Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-21-2010, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i have a 22ft trailer, and yes it has 5200 lb axles. technically i should have a cdl to be able to drive it here, but for now we have been "overlooked". it is stupid, as i never ever carry over 6000lbs at a time, never! we argued this point and the local officers let us slide, but that wont go forever i am sure. F them, it needs to be changed to what you will be pulling not what youa re capable of.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
i have a 22ft trailer, and yes it has 5200 lb axles. technically i should have a cdl to be able to drive it here, but for now we have been "overlooked". it is stupid, as i never ever carry over 6000lbs at a time, never! we argued this point and the local officers let us slide, but that wont go forever i am sure. F them, it needs to be changed to what you will be pulling not what youa re capable of.

That wont work though.

Whats to say that every day your load is going to be the same amount of weight?

All the DOT will tell you is that if you dont need that big of a trailer and if you arent hauling that much weight then why you do you need that size trailer?
Old 02-21-2010, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2MOWN View Post
That wont work though.

All the DOT will tell you is that if you dont need that big of a trailer and if you arent hauling that much weight then why you do you need that size trailer?
Personal preference or it's what was available...

Grassman; what size of truck are you towing with that the 5200lb axles put you over the 26001 limit?
Old 02-21-2010, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post
Personal preference or it's what was available...

Grassman; what size of truck are you towing with that the 5200lb axles put you over the 26001 limit?

Thats good for us but the DOT does not care what your personal preference is or what was available on the lot.

They care about the law and what the law says.

I had my run in with them 2 years ago. Got slapped with $1500.00 in fines that I finally got down to $125.00. I wasted 2 months f'ing with them in court. You cant beat them.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jason, you go by the tags on the doors. We have been stopped by DOT many times. Normally they just go by whats on you registration but, I have had them look at the door tag a couple of times. And as for the GVW on your truck, that has nothing to do with the trailer. Trailer has it's own registration and plates.
Your right about getting a straight answer from the DOT. It's like banging your head against the wall.

Last edited by Landscraper1; 02-21-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscraper1 View Post
Jason, you go by the tags on the doors. We have been stopped by DOT many times. Normally they just go by whats on you registration but, I have had them look at the door tag a couple of times. And as for the GVW on your truck, that has nothing to do with the trailer. Trailer has it's own registration and plates.
Your right about getting a straight answer from the DOT. It's like banging your head against the wall.
It would be so easy for them to just have a list of what you HAVE TO HAVE to be compliant... But they don't. It's almost like they want people to not know everything so they will always be able to find something in a stop to issue a fine for... Surely it's not a trap

Myself, and every other LCO in existance around here wouldn't pass an inspection without fines... I know guys with DOT numbers, and NONE of them strap their mowers on the trailers. I see contractors all the time with tractors and skids on trailers with no chains to secure them... I can just be as cautious as I can and be "compliant" where I can and hope for the best.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
It would be so easy for them to just have a list of what you HAVE TO HAVE to be compliant... But they don't. It's almost like they want people to not know everything so they will always be able to find something in a stop to issue a fine for... Surely it's not a trap

Myself, and every other LCO in existance around here wouldn't pass an inspection without fines... I know guys with DOT numbers, and NONE of them strap their mowers on the trailers. I see contractors all the time with tractors and skids on trailers with no chains to secure them... I can just be as cautious as I can and be "compliant" where I can and hope for the best.

Did you have the DOT audit where they come to your place of business and talk for hours...?

They will give you a checklist of everything you need to have in your truck, what you need to be in compliance, and basically everything you have to have on hand if you get pulled over.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2MOWN View Post
Did you have the DOT audit where they come to your place of business and talk for hours...?
No, but I'm just a "solo" guy and work out of my home. I don't have DOT numbers so they wouldn't be visiting me as they don't know I exsit. Which, quite frankly, is fine with me.

Asked another guy once about the DOT numbers on his new-to-him truck, he said "ummm, well those aren't really mine, they were just on the truck when e bought it. I just peeled off all the other vinal and left the DOT numbers." HaHa... I'm sure that's legal.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
No, but I'm just a "solo" guy and work out of my home. I don't have DOT numbers so they wouldn't be visiting me as they don't know I exsit. Which, quite frankly, is fine with me.

Asked another guy once about the DOT numbers on his new-to-him truck, he said "ummm, well those aren't really mine, they were just on the truck when e bought it. I just peeled off all the other vinal and left the DOT numbers." HaHa... I'm sure that's legal.

Im pretty much solo also but the cities around here are cracking down on everyone. The PD's down are offering up cops to do the DOT training so they can pull over and inspect. There are certain stretches of road that they sit on. One happens to be the street I live on.

It is free to register with them. It cost to have your trucks and trailers inspected but its not that much and its cheaper then sitting on the side of the road for 2 hours while they inspect and then having them slap with you fines and court dates.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had an audit last year. Officer was there for over 2hrs. Mostly going over all the paperwork we needed and log books we needed to fill out everyday. I told him that I have a landscaping business not a trucking company and I don't own any truck over 26K GVW. After the audit, I was more confused than ever.