Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-18-2010, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

On the hunt for a new mowing trailer.

After getting some prices for an enclosed, and having to be picked upoff the floor when I found out that a 8.5 x 20 enclosed with an extra side door, heavier 5,200 lb axles and 3/4" plywood on the walls was going to be around 10 grand... I'm back to thinking that an open trailer is going to be my option. I just can't understand why enclosed trailers are sooooo damn expensive here when I read on LS abut guys buying similar trailers in other states for 5 to 6 thousand...

My current open trailer is a 20' and quite frankly, it's shot. The frame is getting more and more tweaked each year and even sitting empty it sits all twisted and contorted. It's just not right... The axles have always been to light and I eat through brakes and tires like they were candy. It's time for something more solid! Unfortunately, finding a place that builds a good trailer is though. There's sooooo many places that "sell" those junk trailers... Looked at a place Tuesday that had probably 150 trailers on the lot, and other than the gooseneck 28' ALL of the other utility trailers had 3500 lb axles and only brakes on one axle. Ramp gates were too short, etc. What a bunch of crap...

Wish me luck, I'm fueling up the truck and have 4 or 5 places to hit to find a good QUALITY 83" x 20' trailer with heavier axles, long ramp or beavertail, and so on...
Old 02-18-2010, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Good luck. I was looking at enclosed trailers as well and my ticker skipped a couple beats after the quotes. You would think they were gold plated.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jason, I just bought 2 new enclosed trailers from sharp MFG. http://www.sharpmanufacturing.com/
They are made in Blue Rapids Kansas. If you call there you can get a hold of the owner. They build my trailers just how I wanted them and did not charge me an arm and a leg. They are smooth skinned and nice looking well built trailers. I really could not brag on them enough. They are very similar to the H&H trailers.
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2010, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Rose, you afraid of a little drive down south a few hours? What kinda price were you getting for the enclosed around here?
Old 02-18-2010, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

There is many trailer builders in Missouri and most will build any thing you want, and you can pick and choose what you want on it, their prices are pretty good too. If you are hauling mowers around, what do you need the heavier axles for, when the tandem 3500lb axles have always worked fine for what we haul anyway? Im guessing you haul other things with it as well?
Old 02-18-2010, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKle View Post
There is many trailer builders in Missouri and most will build any thing you want, and you can pick and choose what you want on it, their prices are pretty good too. If you are hauling mowers around, what do you need the heavier axles for, when the tandem 3500lb axles have always worked fine for what we haul anyway? Im guessing you haul other things with it as well?
I know what ya mean! That's where I got my trailer, in missouri, custom made and built to last! Great quality and it's always good to support the local business's.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

After several hours of driving and wasted time on the phone I've found out that everyone in this state sells nothing but Big Tex and PJ trailers. Both= Junk.

3500lb axles are what's on the trailer I have now, and no, they are NOT heavy enough. They hit the bottom of the trailer when I go thru a dip and they bend, and they eat through brakes and tires every year because I haul about 7,000lbs in equipment, not counting the weight of the trailer. If the new one dosn't have 5,200lb axles and brakes on both, it's not considered. A 20' open or enclosed with 2-3500 lb axles is stupid. An open trailer that size weighs nearly 2,500lbs, that leaves you with enough capacity to haul about 2 zero turn mowers. and you are maxed out, which destroys those axles, brakes, and tires. Enclosed is even worse.

I called 2 "custom" trailer builders and both told me that they wouldn't build me one because what I wanted wasn't "custom enough". What??? You can't buy what I want off the lot, so what I want IS custom. I have a specific list of needs and specific needs for where the side gate is placed, the kind of expanded metal used on the gates, gate assist springs, Length of the rear gate 5' instead of the standard 4', expanded metal on the sides to keep things IN the trailer.... Yet what I want isn't "custom"?

It's pretty sad that the bent up old trailer I have is just as nice as the NEW ones they sell today. The gates on mine are 1,000 times better than what's out there for sure.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post
After several hours of driving and wasted time on the phone I've found out that everyone in this state sells nothing but Big Tex and PJ trailers. Both= Junk.

3500lb axles are what's on the trailer I have now, and no, they are NOT heavy enough. They hit the bottom of the trailer when I go thru a dip and they bend, and they eat through brakes and tires every year because I haul about 7,000lbs in equipment, not counting the weight of the trailer. If the new one dosn't have 5,200lb axles and brakes on both, it's not considered. A 20' open or enclosed with 2-3500 lb axles is stupid. An open trailer that size weighs nearly 2,500lbs, that leaves you with enough capacity to haul about 2 zero turn mowers. and you are maxed out, which destroys those axles, brakes, and tires. Enclosed is even worse.

I called 2 "custom" trailer builders and both told me that they wouldn't build me one because what I wanted wasn't "custom enough". What??? You can't buy what I want off the lot, so what I want IS custom. I have a specific list of needs and specific needs for where the side gate is placed, the kind of expanded metal used on the gates, gate assist springs, Length of the rear gate 5' instead of the standard 4', expanded metal on the sides to keep things IN the trailer.... Yet what I want isn't "custom"?

It's pretty sad that the bent up old trailer I have is just as nice as the NEW ones they sell today. The gates on mine are 1,000 times better than what's out there for sure.
PJ and Bigtex are really well built trailers not junk
Old 02-18-2010, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Go with Trail Master. Very good quality IMO....I've been very happy with mine.

1994 F-150 XLT 4X4 8' Uni-Mount
1995 7.3L F-250 XLT 4X4 9' Uni-Mount & Pro Flo Spreader
2009 7x14 Trailmaster
2003 7x18 Trailmaster

48" Walker MT GHS
36" Walker MC GHS
48" John Deere Hydro W/B
21" Husqvarna XT7
Stihl KM-90 W/ FS-KM
Stihl FS-85R Trimmer
Stihl FC-95 Stick Edger
Stihl BR-550&600 Backpack Blower
Stihl BG-86 Handheld Blower
Stihl HS-45 Hedge Trimmers
Snapper Commercial Power Rake/Slit Seeder
Ryan Aerator
Husqvarna 235 Chainsaw 16" Bar
Old 02-18-2010, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Well, if you cant find anyone to build the trailer the way you want it, just go buy the best built trailer you can find and then swap out the axles for bigger ones, and have a fabricator do the custom things you want done to it. This may the best way to go, and you can just sell the un-used 3500lb axles. I could easily do all the custom steel work you have mentioned, so just about any fabricator could too. That is hard to believe the trailer builders do not think your trailer is custom enough.. I was under the impression they would build whatever their customers wanted, who cares how custom it is anyway, work is work?!!