
dvmcmrhp52's Avatar
dvmcmrhp52 dvmcmrhp52 is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Pa.
Posts: 4,211
Green pastures,
I think your on to something.......................
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-16-2004, 07:01 PM
Turf Medic Turf Medic is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Lincoln NE
Posts: 1,073
Quote:
Originally posted by Green Pastures
It pains me to see such a bunch of children in the industry I call my profession.

Quit whining.

Quit bitching.

Quit implying that you will shoot some people over a few blades of grass.

Just do your job and bill accordingly.



The more I hang around Lawnsite, the less I want to be affiliated with many of the people who post here.

You are the one's who give us a bad name.

You are the ones who are driving prices down.

Grow up.
Well Said
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-16-2004, 07:04 PM
Tonyr's Avatar
Tonyr Tonyr is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Melbourne,Australia
Posts: 1,976
Quote:
Originally posted by dvmcmrhp52
An exmark would not have known the extra blades of grass were even there.....................................LOL!
Seriously................

Dave...mate, are still runnin' those ol' things??

Thought you were gunna get serious and step up in the world?

There is nicer shades of red around now ya know
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:08 AM.

Page generated in 0.13772 seconds with 9 queries