Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-19-2010, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

flyers in previously visited areas?

How many of you have passed out flyers in an area you've passed them out before and had a better response the second time or the next year? Just trying to make out my flyer passing route for March and was thinking about going into a few previous neighborhoods. Please don't put this thread in the business management section lawnsite, that's like being put in solitary.
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower
Toro & Ariens snowblowers

"I mow alone, with nobody else. Yes you know when I mow alone, I prefer to be by myself." Matt Thorogood

"All those in the memorial tombs will come out" -John 5:28

"The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them"- Revelation 20:13
Old 02-20-2010, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Free Bump because I don't want you to go to solitary...lol
Old 02-20-2010, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We do that every year. In fact some neighborhoods will be receiving their 6th brochure in 6 years this spring. Marketing is about branding, name recognition, repeition, etc. Most experts say someone needs to see a message 10 times before its effective. And of course getting houses within my existing routes is more profitable too. I also make it a point to write down all the accounts within my routes using competing services and personally talk to them and try to sell our services. Dog eat Dog bro!
Old 02-20-2010, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I know in marketing we have learned to always set up advertising campains in numbers of three. Meaning if your gonna hit up an area its good to send your postcards or door hangers out in 3's. Send your postcard or doorhanger the first week. A week or two later hit it up again, and again... You get the process.

Dog eat dog is what this business and alot of service business have to face. I decided a while back in phoenix I would rather be the dog eating than the dog getten eaten. I always keep track of resi's that are getting service done. After all, they are going to be the easiest ones to sell. I feel like a chump sometimes approaching someone who has a service. But it usually ends up something like this... I noticed you have a provider but it doesnt seem like they come consistently. Or I noticed that the edging on your yard isnt done very well. Pick and pull something that your business can offer that the other isnt. I like to ask them how many providers have they had in the last 3 years. Then explain we will be there only one for the next 3 years and counting.

This is some of my tactics for resi's. Commercial is a different market. I have noticed most of my municipal and commercial properties stay pretty loyal. Of course price is low, but we stay busy. When I say low, I dont mean to low to not pay my guys good or taxes,wc,insurance etc....

Good luck hope this helps.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I always hit neighborhoods or areas year after year. New people move into neighborhoods all the time, so they might not have gotten a flyer the previous year. And sometimes people are looking to switch lawn care companies or are interested in hiring a lawn care company for the first time. It never hurts to hit areas year after year.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 02-21-2010, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do the same thing when approaching a house that looks like they use a lawn service, and pick 1 to 2 things they did poorly and discuss how using our service would alleviate that....lawn left too long in the fall for cool season grasses, edging is poor, weeding is poor, patterns in lawn were never changed, inconsistent last year when they mowed from week to week, etc. Makes for an great opening conversation
Old 02-21-2010, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieFerris View Post
We do that every year. In fact some neighborhoods will be receiving their 6th brochure in 6 years this spring. Marketing is about branding, name recognition, repeition, etc. Most experts say someone needs to see a message 10 times before its effective. And of course getting houses within my existing routes is more profitable too. I also make it a point to write down all the accounts within my routes using competing services and personally talk to them and try to sell our services. Dog eat Dog bro!
I like to save time, so I put 10 flyers at each house at the same time!
Old 02-21-2010, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRocker View Post
I like to save time, so I put 10 flyers at each house at the same time!
Lol just put one on every door of their house then right. Maybe windows too.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If I had someone bringing 3 flyers a year to my house, I would call them. Tell them to stop coming onto my property!! Once a year is fine and I would hit the same places every year.
As far as picking at the last guys job, I think that's very wrong. I've been in the business for over 30 yrs. Never do I pick on another's work. Very unprofessional! Good way to make enemies too. If I ever heard of a so called landscaper pick on my work, I'd make sure to have a few words with him and tell my other landscaper friends about his tactics. Many customers don't take kindly to that either. Anyone can pick on someone elses work no matter how good the place looks. Instead of pointing out others weaknesses, why don't you talk about your strong points. Even if your not a professional, at least act like one. Then maybe, you will become one.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscraper1 View Post
If I had someone bringing 3 flyers a year to my house, I would call them. Tell them to stop coming onto my property!! Once a year is fine and I would hit the same places every year.
As far as picking at the last guys job, I think that's very wrong. I've been in the business for over 30 yrs. Never do I pick on another's work. Very unprofessional! Good way to make enemies too. If I ever heard of a so called landscaper pick on my work, I'd make sure to have a few words with him and tell my other landscaper friends about his tactics. Many customers don't take kindly to that either. Anyone can pick on someone elses work no matter how good the place looks. Instead of pointing out others weaknesses, why don't you talk about your strong points. Even if your not a professional, at least act like one. Then maybe, you will become one.
I put my bulk mail stamp to use. I see roto rooter, flooring companies, other landscape companies send atleast 1 a month.