Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-17-2010, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A lot of people over-spec trucks. This can be an advantage if you decide to grow down the road in a couple years. If you plan to buy used, and sell it for another newer truck and don't tow more than 6K regularly, a half ton will be fine. Today's 1500 series trucks can easily handle everyday use and abuse, and are a lot more economical than a 2500 or heavier truck.

My old Dodge Spirit (2.5L I4 3 speed auto) pulled my old utility trailer with aplomb. It had 380,000miles (625,000kms) on it before the rockers rotted through. Besides needing a new head gasket every 50K miles, it ran like a champ otherwise pulling up to 1500lbs, and carrying two passengers. I even used it to carry firewood to the trailer when I had it parked seasonally; total weight pulled and in the car pushed 3000lbs. It was slow, yes, but at 24mpg average economy (10.2L/100km) throughout it's time with me. Its a shame that I've outgrown that small trailer and upgraded to a '90 C1500, which did a great job during the time I had it. 1500 series trucks can carry up to one ton of payload, and tow upwards of 10K. I wouldn't tow 10+K with a half ton just for suspension and driveability reasons, but for up to 6K, it'll do fine.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I think payload is determined by the trucks weight, if it is a half ton, it can carry up to 1000 lbs in the bed, one ton trucks can carry 2000 lbs, and so on. Ive never had a half ton that can carry one ton of anything in the bed..well, without the back wheels rubbing the fenders anyway!
Old 03-05-2010, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have a Dodge Dakota cc V6 auto that has hauled 2500 pounds of pea gravel in the bed ,pulled 11500 pounds ccw and It pulled 7900 pounds from Florida to Mississippi all over Alabama no problems .
Old 03-06-2010, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKle View Post
I think payload is determined by the trucks weight, if it is a half ton, it can carry up to 1000 lbs in the bed, one ton trucks can carry 2000 lbs, and so on. Ive never had a half ton that can carry one ton of anything in the bed..well, without the back wheels rubbing the fenders anyway!
The term "half ton" dates back to the days of Al Capone and the Great Recession. When a half-ton did in fact mean 1000lb payload, etc. Times have significantly changed, but the name still holds strong in terms of basic capability, even though a half ton can easily be spec'd to carry close to 2000lb payload these days. You can overload a 'half-ton' easily enough these days with trailer tongue weight, tool boxes, in cab equipment, and even passengers.

As an example, a Honda CR-V which was considered a "light truck" up until the SUV term was established a decade ago could only carry 800lbs. Factor in five 250lb passengers and you'll be overweight by 200lbs before fuel and cargo. It's just like the EPA ratings, it took 30 years to adjust them to modern standards and that was with a lot of public hype so they would do it. Perhaps we should get on about changing the "half-ton" moniker to something more fitting for todays standards. Call a "one ton" a "two and a half ton" because most 1tons can haul up to 5K when properly spec'd with dual wheels.

It just opens up a huge can o'worms that I dont' think anyone really wants to deal with and it would also put off potential buyers into thinking "do I really need a 1ton truck?" when really it's a 1500 series crew cab. Blame federal safety regs for increasing weight and such, which generally increases overall capability.