Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-13-2010, 06:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

i'm thinking of starting a web page? is it going to pay off for me? some ?'s

so i'm solo part time. basic lawn services mainly. i probably had 20 weekly mowings last year. i'm looking to generate more calls/work.

is this going to be worth the time to start a web page?

for you solo guys do you describe your business as "WE" or "I"
Old 02-13-2010, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Do you want to move into lawn mowing full time?

What type of clients did you have last year?

What type of marketing did you do to attract the 20 clients last year?

Do you know your competition? Do they claim the market share and do they have a website(s)?

Putting together a website is more than placing a few photos and a write up on a page. There are lots of things to take into consideration. A website for you may be a good 'qualifying' site where you can direct potential clients to. Or it can be a search engine leader where you can generate more work from.

Honestly, you get what you put into it.

Perhaps answer my few questions here to open up this conversation.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2010, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritchiem View Post
Do you want to move into lawn mowing full time?

What type of clients did you have last year?

What type of marketing did you do to attract the 20 clients last year?

Do you know your competition? Do they claim the market share and do they have a website(s)?

Putting together a website is more than placing a few photos and a write up on a page. There are lots of things to take into consideration. A website for you may be a good 'qualifying' site where you can direct potential clients to. Or it can be a search engine leader where you can generate more work from.

Honestly, you get what you put into it.

Perhaps answer my few questions here to open up this conversation.
Posted via Mobile Device
no. but id like some more yards

i'm about 25% commercial 75% res

i ran an add in the paper got a few leads. i got most of my good accounts from realitors/people that googled me. i registered my name on the google business account.

i do have competition that also does landscape and snow plowing that is taking lots of market share.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
i ran an add in the paper got a few leads. i got most of my good accounts from realitors/people that googled me. i registered my name on the google business account.
That's fantastic. Receiving leads when you have such a small online footprint is great. This should be a good example how a website can benefit your company.

Quote:
i do have competition that also does landscape and snow plowing that is taking lots of market share.
How can your company stand out from the rest? Do you do anything different? What do you focus on? The idea is to not get lost in the mix online...make your company stand out and make your website different.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I would say that anyone who is trying to develop new business or gain market share should definitely invest some resources in building a website. If funds are low, there's nothing wrong with starting with Facebook & Twitter pages - you might actually find that it is all you need for the time being. Social media is a great way to gain local business and build a name for yourself...use your imagination - run coupons/specials, trivia (1st XX gets a free mowing - excellent way to gain a lifetime customer/upsell high profit services), post pictures of past/current work, talk about how your dog loves freshly edged lawns...you get the idea.

If you decide to build a stand alone site, do not take shortcuts - this is the virtual face of your business, don't turn away potential business with an amateur-looking site...it might reflect on the perceived integrity/quality. Also, make sure you read up (or hire someone...pricey though) on SEO, web analytics, and consider doing geo-targeted Google AdWords/Facebook PPC campaigns to drive traffic...otherwise, like ritchiem said, you will get lost in the online mix.

Message me if you need more info...I'd be glad to point you in the right direction if possible.

-Kevin