Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

View Poll Results: What do you do with your clippings?
Bag, dump on site 17 9.14%
Bag, Haul away 69 37.10%
Mulch 58 31.18%
Discharge 79 42.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-21-2010, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I use a dumpbed truck. Yes I think you are underestimating the weight of grass clippings. Granted my bed is larger than a std. 8' truck bed but I have had 3,500lbs of GRASS in the bed, in one day, sometimes not even a full day, and sometimes I can fill the bed in one stop at a HOA.

Point is, you aren't going to be dragging a tarp out or lifting a "box" out by hand if the bed is more than 1/2 full, and that's not much grass.

I know of some that use plastic 55 gallon barrels, but those really get to heavy to lift safely when full of grass.

The load handler is a good option for a std. 8' truck bed though. I used one for several years, and still have the first one I bought. It dosn't get everything out but it gets 90% of it, though sometimes you may have to really work at it to get it to roll up!
Old 02-21-2010, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i normally discharge but if i bag it i got a friend down the street that lets me dump on his property
61'' Scag V-Ride 29 HP Kawi
48" Exmark Lazer Z HP
48'' Bobcat Ransome Mower
21'' Husqvarna Mower
Stihl FS55R Weedwacker
Stihl FS100RX Weedwacker
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blower
Stihl MS180C Chainsaw
Giant Vac Walk Behind Blower
Kawasaki KHT600S Hedge Trimmer
Giant Vac 16HP Leaf Loader
Old 02-21-2010, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogel-Landscaping View Post
blake when we had pickups we just sucked it up and when we had to dump it got the pitch forks out at the end of the day. it sucked but it works.
I did that for about 6 months this last summer. (it sucks bad) I purchased what is called an "EZ loader" it is NICE!! it attaches to your tailgate and removal is a breeze. load capacity is 1500-2000 LBS. thats the best way to go in my opinion.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I do bag some yards depending on the length of the grass and if the customer asked for it. I have a 6ft bed on my truck with a plastic bed liner. I would lay a tarp over the bed with it hanging off the sides, and fill the bed with clippings then cover them up with the additional tarp. At the end of the day, me and one or two other workers would be able to slide the tarp out of the bed. If it was a day where we had a lot of clippings, we would normally need to push some clippings over the side before we could slide the tarp out. It's a pain but it works. We've discovered its easier just to mulch though.

Oh, and I just remembered... make sure that if you use this method not to pile any clippings behind the wheel humps in the bed. If there are too many piled back there, you'll never get the tarp off.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travski View Post
I did that for about 6 months this last summer. (it sucks bad) I purchased what is called an "EZ loader" it is NICE!! it attaches to your tailgate and removal is a breeze. load capacity is 1500-2000 LBS. thats the best way to go in my opinion.

oh I forgot the price is about $120-$150... you can order them online or through a truck accessorie (sp?) shop.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travski View Post
oh I forgot the price is about $120-$150... you can order them online or through a truck accessorie (sp?) shop.
sounds like i found my solution lol thanks guys
Old 02-21-2010, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If I bag I have some customers that have a place onsite to dump the clippings and some I have to haul away. If I haul away, I bring them to my uncle's farm and put them in the compost piles.

I'm trying more and more to get people to allow me to discharge or mulch, but there are too many stubborn people here who think that it is better to bag and discharging or mulching isn't good. They don't understand that a $10,000+ commercial mower will perform better than their $1000 home crapsman.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 02-22-2010, 11:04 PM
Sponsor

How do you guys load the clippings into the truck/trailer? By hand? Tarp? Can? Do you use a truck loader? Would you use a mini truck loader? Would it be helpful to be able to suck it out of the truck as when you need to unload it?
Old 02-22-2010, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecoVacs View Post
How do you guys load the clippings into the truck/trailer? By hand? Tarp? Can? Do you use a truck loader? Would you use a mini truck loader? Would it be helpful to be able to suck it out of the truck as when you need to unload it?
Remove the bag off the catcher and lift it into the truck, dump, repeat. On the walker I pull the bin out of the hopper, lift into the truck, dump, repeat.

That's why I don't understand the dump on the ground hoppers... they don't work if you load clippings in a truck. and the big barrels are too heavy for one person to lift, at least safely.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

We bag the lawns and use dump trucks. I have two local farms that are happy to get grass clippings. It gets a little harder with leaves because I dump so many in the spring and fall so they usually cut me off at some point. I also pay $500 per year to dump at the place I get my mulch and loam. They let me dump as much brush, grass and leaves as I want. That is dirt cheap for a dump pass. Only trouble is that its a little off the beaten path for me but its the only place I can get rid of brush/concrete/asphault/fill etc.