Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-20-2010, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Did you see a tranny laying in the road in your rearview mirror?
nope lol. that was back when the truck was alot newer, now we take it easy b/c the brakes and trans arent what they used to be.
a buddy of ours borrowed the truck to haul some fill dirt back when the truck still had the chitty stock tires (less than E range). well apparently when the cop saw how bad those tires were bulging he pulled him over and made him follow him to the scales and he was right around 15K, when the mfg gvwr for this truck is 11,500 lol. he got a nice ticket for that. we now run really good tires on this thing along with air bags. but we will be upgrading to a 5500/550 this summer.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yellow dog.. the 450's and 550's do haul quite a bit more.. here are some examples for a 2010 dodge ram

3500's have a 6,700 lb payload minus say 2200 for the dump leaves ~4,500lb for payload
4500's have a 8,900 lb payload minus say 2900 for the dump leaves ~6,000lb payload
5500's have a 12,000 lb payload minus say 3000 for the dump leaves ~9,000lb payload

it all depends on which GVWR you choose, how heavy/big your dump is etc

I can put 12,000lbs (3x what a 1 ton can haul) in my dump trailer and haul it with a 3500 and not have to deal with the size of a F550/DRW truck or whatever when it comes to plowing time... but obviously its harder to get around with a truck and trailer than just a truck, but for only having to make 1 out of 3 trips it's worth it to me. If you're in a real trucking business you're going to run a big dump anyways so i guess i just don't see the point of the 550's and stuff but each to his own.

"Democracy is not a choice between good and bad, but between bad and worse."
Old 02-20-2010, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

i mostly haul mulch, stumps, logs, etc. I'd be dumping all day with a little f350 or f450 dump. My dump trailer can get about 9-10 yds heaped of chips and mulch. Only way to go for me. Even a 6 yd. dump truck is no match unless it had trash doors on the back. I may get a bigger dump trailer one of these days but it will have to be a CDL trailer and extra long to make it worth it for me.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 02-20-2010, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Another day of work done ie my regular job

In todays world you can't be fooling around with a standard 1 ton dump your running overloaded all the time get in a accident your done insurance is null and void. The truck has to be fully insured for the weight your carrying. If you have a trailer you need to have the truck and trailer licensed as a commercial vehical once your gross combined weight is 19,000lbs then your into running a log book you need a pretrip inspection. You don't want to get involved with that crap especially if you need a annual motor vehical inspection you need a trailer endorsement on your license. Your insurance is expensive.

I'am licensed and insured as a trucking company even licensed to haul dangerous goods and I already have the highest dangerous goods ticket you can get.

I made a easy 50 dollars yesterday I'am already heading home from work the gravel pit is on the way home the place I delivered to is 10 minutes from the gravel pit. Made my 170 dollars at my day job made a extra 50 dollars on my sideline work.

The delivery was to a person that I have known for many years never been to his house thou. The driveway is concrete but its narrow holy crap you drop a wheel off the edge your stuck the axle will hit the concrete and the wheel would be in the air. Of course its a 12% grade about 600 feet long and curves in a S around the obstacles.

That was the true test if the automatic was going to do it and it did it no worries about powering out. The 6.0 with the 6 spd manual as my 03 F-450 has no way with 7000lbs of gravel I would have powered out half way up the hill.

No work for tandem axle trucks guys with them are parked the large amounts of material hauling is over with now it is the landscaping or landscape renovation etc. As I have said a trailer is useless for me it wouldn't go anywhere I go. Traction isn't a issue it is the length. The reason why people hire a truck like mine because its not physically possible to get a larger truck into these places. Sheet metal damage is real easy if your not careful.

I also was asked if I could haul some lumber for more people I know so that is good. One job I lost but it wasn't possible for me to do anyways the road is too small and I wasn't planning on carrying up junk up a steep driveway. My buddy got the job he only has a 1/4 ton truck.

I don't own a camera so I don't have pictures. Any job I'am on there is no time for picture snapping. Like yesterday the homeowner was waiting.

Time to start advertising to see how much work I can get.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Come on. You need to charge way more. Go back and read my last post to you on the topic. 50 dollars is the same as for free. How much was fuel? Insurance? depreciation????You made maybe 25 dollars for what... 2 hours work? Go to the pit, wait to get loaded, drive to the customer, dump, bullshit for 10 minutes, make out the bill, wait while he goes to look for his check book, drive home, it doesn't compute. No one on this forum who is making a comfortable living would ever work for that. Even if it is part time. Just trying to help you.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearmtnmartin View Post
Come on. You need to charge way more. Go back and read my last post to you on the topic. 50 dollars is the same as for free. How much was fuel? Insurance? depreciation????You made maybe 25 dollars for what... 2 hours work? Go to the pit, wait to get loaded, drive to the customer, dump, bullshit for 10 minutes, make out the bill, wait while he goes to look for his check book, drive home, it doesn't compute. No one on this forum who is making a comfortable living would ever work for that. Even if it is part time. Just trying to help you.
I will have a minimum for any of the topsoil hauling it will probably be 100 dollars for a delivery especially if I'am at home and not in the area where the supplier is. People have no choice either they haul a yard at a time in their pick up which means shoveling or hire a person like me. A contractor with a tandem will haul 12 yards but they are not going to haul 3 yards.

The fact is most people don't want a tandem axle truck on their driveway especially if its a concrete one you end up with tire streaks it looks bad on a nice clean bright white driveway. Most places its too much of a b*tch to get a tandem into these places and homeowners are not too impressed if your chewing up the driveway with the tires. Once the natural growth vegitation has come back after construction the road is a litte narrower.

A single axle 5 ton dump has to charge nearly what a tandem axle to make any profit so hiring a 5 ton dump hauling a 6 yard load is going to cost about the same as a tandem hauling a 6 yard load.

We will see what happens this year maybe people will get interested in fixing up the yard and doing some improvements. The stock market crash of 2009 made people stop spending money on stuff that didn't need to be done, home improvements were put on the back burner and money was spent on the essentials.

Last edited by Gravel Rat; 02-24-2010 at 04:10 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I will have a minimum for any of the topsoil hauling it will probably be 100 dollars for a delivery especially if I'am at home and not in the area where the supplier is. People have no choice either they haul a yard at a time in their pick up which means shoveling or hire a person like me. A contractor with a tandem will haul 12 yards but they are not going to haul 3 yards.

The fact is most people don't want a tandem axle truck on their driveway especially if its a concrete one you end up with tire streaks it looks bad on a nice clean bright white driveway. Most places its too much of a b*tch to get a tandem into these places and homeowners are not too impressed if your chewing up the driveway with the tires. Once the natural growth vegitation has come back after construction the road is a litte narrower.

Exactly. You have a niche there, so exploit it. Especially if the alternatives are too unpleasant for the customer. The less you haul, the more per pound you should get. Mark up the materials heavily. If a load of dirt goes across your books, then you should be taking a healthy slice every time, and don't be shy telling the customer that. They will understand. Theres lots of money on the Sunshine Coast and I don't think you are getting near enough of it.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

exactly, you should be charging markup on materials.

the way i do it is that i pay wholesale at my local yard, so say a yard of all purpose topsoil is 19 bucks my price and retails for 26 bucks. i charge my customer the retail price b/c my shop wont disclose contractor pricing to general public.

then on top of that i charge a flat rate per truck no matter how much is in it. my rates step up depending on the city i deliver to
Old 02-24-2010, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I have to watch what I charge because alot of the people that I work for are the older generation they live on a fixed income. Then you have the other people the retired baby boomers with more money and the third group is the working stiffs the people that are trying to make a living.

So two pay rates are a must which is probably not a good idea but we will see. I always have made adjustments for the senior citizens ie the 70-80 year olds.

Really can't mark up the price of topsoil it is already ungodly expensive, for garden mix or good stuff a homeowner is looking at 35-40 dollars a yard.

The cheap stuff is 20 dollars a yard it is pretty much screened brown dirt it needs alot of fertilizer to make it grow anything.

Only the trucking I can make profit when hauling sand-gravel-topsoil it is the lumber hauling and clean up work I make more money at there is labour involved so the labour rate adds up. It can take 2-4 hours to get a load on my truck I'am not rushing by any means it is all by the hour. Get to the landfill it might be another hours worth of labour unloading then trucking on top of it. Takes a long time to get 2000lbs of debris on the truck when I only carry it in one hand

One a construction site no homeowners around it usually turns into a bullchit session but it is all still by the hour
Old 02-24-2010, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think those senior citizens would get a break if they buy a new car just because they are old. If you are doing the work for fun, then go for it, but if its just trucking and labour, which is what it sounds like ,then make it worth your while. And if they are calling for a non essential product like topsoil, you can bet they have the cash. My Dad is almost 80 and I have given up trying to give him a deal. He gets offended. If they couldn't afford the price, they wouldn't call you.