Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-17-2010, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

When does a truck have too many miles

I've been looking for a new (used) truck, Either a 94-98 12V cummins or a 199-2003 7.3L Powerstroke. I've been keeping an eye out up here, but I'm really thinking that I might need to travel to find a truck. I've been looking at the used truck from the south and I've noticed that the used trucks for sale down there mostly have well above 150k on the ticker.

In my experience, up here, anything over 150k is pretty dicey.

my question is (especially for you southern folks, is what would you consider more miles then you want to get yourself into?

BZ
Old 02-17-2010, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

at least 200+. We dont get all the extreme snow and ice which results in city crews salting the streets, which in turn breaks the vehicles down quicker.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Diesels will normally get around 250-300K on them before any real major repairs are needed, if they are taken care of though.

I want to know when full size trucks will start seeing as many miles as semi trucks and why they dont now? Semis will get a million miles on them easy, but a full size diesel will only get 300K? What is it that makes them so different? I guess more parts are "repairable" on semis?
Old 02-17-2010, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

also have to consider while the truck and trans may last that long, will the fit finish, interior radio, HVAC, ect last that long...
Old 02-17-2010, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mike- Just my 2 cents- The Semi's accumilate majority of those miles on long interstate driving. Just think how many times a full size work truck gets turned on/off in 100,000 miles verses a semi. As you know start-up is the hardest on engine until oil pressure gets up. Also the Idleling alot more at lights (lower oil pressure) is proubly a factor..And interstate driving would be running a cooler engine than say 20mph in town between stop lights..ect. I'm sure their are internal mechanical reasons That I wouldn't know..but just few things come to mind. Geno
Old 02-17-2010, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

but how often do you go to truck stop and see semis idling over night or for 7-8 hours while they sleep...
Old 02-17-2010, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowisme View Post
Mike- Just my 2 cents- The Semi's accumilate majority of those miles on long interstate driving. Just think how many times a full size work truck gets turned on/off in 100,000 miles verses a semi. As you know start-up is the hardest on engine until oil pressure gets up. Also the Idleling alot more at lights (lower oil pressure) is proubly a factor..And interstate driving would be running a cooler engine than say 20mph in town between stop lights..ect. I'm sure their are internal mechanical reasons That I wouldn't know..but just few things come to mind. Geno

You are right on with that, I know a guy who runs a fleet of currier cargo vans with the 7.3 powerstroke and they are run around the clock on shifts rarely even turn the motors off and they have some with 1.2 million kms which is around 750miles i think and there original motors. and i've heard of guys blowing up motors with low miles i'm not saying they all can go that long but definately saying cold starts everyday on any engine takes it toll on it.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith View Post
but how often do you go to truck stop and see semis idling over night or for 7-8 hours while they sleep...
idling isn't bad if you put it on high idle.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Umm yea, the motor is good for a million miles but what does that matter when you have a truck full of parts that need replacing? I know several people that have diesels, cummins included, that yea the motor is solid but when your front end falls apart, interior getting beat from working 150k hard miles, truck all scratched up, lights stop working, that can all add up to just as much as a major repair. Ive been looking at the cummins with over 100k and alot of them are beat and are going to need $1K+ repairs in the near future. Diesel dont do ya much good when the rest of the truck is falling apart.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoetschOutdoor View Post
Umm yea, the motor is good for a million miles but what does that matter when you have a truck full of parts that need replacing? I know several people that have diesels, cummins included, that yea the motor is solid but when your front end falls apart, interior getting beat from working 150k hard miles, truck all scratched up, lights stop working, that can all add up to just as much as a major repair. Ive been looking at the cummins with over 100k and alot of them are beat and are going to need $1K+ repairs in the near future. Diesel dont do ya much good when the rest of the truck is falling apart.
well obviously you want to take good care of your truck if you want it to last long but spending 1k+ every 100k miles i think it about the normal with any truck.. i take care of my truck but it doesn't get babied either lots of heavy towing and even not towing i like to smash the pedal to the floor alot. if you are talking about a bush truck yea sure there not going to last long. I've got over 200k on my truck and it would never look like it has that many miles on it, still looks new and interior looks new to..
here is a pic of my truck to show you just cause it has high miles doesn't mean there all wrecked, and i plan on keeping this truck forever and hope to put a million kms on it one day.