Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-16-2010, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

John Deere 4030

Is this tractor any good? Any known problems with this model? Hows the 329 engine hold up?
Old 02-17-2010, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Member

You can try a search of a 4030 on tymag.com and see what problems they may have.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We had one when I was younger, don't remember a whole lot about it except it never had any problems. My grandpa said it was the best tractor he ever had. Broke my heart when he traded it in about 15 years ago. I always wanted to restore it. Is this one a open station 4 post with the top, or a cab model?
Old 02-17-2010, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You will likely be pleased with the tractor if you buy it. One of Deere's most successful tractors they ever made. Nearly all of the 4030's and more popular 4020's are still in service and utility tractors on farms across North America. From what I've heard a bullet proof engine and transmission.

What are your plans for the tractor?

Warren

Old 02-17-2010, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerknowsbest View Post
You will likely be pleased with the tractor if you buy it. One of Deere's most successful tractors they ever made. Nearly all of the 4030's and more popular 4020's are still in service and utility tractors on farms across North America. From what I've heard a bullet proof engine and transmission.

What are your plans for the tractor?

Warren
The 4030 was built from 73-77. This tractor is not the same series as the 4020. This tractor is was not as popular as some of the other 30 series tractors were. The 4020 was popular but was a different animal all together than were the 30 series machines.

You may have seen this but here is a link.
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-trac...eere-4030.html

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
The 4030 was built from 73-77. This tractor is not the same series as the 4020. This tractor is was not as popular as some of the other 30 series tractors were. The 4020 was popular but was a different animal all together than were the 30 series machines.

You may have seen this but here is a link.
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-trac...eere-4030.html
Wow, yep. Definitely screwed that one up. HAHA. Not sure where my mind was while typing.

Well, the 30 series tractors were also extremely popular. Talk to any Deere fan about great tractors and the 4430 and 4440 will come up in conversation. (4430 is the same tractor as the 4030 but with more hp)

Only negative I've heard on the 30 series was the air cleaner and muffler were too close together and in certain conditions the tractor would suck exhaust. That being said Deere did nothing to change the design until the 60 series so it can't have been that wide spread of an issue.

The original "SoundGuard" cab really didn't live up to its name so don't expect a really quiet ride.

Warren

Old 02-17-2010, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all the great info, The one i'm looking has the soundguard cab, heat, air, radio. Going to use it for hay,cutting,raking,baling.

Hows the 329 engine hold up?
Old 02-17-2010, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go over to www.newagtalk.com and post and see what they say. Very good group of guys over there that can prob tell you more than you ever wanted to know.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My dad had a 4430. The engine blocks are the same. It was his favorite tractor he ever had. He was a dairy farmer for 23 years.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerknowsbest View Post
Only negative I've heard on the 30 series was the air cleaner and muffler were too close together and in certain conditions the tractor would suck exhaust. That being said Deere did nothing to change the design until the 60 series so it can't have been that wide spread of an issue.

Warren
My dads 4430 had the air cleaner under the hood. The last couple of years in the series had that change. They are on the rare side.