Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-18-2010, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone used a SEGWAY to deliver FLYERS?

I'm seriously thinking about using a Segway (those stand on Personal Transportation thing-a-ma-jigs) to deliver flyers this year. I think it will go faster, and I need a break from all the walking, because I've had 4 right knee surgeries.wah-wah-wah! (I'm not ready for the granny scooter, so don't suggest that...not yet anyways) But it's a thought! Golf carts aren't allowed in the area.

Has anyone tried doing flyers with one? If not, what do you think? I rode one once, and it seemed easy, but it was in a small space at a demo they were doing. I value your thoughts on this, so tell me what cha think! Any other ideas, that will get me DOOR-TO-DOOR?

Last edited by CrazyBlonde; 02-18-2010 at 10:04 PM. Reason: add
Old 02-19-2010, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Member

I like it as well as the extra attention it brings also. Give it a try!

Check out the most recent Podcast under the PODCAST tab on lawnsite.com
Old 02-19-2010, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How much are they? or can you rent them from somewhere? It sounds like a good idea, but as I understood years ago, they were pretty pricey
Old 02-19-2010, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

3k used
http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Segway-i2-P...item2558f27fa8

go big or go home...
http://www.walyou.com/img/offroad-se...gn-concept.jpg
Old 02-19-2010, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for your input guys. I found one used for $4,000 but the link to the ebay one looks like it's a good deal. The link to the other one is more my style! That's a beefy one!!! I was going to rent one to make sure it works out, before I buy one. I really appreciate your thoughts on this. I'm hoping someone has tried it and will let us know how it worked out.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

put the saddlebags on it and get going.... or get a courier bag....
Old 02-21-2010, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Member

I know a guy that tried this and gave up on it after a couple weeks.

You can hire a flyer delivery service or an employee to distribute flyers for less than the cost of a Segway. Plus, your time will be freed to do more productive activities.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Member

I wish I knew why he quit using it. We usually use a group of kids from church, or scouts, or athletics, them give them a donation and pizza party for all their hard work. But I wanted to try this, so I have something to do waiting for the season to start, and that way I will hopefully get face to face with potential customers and get a chance to visit. I thought the segway might be a great way to strike up a conversation, because they aren't seen around very often, so people get curious and it's an icebreaker.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBlonde View Post
I wish I knew why he quit using it. We usually use a group of kids from church, or scouts, or athletics, them give them a donation and pizza party for all their hard work. But I wanted to try this, so I have something to do waiting for the season to start, and that way I will hopefully get face to face with potential customers and get a chance to visit. I thought the segway might be a great way to strike up a conversation, because they aren't seen around very often, so people get curious and it's an icebreaker.
I don't remember why he said it didn't work out. He ended up selling it when it broke down and he discovered how much those things cost to repair.

I used my PermaGreen awhile back. Worked out OK. I added an additional 25 (or so) flyers per hour. It did eliminate much of the fatigue factor.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Member

OK, I worried about that too. They do cost a bit! I just wish I knew how dependable they are, and how well they hold up. I've been googling complaints on them, and it seems the most often voiced is the battery life not lasting as long as people expect them too. Thanks Dave, I appreciate the input and food for thought!

Tags
advertising , flyers , promotion , segway