Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-17-2010, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Dealer or equipment 1st?

In this economy, should my next purchase be strictly on price? Is brand loyalty worth paying more or should I focus on the strongest dealer? What are most important to you when considering a new ZTR, WB, blower, etc, and why? My current Toro dealer doesnít carry WB and he doesnít plan to. Should I consider a one-stop dealer and possible volume discount?
Old 02-17-2010, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quality and service after the sale are #1 for me when i buy.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I just bought a new Toro WB. I drove 2 hours each way because I bought it from a dealer south of me that sold it for almost $2000 less than my local dealer. My local dealer can have the repairs and maintenance.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It better be priced right, but most important is reliable. If its reliable buy it.. but when you buy it, shop around and get the best price for it.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Member

These were my thoughts too. But the way some guys on here bleed brand loyalty, I thought I'd ask and see.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It depends how the mechanics are in your area. I bought both of my mowers from different dealers, different brands alltogether, and either dealer will put my machine to front of the line when I bring them in. I got in really good with one mechanic and he takes very good care of me. Only thing about not buying from a close dealer is that you might not get a loaner machine if yours goes down. My guy guarantees a mower if he cant get mine fixed quickly. And the economy is only as bad as you let the news channels tell ya!
Old 02-17-2010, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If someone does not buy from me we will still work on his mower. He just wont get a loaner if his is down. And he will go to the normal place in line. If a cutter that is loyal to us comes in he comes first. But we dont have this problem to often. I do what it takes to make the sale. $800 proffit is still better then $0. But I dont give them away either. I cant stay in business if I do.

Do what you can to stay loyal to your dealer. If he is not willing to work with you on price when you can go down the road, then he is not doing something right, or is just greedy. No one dealer gets a better price then any other. Brand is one thing, if he is looking at a brand we dont sell and is willing to switch over to save a few bucks, then he is more then welcome to. 95% of the cutters know if they are loyal to a dealer they will get thier stuff worked on in a timley manner and I will have my guys bend over backwards and stay late to get them going again.
Wright
Snapper
Snapper pro
Redmax
Snow ex
Blizzard plows
Boss plows
And fix all the rest...
Old 02-17-2010, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoetschOutdoor View Post
It depends how the mechanics are in your area. I bought both of my mowers from different dealers, different brands alltogether, and either dealer will put my machine to front of the line when I bring them in. I got in really good with one mechanic and he takes very good care of me. Only thing about not buying from a close dealer is that you might not get a loaner machine if yours goes down. My guy guarantees a mower if he cant get mine fixed quickly. And the economy is only as bad as you let the news channels tell ya!
Thank you! My old man is a contractor and sits down to watch the news every night and I swear all he talks about is how bad everything is right now, and there is no work to be had, blah, blah, blah! I have landed several healthy accounts in the last six months. Economy what?! I say everyday is a great day for making money. I don't care what factors there are, stay positive and good things happen!!!
Old 02-17-2010, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can fix anything myself but I still go to the dealer to buy.In the long run you will be glad you did as well.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A good dealer will save you more money than driving an hour or more away!