Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-17-2010, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Am I getting a deal?

Today, I found some equipment that I may be interested in. I am building right now and plan to start up in the 2011 season. I dont have a giant pile of cash and also dont believe in going into debt to start a business. Anyway, the equipment is all Stihl. There is a 420c back pack blower, 2 fs80R trimmers, a bg55 and bg85c handheld blowers. All are in good shape and he told me that if I buy it all he would do 475. I know this is somewhat older equipment, but its start up gear. Could I find it cheaper or should I jump on it?
Old 02-17-2010, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlee View Post
Today, I found some equipment that I may be interested in. I am building right now and plan to start up in the 2011 season. I dont have a giant pile of cash and also dont believe in going into debt to start a business. Anyway, the equipment is all Stihl. There is a 420c back pack blower, 2 fs80R trimmers, a bg55 and bg85c handheld blowers. All are in good shape and he told me that if I buy it all he would do 475. I know this is somewhat older equipment, but its start up gear. Could I find it cheaper or should I jump on it?
the back pack is under powered and useless. hand held blowers are basically useless. So no, i wouldnt want to pay 475 for a couple old trimmers.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 02-17-2010, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

well, thanks for the info. Although, I disagree with your opinion about handhelds. I find them very handy when its a very small area to blow off. Plus good to have a backup when the backpack takes a dump at 11am. As far as the 420c, how much bigger should I be looking for?
Old 02-18-2010, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlee View Post
well, thanks for the info. Although, I disagree with your opinion about handhelds. I find them very handy when its a very small area to blow off. Plus good to have a backup when the backpack takes a dump at 11am. As far as the 420c, how much bigger should I be looking for?
the largest back pack available. You will be un happy with anything else. A handheld blower will not to a small area better then a big back pack. I dont own hand helds. I use eb630 shindy. But br600, red max 8001 etc is what you should be looking for.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 02-18-2010, 07:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with the other two guys. pass on that. Value wise its probably worth the money. As far as I'm concerned though those blowers are usesless. If your backpack craps out you should have another one. Its a business expense. Buy the largest blower you can find. Not too mention if you buy a brand new back its unlikely its gonna crap out. I like redmax but stihl is good. They have the br600. Go spend the 500 bucks on that an get a trimmer later. If I was gonna skimp on anything it might be a trimmer, but honestly I wouldn't do that either. You need to be fast to make money in this business. You are better off blowing off small areas with your lungs and saving your money than buy a little blower.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

the other one guy sorry. If you wanted to save a little money and redmax is availible to you, the 7100 is still a pretty powerful backpack. You could probably get that around $440-$450 We have a few of them along with the 8000. 8000 is definitely more powerful but it is considerably more heavy.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

good to know. Thats why I came on here to ask about it. I know This isnt a cheap business, Ive been in the indudustry for about 10 years. Im mostly a chemical guy though.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

How old is this equip? Those FS80 trimmers were just recently discontinued and have proven quite reliable over the years. They go for $350ish new (tax included)...I know, cuz I bought a new one last Summer. A new BG85 is $200ish...not sure about the 420 backpack. All in all, the price isn't too bad...but it is his starting price...so offer less. Make sure ALL of it runs and starts easily.

As stated, a big/powerful backpack blower is a very useful device...when faced with a moderate to big job. Otherwise, I reach for a handheld for the simpler jobs.

Just my opinion, but I'd speculate that the folks who reach for their backpacks for every cleanup might very well not have a handheld as an alternative. Both have their place in this business...especially if operating solo.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 02-18-2010, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
How old is this equip? Those FS80 trimmers were just recently discontinued and have proven quite reliable over the years. They go for $350ish new (tax included)...I know, cuz I bought a new one last Summer. A new BG85 is $200ish...not sure about the 420 backpack. All in all, the price isn't too bad...but it is his starting price...so offer less. Make sure ALL of it runs and starts easily.

As stated, a big/powerful backpack blower is a very useful device...when faced with a moderate to big job. Otherwise, I reach for a handheld for the simpler jobs.

Just my opinion, but I'd speculate that the folks who reach for their backpacks for every cleanup might very well not have a handheld as an alternative. Both have their place in this business...especially if operating solo.
i bought a handheld. Waste of money. Why have more blowers then you need when 1 good backpack does it all. That sounds like a better system for a solo to me. Buy good, buy once.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 02-18-2010, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

also shidy makes a home pro 22t trimmer that is 200 brand new. Its light, balanced and last as long as any other commercial trimmer out there. My oldest one has gone through 5 seasons now and still starts first pull.

SOLO OPERATION