Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-18-2010, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
How old is this equip? Those FS80 trimmers were just recently discontinued and have proven quite reliable over the years. They go for $350ish new (tax included)...I know, cuz I bought a new one last Summer. A new BG85 is $200ish...not sure about the 420 backpack. All in all, the price isn't too bad...but it is his starting price...so offer less. Make sure ALL of it runs and starts easily.

As stated, a big/powerful backpack blower is a very useful device...when faced with a moderate to big job. Otherwise, I reach for a handheld for the simpler jobs.

Just my opinion, but I'd speculate that the folks who reach for their backpacks for every cleanup might very well not have a handheld as an alternative. Both have their place in this business...especially if operating solo.
Im going back today to look at the year of mfr. I did some research on the backpack and do think Id like to go with a bigger one. AND HERES THE REASON::::: cleaning the lawn. Plain and simple. If all I was going to use it for was drives and walks, I would buy it. I am not the kind of guy who likes to be on and off a lawn in 10 minutes. But it would be nice to have the xtra powers to blow leaves. As far as having a handheld for a backup and small job, I always have and always will busines or no business.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

BTW, i dont mind buying used equipment as mowers and such. But handhelds are always best bought new.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 02-18-2010, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am probably going to be buying all used equipment because thats what I can afford. Once things take off, Ill buy new stuff. I am starting with my own money, no loans. I dont believe in borrowing money to start a business. My father started a pest control company and bought all new equipment, including the truck. He is now in debt up to his eyeballs even though his business has been gaining for two years now. I have no problem buying used quality equipment, as me and my business partner both know how to work on it.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlee View Post
I am probably going to be buying all used equipment because thats what I can afford. Once things take off, Ill buy new stuff. I am starting with my own money, no loans. I dont believe in borrowing money to start a business. My father started a pest control company and bought all new equipment, including the truck. He is now in debt up to his eyeballs even though his business has been gaining for two years now. I have no problem buying used quality equipment, as me and my business partner both know how to work on it.
business partner also bad idea. Dont mean to rain on your parade but your asking advice from people who have experience. Why buy equipment twice? Why would you need a loan to buy hand helds? $650 will get you a top of the line Back pack and a new trimmer.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 02-18-2010, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ok a little background....

I have been doing mostly chemical work for about 8-9 years. I have worked on mowing crews for about 2-3 seasons. But Im a squirt and fert guy. My buddy (who Ive worked with for a couple years) has about 12 years experience on grounds at a seminary. He has a lot of knowledge that I dont have and I have a lot that he doesnt. I will be out of the army in about 2 months and will be starting school while trying to start a business. IMHO its going to be easier to work with my friend especially while Im still working on a degree.

And I dont need a loan for a $650 blower, but I am buying everything on my own money. To include truck, mowers, blowers, trimmers, edgers, light hand equipment, advertising, and half wrap decals. So far Im up around 20k and Im not done yet. SO saving 300 bucks on a piece of equipment is definately a bonus for me, especially when Im saving on multiple items.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlee View Post
ok a little background....

I have been doing mostly chemical work for about 8-9 years. I have worked on mowing crews for about 2-3 seasons. But Im a squirt and fert guy. My buddy (who Ive worked with for a couple years) has about 12 years experience on grounds at a seminary. He has a lot of knowledge that I dont have and I have a lot that he doesnt. I will be out of the army in about 2 months and will be starting school while trying to start a business. IMHO its going to be easier to work with my friend especially while Im still working on a degree.

And I dont need a loan for a $650 blower, but I am buying everything on my own money. To include truck, mowers, blowers, trimmers, edgers, light hand equipment, advertising, and half wrap decals. So far Im up around 20k and Im not done yet. SO saving 300 bucks on a piece of equipment is definately a bonus for me, especially when Im saving on multiple items.

it is not a savings if the equipment turns out not to be good. you can get a top of the line blower for 450 and a great trimmer for 200. Buy good low hour mowers but hand helds are best bought new. Your usually buying some elses problems. Your experience as a fert and squirt is more valuable then your friends. You can easily learn the otherside of the business on your own. You dont need him and there is not much to be made when your net is at 50% to begin with. I hope you do well but you lowered your odds for success with a partner.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 02-18-2010, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Right, I completely understand. My buddy and I have always said that if one of us started, the other would be there. Im closer to him than I am to my two own brothers. His knowledge of hoticulture and equipment maint. not to mention his work ethic is as valuable to me as a big pile of gold. Im not doing this to make a ton of money, Due to injuries sustained in the military, I am getting enough hush money to buy my house outright, I raise my own food, and produce my own power. So my bills are very limited. As long as we both make enough to survive somewhat comfortably its all good. The point is, we are working together (heck even living on the same property) and hopefully we can provide the laid back lifestyle we all want.

I see where you are coming from though. If it were anyone else, I would be doing this alone.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

handheld blowers

ive been using 2 of those for 5 years each, only replaced the pull cords and plugs and such.. Theye are cheap just buy em new from a reputable dealer who can give you good service
6 full time
Old 02-18-2010, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I also bought a handheld blower before. I had the stihl one that was a sucker and a blower. You could use it to suck leaves into a bag out of bushes and stuff and use it as a handheld blower. My thought was that i would use it to suck leaves out and use it to blow off walkways and stuff. i think it was like 300 or so. USELESS. Being in and out of a yard in 10 minutes doesn't mean you want to provide bad service. Better equipment means better production and better quality job. You have to be in and out inthis business to make any money especially with a partner. If I come in and mow a yard with two surfers and a sit down ZTR and mow everything trim and blow in 10 minutes and someone comes in with 2 32" walk behinds and it takes them an hour. Does that mean they did a better job? Effiencey is key. If you can swing it I would agree, you should buy one brand new good blower and one brand new good trimmer and maybe buy a used trimmer and backpack. If you and your buddy are doing cleanups you need each have a blower and you can also have one of each for a backup while you are mowing. Trust me, those handheld blowers are good for happy homeowners but not for someone trying to start a landscape company.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

well, I just talked to the guy again and got (in my opinion) a smokin deal. The two trimmers and the two handhelds for 250. Tested them all and everything runs great.