Register free!

Old 06-07-2002, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Nu-film

Has anyone tried the product Nu-film from prosource-one? It claims to be a fungicide (extender). It is different than any wetting agent or surfactant I have ever seen. The product claims it will extend the activity of fungicides. I got a gallon to try as a sample. I will apply it with Compass at the .15 rate to see if it will last 28days. I usually get 3 weeks from that rate. If anyone has tried it, let me know your thoughts. thanks!
Old 06-12-2002, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Please let me in on any results you get. I use a variety of fungicides on our golf course and extending their control would save me some bucks.
Old 06-13-2002, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

These results will be a lot more interesting than the face value would probably suggest.

Nufilm from Miller Chemical is an anti-transpirant. And it's not the best one made by Miller either. Unlike VaporGard (also from Miller), Nulilm is similar to PBI Gordons Transilm. Better on turf to prevent desiccation or as a transplanting type anti-desiccant for shrubs than the full blown anti desiccant/transpirant effect of VaporGard. While better at what it does on ornamentals, VaporGard would be overkill for turf.

One might find that "covering" the grass blades with this material would have antifungal effect not unlike the mechanical effect of useing a condom. The causal pathogen might not be able to gain a footing on the leaf cuticle due to the mechanical barrier in its way.

In this case, the Nufilm is, I think, being promoted and used as an extender to keep the compass from washing off the grass blades.

But Compass has a very uniquie MOA whereby it sort of "gasses off" the treated foliage only to recollect on the new blades that are extending. When the former Novartis was promoting & marketing Compass, they invented the term "Mesostemic" to describe this phenomenon. The term was made up & probably has no place in the Engish language according to Webster. When dealing with other fungicides, it is this newly grown leaf that is left unprotected in the days following a fungcide treatment. If grass didn't grow, new leaves wouldn't require treatment so often. Of course all fungicides eventually breakdown on the old foliage & lose their effectiveness too. Some just last longer than others.

http://www.mesostemicpower.ie/meso-activity/

While Compass does penetrate the cuticle like many other fungicides, it also re-deposits iteself via a unique means of volatalization, then eventual redeposition. This is not to be confused with vascular movement. Compass does not enter or move around through the vascular tubes.

I will be most interested to see if this volatilization is limited by the use of the Nufilm. Conventional thinking might suggest that this would be the case. This might be advantageous on the leaf blades at the point of application because the product would stay at the treated area in its full strength for a longer period of time. But it could have the effect of limiting the redeposition to the newly expanding foliage.

In other words. Might Compass work much better in the short term (because it stays where it was applied), then as new foliage is produced, fail to protect it thus shortening the control period? Or will the Nufilm not have the "mechanical strength" to keep the trifloxystrobin molecules at the point of treatment?

Turfdoc, Please keep us informed. Especially if you have some check areas at the treatment sites.

Steve