Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-04-2006, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Anyone try putting a small flyer in bags

With nice little decorative stone, and throwing them on driveways. Im thinking about designing a nice color flyer alittle bigger than a biz card, then puting them in a nice bag with 2 or 3 real nice stones.

We currently do postcards and the yellow pages. Im just looking for a way to cover more ground and hit more homes next spring. We stopped doing doorhangers this year b/c they just weren't productive enough, and you can't put them in Mail boxes.

Personally I think if they are done "tastfully" people won't be anoyed by them.
What do you guys thinK? DFW Landscaper I think this would be a good idea for you. Have a guy drive a truck, and another on the back with about 800 bags throwing them onto driveways.

Chevy trucks, Exmark Lazers, enclosed trailers.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I see it around here ALL THE TIME.....and normally they just lay in the driveway for weeks until they fade out and the homeowner finally throws it away. I have even seen folks never see them and run over them day after day leaving their driveway....

A friend of mine has a trophy wife……..apparently she wasn’t 1st place though

...Amateurs built the Ark but professionals built the Titanic...

...YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID...
Old 09-04-2006, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't tried it myself, but I have found several on my front driveway. I don't know if it's a good thing.... I didn't really mind that these were there, but it didn't seem professional. (I guess they didn't see the vinyl lettering on the back window of my truck either)

Hey, I looked at the cards, but that because they were in the same business as me, I don't know what joe homeowner would think.

UltraVac bagger
2004 6 X 12 Emerson open trailer
22" Toro self propelled w.b.
2 x Echo trimers
Echo edger
Echo Blower
Echo hedge trimmer
Kawasaki hedge trimmer

"The bitterness of cheap quality lasts long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten"
Old 09-04-2006, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I also feel that the potential customer would think, "crap if they are too lazy to hang it on my door what kinda crappy job will they do on my lawn?"

A friend of mine has a trophy wife……..apparently she wasn’t 1st place though

...Amateurs built the Ark but professionals built the Titanic...

...YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID...
Old 09-04-2006, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I dunno maybe a larger bag with a 4X6 postcard in it. I honestly think it will work if done right, maybe even a green bag with our name on it.

It's not really a big thing around here, but I have seen a larger comapany do it to advertise Hardscaping. I just love the idea that we would be able to get so many advertisements, and cover so many different developements in a day. Much cheaper than Postcards. Not to mention that flyers and doorhangers blow away, etc. I would say that only about 60% of them are actually seen by the homeowner.

Old 09-05-2006, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I did all mine that way. I went out and bought 1 gallon bags. Rolled my flyer so my name was showing, then put small rubber band around it. Then put (river rock cleaned and dried) depending on the size of the rock 1-3 per bag. Then pushed the air out and tied them. Much easier and faster than waling to each home. Ove gotten 8 accounts from 1500 since June.

6 Years on Lawnsite
Old 09-05-2006, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I called the number on the flyer and had him come back and pick it up off the front of my lawn. Explained if he didn't I would visit the township police department and charge him with littering.

It was picked up.

One: I think its just plain lazzy. Two: I think its just plain cheap---pay for postage. Three: Its littering---want me throwing stuff all over your driveway. Four: I'm sick of picking it off my customers lawns. Five: Its not professional.

Oh ya, did I mention I don't like it.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB1234
I called the number on the flyer and had him come back and pick it up off the front of my lawn. Explained if he didn't I would visit the township police department and charge him with littering.

It was picked up.

One: I think its just plain lazzy. Two: I think its just plain cheap---pay for postage. Three: Its littering---want me throwing stuff all over your driveway. Four: I'm sick of picking it off my customers lawns. Five: Its not professional.

Oh ya, did I mention I don't like it.
You sound like a "grumpy" Old Man who has nothing better to do in life except "*****" about everything.

1. It not lazy. It takes alot of time preparing flyers the way i do it.
2. It is cheap compared to buying 1000's of stamos on top of the price of flyers or cards.
3. Its not littering, It ADVERTISING!!!!!

Not everyone is rich like you. We all cant afford to go and buy 1000's of stamps to waste on mail that a good portion will just get tossed. Id much rather pick up a flyer in my drive, then have someone knock on my door trying to sell me something.

Ahh no wander why, your from Jersey.. I forgive you

6 Years on Lawnsite
Old 09-05-2006, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yea i mean we normally send out about 1500 postcards in the spring, and the usual yp Ad, I just figured it would be a way of "reinforcing " the other efforts.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadsLawn
You sound like a "grumpy" Old Man who has nothing better to do in life except "*****" about everything.

1. It not lazy. It takes alot of time preparing flyers the way i do it.
2. It is cheap compared to buying 1000's of stamos on top of the price of flyers or cards.
3. Its not littering, It ADVERTISING!!!!!
IMO, it is the cheap lazy way to get residents pissed off at you for littering up their yard.
I've had to call the local newspaper to come collect the newspapers they threw on my driveway when they were never ordered.