Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-15-2010, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

new website

Here is my new site. www.perennialgardensllc.com I think I'm switching to all white text the green looks funny I think. Some of the pics in the portfolio need to be retaken they are too low resolution but that will have to wait till summer when everything is in bloom. I have alot of properties I need to go to and snap pics since I barely take pics. I also am going to add a feature gallery where there will be pics of the whole process of a larger job from beginning to end. Let me know what you guys think, I went off a template so I'm limited in changing alot of stuff too much but some feedback on tweaking the site would be great. I used www.bludomain.com one of the $100.00 templates called Betsy no flash.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think the website looks good.

I would change the urls of the individual pages so they are easier to give out to direct someone to a specific page on your site. Here is an example of one of your current urls:

http://www.perennialgardensllc.com/h...2&active_btn=5

See what I mean by how long that is.

Keep up the good work.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bearwise-Thanks for the feedback. Not sure I can change them being that it is a template and i only really enter in the texts and pics. I have a question regarding my site's key words. On my website edit page i have a section for meta tags listing the site title,site description, and site keywords. Is there a limit to how many key words you put in to describe your site or is it the more the merrier?
Old 02-20-2010, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anybody want to help me out on a font question? If you go to my services, look at fencing (regular font) and gardens (italic font). In your opinions what looks better and is easier to read? Scared the italics might be harder to read and after staring at this for hours on end I can't tell anymore. Thanks for any input guys www.perennialgardensllc.com
Old 02-20-2010, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Its doubtful that the names of URLs of your extra pages really matter. Like if I was going to send someone to Lewis' site in Oregon, I'd just send them his home page and tell them to look at the irrigation page. Any more than that, I just copy and paste the address.

I think that your front page is your biggest problem. On webmaster / SEO type forums, you will see quite a few comments about the waste of a landing and "ENTER" page.

Why do they need to enter, when they should have just conveniently been taken to that square anyway?

Then there is another complication of notifying to disable popup blockers. Why should anybody have to do that bit of effort? Why didn't the website owner do the work to eliminate the need for messing around with popup blocker settings?

The "enter" is very small to read.

And why suggest a recommended screen resolution?

The rest of the site looks quite nice, though.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 02-20-2010, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

All that stuff pretty much came with the website. I don't have any pop ups so I don't think its a problem. As far as the enter being small you can click on my logo and enter you don't actually have to click on the enter per say. I hear you though. As for the resolution settings I don't think anyone is going to change it anyway just to look at the site. I also have the option to remove the splash page I think. Thank you for the feedback I really appreciate it. How about the font italics vs regular?
Old 02-20-2010, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, I don't want to be bothered with a sub menu to enter the site, when I'd expect to go to the site directly. You'll eventually find ways to change and manipulate the code. I can do HTML just from building many sites over the years. I don't really like frames for instance, but I find they're simple and they work the best for what I need - navigation on left side, company name at top, and the 'main' frame page on the right.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you guys think its more important to keep my testimonials on the home page and keep my specials listed under services or should I switch them? I feel like the specials are a little more "buried" but I'm trying to determine which is more important to be seen.