Register free!

Old 02-29-2000, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a quick questions on a job that i Just looked and never did before. I'm pricing out a holland paver driveway that will be laid in herring bone pattern that is going into a circular drive section with a island in the middle. My question is this.. When i get to the circle, how do i manage to get the pattern to match up perfectly on the other side. On pools and such, I usuall just run a straight strip of pavers at the intersection point in a discrete spot, like behind the diving board. Here, however, i dont' think I can get a away with that, or at least, don't want to do that.<br>thanks<br>
Old 02-29-2000, 09:42 PM
Lawnsite Addict

steveair,<br>Use a string line that you offset say by 10 feet parallel to the line of brick. Also work your way around the drive, Do one side from the street and contiue your way around it should be no problem<p>----------<br>paul<p>
Old 02-29-2000, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are planning to use a soldier course around the inside and outside circumferences, you could also run several radiating soldier courses at 12:00, 3:00, 6:00, 9:00 or whatever spacing makes sense.<br>Then any cutting would be part of the overall pattern. <p>----------<br>Lanelle<br>
Old 03-01-2000, 07:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

paul, I've tried the string line idea but never could get it to work just right. When doing pools, no matter how careful, the pavers never meet absolutely perfectly at the other end. I did it once and had to float some of the pavers at the end, leaving a few larger gaps here and there.....was not happy with it at all<p>Besides the string line, and the idea of running more soldier rows, is there anything else, or is this just one of those jobs that if you want them to meet you just have to spend a lot of tiime and float them until they do..<br>
Old 03-01-2000, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Member

steveair,<br>im not sure of the exact layout of the job but this might work. What about laying the whole thing pretending the island isnt there and then at the end rip up the pavers where the island will go. Now i dont know this might be too big of a island or it might be something existing were you cant do it, just an idea. Good luck
Old 03-01-2000, 09:35 AM
Lawnsite Addict

Try this rent a visible beam laser, they can project a beam of light giving you the straight line that you need if mounted above the job site by 6'or so.<p>----------<br>paul<br>
Old 03-01-2000, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It looks like we've got several good ideas here. One other thing to consider is the brick you'll be using. You mentioned that it was Holland pavers - will it be concrete or clay? If they're sand molded clay pavers (ie very rustic look), you can get away with a little more in the way of gaps and it still looks good. In fact, if they are sand-molded clay, you'll have to expect more fluctuation, or plan on tearing out all of your hair while trying to make them perfect! <p>No matter what type pavers you choose, the ideas above are good ones.<p>