Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-16-2004, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Just another stupid lco.

Yesterday we pull up to mow a lawn and a crew was leaving the yard next door. We thought nothing of it till I headed around back to find they blew all the grass in one direction and into our yard. I was so mad at that point all I could see was RED. If they had still been there I would have gotten in serious trouble, I would have went postal on them. So what did I do about it? I blew it all back in there lawn and am leaving a bill on there customers door stating what they did and that either they or there lawn company will have to pay for my extra time. If both refuse then I guess both of my deadly weapons will swing into action soon. This isnt the first time they have done this. I am getting sick of other lco's shabby work making MY work harder.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've got a similar story. A lady called me up looking to get some mulch spread and beds edged. she also needed a mower. I gave her a price on the mulch and she accepted the bid, however my mowing quote was $35 higher than "the people that did it last year" but now she can't find them cause the only one that spoke english went back to mexico to see her dieing father. My mowing schedule was pretty tight at the time so i did bid high on purpose. anyways, she about passed out when i told her, she promptly told me she would have to call around and find a less expensive company. Well, i show up to do the mulch job a couple days later and i'm about 1/2" through the job when a utility body S10 rolls up with a riding mower (mtd/craftsman) w/ bagger (not hooked up, just draggin behind it). So they give me the fish eye as they drive by. They park down the street and chock the wheels with a 4x4" and come walkin up in their sweatpants and sneakers. They ask if i'm doing the lawn (my equipment was loaded on the trailer). I said nope, she's all yours, knock yourself out. the guy was curious as to what "other services". I rattled off a few and asked him the same, "well, i do a little bit of everything, paintin, mowin, house sittin, dump runs, dog walkin...." all i could think to myself is, "yah, i could tell."

here's the kicker!!
it took them about 15 minutes to unload the mower and get it started then proceeded to cut at about 1.5mph.

einstein didn't think twice about discharging all the clippings on the perimeter pass right into my freshly mulched beds. i was fumin!, so i walk over, pick up my blower and wait for him to see me blow out all the crap he just blew in. so about 10 minutes later (on the second pass now) he blows the stuff back in again. i was about ready to explode at this point, however i simply picked up my gear and left.

the homeowner in the meantime hasn't paid me for my work, i finally managed to corner her and find out what the problem was. the problem? grass growing in the beds! big surprise there, and the nice edges i cut had been rounded off and filled with grass. i bit my tongue and fixed the edge and pulled out the grass, collected my check and sped off.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Re: Just another stupid lco.

Quote:
Originally posted by ProStreetCamaro
Yesterday we pull up to mow a lawn and a crew was leaving the yard next door. We thought nothing of it till I headed around back to find they blew all the grass in one direction and into our yard. I was so mad at that point all I could see was RED. If they had still been there I would have gotten in serious trouble, I would have went postal on them. So what did I do about it? I blew it all back in there lawn and am leaving a bill on there customers door stating what they did and that either they or there lawn company will have to pay for my extra time. If both refuse then I guess both of my deadly weapons will swing into action soon. This isnt the first time they have done this. I am getting sick of other lco's shabby work making MY work harder.
You're gonna go postal over a guy that blew grass into your customers yard? Buddy, this lawnmowing, not global nuclear conflicts. leaving a bill on the door of the nieghbor is just going to fuel issues between the nieghbors and eventually end up in your lap. Are we talking yards of this stuff, or just a few wind rows? Did you really spend a lot of time with it?

Seems to me there might be a better way.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

An exmark would not have known the extra blades of grass were even there.....................................LOL!
Seriously................
Old 06-16-2004, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can understand blowing the clippings back into the other lawn. But leaving a bill was a little much. If your looking to use your guns, you just might get to when the other company receives your bill.

If it was me, and I was that bent out of shape about it, I would calm down and politely ask the owner of the other crew not to do it again. Whats the saying "More flies with sugar" or something like that. I dont know just my 2 cents.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

More flies with sugar than vinegar......................
Old 06-16-2004, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It pains me to see such a bunch of children in the industry I call my profession.

Quit whining.

Quit bitching.

Quit implying that you will shoot some people over a few blades of grass.

Just do your job and bill accordingly.

The more I hang around Lawnsite, the less I want to be affiliated with many of the people who post here.

You are the one's who give us a bad name.

You are the ones who are driving prices down.

Grow up.

Ps 23:1-2
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in GREEN PASTURES
Old 06-16-2004, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Green pastures,
I think your on to something.......................
Old 06-16-2004, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Green Pastures
It pains me to see such a bunch of children in the industry I call my profession.

Quit whining.

Quit bitching.

Quit implying that you will shoot some people over a few blades of grass.

Just do your job and bill accordingly.

The more I hang around Lawnsite, the less I want to be affiliated with many of the people who post here.

You are the one's who give us a bad name.

You are the ones who are driving prices down.

Grow up.
Well Said
Old 06-16-2004, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dvmcmrhp52
An exmark would not have known the extra blades of grass were even there.....................................LOL!
Seriously................

Dave...mate, are still runnin' those ol' things??

Thought you were gunna get serious and step up in the world?

There is nicer shades of red around now ya know