Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-18-2010, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstan2010 View Post
PJ and Bigtex are really well built trailers not junk
The Big Tex trailers I've seen on the lots are pretty crappy. They use that super light weight expanded metal for the gates and a shoddy system to old the gate closed. The PJ trailers are the same way. With their "removeable" sides that rattle and you can't put racks on to their gate with latches that were out in a year or two. Their side gates are even worse. I can add doolittle to this list of crap as well.

I know you can "special order" heavier built trailers and I can almost get what I'm looking for with a special order from PJ. But the models they have on the lots, the utility or "landscaper" models are a joke. It's pretty sad really. Most trailers are built for the family that has a couple 4 wheelers to use once a month or so, they will last forever with use like that. But people that need a trailer to WORK with, that will be towing it 6 days a week and using the ramp a couple dozen times a day, there's just nothing out on the market. All the smaller independent companies that actually built these good trailers have gone under because they can't compete with trailers made in mexico, or south texas by mexican labor.

Sadly I may have to end up with a mexico built PJ trailer, simply because they are the only one I've found that can come close to being able to build it how I want it set up, which isn't all that fancy, I just want it the same as my old one, just heavier frame and axles...
Old 02-18-2010, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you dont mind a drive to Lawrence contact Eagle Trailers. They are a small company up here that will build any trailer you want. For the trailer you're wanting it might cost you a little coin, but it will be very well built. Their website kind of sucks but www.usatrailers.com, it will at least get you some more contact info. I would seriously look into it if I was you though, I have had two or three of their trailers and they are top notch. That is almost all that is used around here.
22' goosneck flatbed 20' 14k tilt bumper pull skid trailer 18' tandem flatbed
05 JD 737 60" Z
07 JD 657A 54" Quik-trak
11 Z925A JD
Deere 36 w/b hydro
Toro 44 hydro
Deere 21's
Lesco Spreaders
RedMax stihl shindaiwa
200 gal spray rig
Billy Goat truck loader
7753 Bobcat
Old 02-18-2010, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Member

hey jason look up trailerfx.com they are in Independence Mo. It looks like you can customize your own.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have you looked into a skid steer trailer? Sounds like what you need. Find a nice one and you could probably have a welder fabricate a ramp for you. Look on CL, they are CHEAP and built much more heavy duty than a lawn trailer. You could pick up a decent one for 2k and even if you had to pay a welder, you could still end up with a really nice trailer.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I like my Trailerman's, and they build to suit, no questions asked.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with Austin. Trailmaster trailers are where its at. They are quality built trailers.
Lesco application equipment

Having employees that enjoy what they are doing and care about quality is what makes happy customers.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Have you went to trailer town in Valley Center?
Old 02-21-2010, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegefundms View Post
Have you went to trailer town in Valley Center?
Yes, and after talking to them and sorting over all the options I was able to spec out a PJ trailer that's what I'm looking for in a trailer. Heavier 5" frame, etc.

What I still don't like on the PJ trailers is the side gate. They don't haveany good way to secure them in the "up" position and they hand off the side at an angle when latched up. I have no idea WHY. I wasn't able to see one there on their lot with a side gate to even determine if I could make new latches or what. The rear gate can be reinforced from the factory, and the sides can be welded on, but they only offer solid metal on the 1' sides, no expanded. The soild is only 10ga and would be dented up pretty fast. Expanded is tougher for the sides and dosn't show the dings and scrapes that happen. LED lights from the factory, nice plus, as well as the powdercoat paint. I've also been able to be hands on with the PJ trailers in the various frame sizes and so forth to compare models.

Top Hat is the other brand. However I've only got to know them "on paper" of sorts, as I haven't been able to put my hands on one to really see the gates, tounge design, jack used, etc. The Top Hat will let me have a 5' long gate on the rear, well reinforced, with the 2' dovetail (the PJ is only 4', no other option). The side gate will be "normal" and will close like others and I can get expanded metal on the 1' siderails.

Both have 5" channel frames, 16" crossmembers, 5200lb axles, 7K jacks, 2-5/16 coupler, 2' dovetail.

I'm leaning towards the PJ trailer with the sides being welded from the factory. I don't want to have to weld a bunch on it after I buy it because it IS powdercoated and to weld I'd have to grind it off and then repaint those places, and it would just rust there faster... But my other option is get the PJ with NO gates, side or rear, and get them built the way I want them elsewhere, 5' long, heavier expanded metal, proper latches that aren't a cluster F to use...

I hate decisions, lol.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post
Yes, and after talking to them and sorting over all the options I was able to spec out a PJ trailer that's what I'm looking for in a trailer. Heavier 5" frame, etc.

What I still don't like on the PJ trailers is the side gate. They don't haveany good way to secure them in the "up" position and they hand off the side at an angle when latched up. I have no idea WHY. I wasn't able to see one there on their lot with a side gate to even determine if I could make new latches or what. The rear gate can be reinforced from the factory, and the sides can be welded on, but they only offer solid metal on the 1' sides, no expanded. The soild is only 10ga and would be dented up pretty fast. Expanded is tougher for the sides and dosn't show the dings and scrapes that happen. LED lights from the factory, nice plus, as well as the powdercoat paint. I've also been able to be hands on with the PJ trailers in the various frame sizes and so forth to compare models.

Top Hat is the other brand. However I've only got to know them "on paper" of sorts, as I haven't been able to put my hands on one to really see the gates, tounge design, jack used, etc. The Top Hat will let me have a 5' long gate on the rear, well reinforced, with the 2' dovetail (the PJ is only 4', no other option). The side gate will be "normal" and will close like others and I can get expanded metal on the 1' siderails.

Both have 5" channel frames, 16" crossmembers, 5200lb axles, 7K jacks, 2-5/16 coupler, 2' dovetail.

I'm leaning towards the PJ trailer with the sides being welded from the factory. I don't want to have to weld a bunch on it after I buy it because it IS powdercoated and to weld I'd have to grind it off and then repaint those places, and it would just rust there faster... But my other option is get the PJ with NO gates, side or rear, and get them built the way I want them elsewhere, 5' long, heavier expanded metal, proper latches that aren't a cluster F to use...

I hate decisions, lol.
What are you hauling race cars? what do you need such a heavy duty cargo trailer what are you putting in it??
Old 02-21-2010, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto52 View Post
What are you hauling race cars? what do you need such a heavy duty cargo trailer what are you putting in it??
Race cars are LIGHT, lol. A tractor would be an example of something heavy, or a skid steer

I want something that will LAST. My current trailer, also a 20' is just FLIMSEY and the frame has bent and tweaked over the years. The lighter axles bottom out on the underside of the trailer. I want a new one that will be straight and true in 10 years as it was the day I bought it. I know that another lightweight utility trailer will end up in the same condition as the one I have now with the mowers I haul on it.

If I drove like grandma all the time and never had to travel roads with dips and potholes, or the damn brick roads we have in some neghiborhoods a light trailer would be fine. If I never had drives to get into that make my trailer bottom out on the rear my frame wouldn't be bent... But sometimes you have to get into those areas, usually business parkin lots, that make the trailer bottom out. A heavier frame isn't going to be as likely to get bent as a light one. If I was looking at a 16' trailer the lighter frame would be fine, but 4 more feet in length really needs more structure.