Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #61  
Old 02-22-2010, 09:46 AM
IN2MOWN IN2MOWN is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Shawnee Kansas
Posts: 5,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemover View Post
Actually I would say we are both wrong. Never Really noticed it said trailer gvwr over 10k. I thought it read GCWR. Either way all my trailers are over that. From the looks your are only legal with 2 3500's or a single axle.

Why I say my bad on my part. THey need to make it more clear



Whatever. Its pretty clear you have a hard time admitting you are wrong even seeing it clearly in print in front of you your face.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 02-22-2010, 05:15 PM
GravelyNut GravelyNut is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Wet part of FL
Posts: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2MOWN View Post
Whatever. Its pretty clear you have a hard time admitting you are wrong even seeing it clearly in print in front of you your face.
What the Feds wrote and how the states enforce it are two different things. Bad part is, the judges agree with the state as the Fed rules are GUIDELINES, not the maximum states can force on their drivers.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 02-22-2010, 05:59 PM
IN2MOWN IN2MOWN is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Shawnee Kansas
Posts: 5,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelyNut View Post
What the Feds wrote and how the states enforce it are two different things. Bad part is, the judges agree with the state as the Fed rules are GUIDELINES, not the maximum states can force on their drivers.


Thats not really the point though.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 02-24-2010, 03:09 AM
albhb3's Avatar
albhb3 albhb3 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: eagan mn
Posts: 502
my god stop your b!tching people is a Class A CDL that hard to get the answer is no! Get one or shut up!
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 02-25-2010, 09:22 PM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscraper1 View Post
Here in Mass you need a CDL for any vehicle or combination over 26k or if your pulling any trailer over 10k. So even if your pulling a trailer with a 12k truck and the trailer is 12k, then you need a CDL.
NO, you don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemover View Post
I am not mis informed. Been over this a ton with dot. I run semis, dumps and pick ups with trailers, pretty sure i know what i am talking about and have paid tickets because of it. But good luck to you!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
I would read that to mean only if that 10,000 or more trailer puts you over that 26,000 mark. So for example you should be able to tow a 14K dump trailer with a 10,400GVW F350 pickup and be fine. But hook it to a 13K dually and you would need a CDL A.
Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
i use a f350 v10 4x4 crew cab to pull my 22 ft trailer. the reason for having such a big trailer is my mowers wont fit well on a shorter trailer, the big downsidew of diesel mowers(length).

i was stupid enough to get the mowers and then figure out the current trailer we were using was too short(18ft). so we got one that was long enough and that came standard with 5200lb axles for that length of trialer. soooooo, without being able to look into it more not being near my shop and snowed in, am i over gvw for requiring a cdl? or what. i was under the impression i actually am, but not sure.
No you're not over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemover View Post
Actually I would say we are both wrong. Never Really noticed it said trailer gvwr over 10k. I thought it read GCWR. Either way all my trailers are over that. From the looks your are only legal with 2 3500's or a single axle.

Why I say my bad on my part. THey need to make it more clear
It's in English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscraper1 View Post
Correct. If you pull any trailer with a GVW over 10,000LB, you need a CDL
WRONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryDaddy View Post
This may be a stupid/dumb reply, but just use one 3.5k axle & one 5.2k axle. Don't know if its even possible or what would happen, but problem solved. Well, going back to lala land.
That would be weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscraper1 View Post
Wrong, No matter the situation, if your trailer is over 10,000 gvw, you need a CDL. Not even a class B would cut it. You would need a Class A CDL license.
WRONG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc View Post
If this is like Oklahoma, that is saying you have to have a CDL IF you pull your trailer with a truck with a gcwr of 26,001 or more, which would mean pulling that trailer with a Class 6 medium duty or larger.
The gcwr of my rig with a 12K gvw trailer and 1 ton is limited to my one ton's gcwr. (i think its like 17,500) Even if I were to hook onto a gooseneck trailer with a gvw of 24K I am still limited to my pickups GCVW of 17,500.
Now when you get into tractor trailers, this is not the case because they do NOT have GCWR's. This is something most DOT boys don't seem to grasp very well in DOT boy school. We have been round and round with these jerks and know of other large corporations in OK that have been also and this is the conclusion that has been made by the higher ups at DOT.
Yes they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albhb3 View Post
my god stop your b!tching people is a Class A CDL that hard to get the answer is no! Get one or shut up!
Kind of an ignorant comment.


This isn't that difficult. It is written in black and white in plain English. Some of you guys act like it is written in French.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 02-25-2010, 09:28 PM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2MOWN View Post
Whatever. Its pretty clear you have a hard time admitting you are wrong even seeing it clearly in print in front of you your face.
Reminds me of someone else that posted in this thread.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 02-25-2010, 11:54 PM
dwc's Avatar
dwc dwc is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: oklahoma
Posts: 589
Duffster, sounds like you got it ALL figured out. You should be a consultant to the trucking industry and quit wasting your time in the green industry.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 02-26-2010, 12:53 AM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc View Post
Duffster, sounds like you got it ALL figured out. .
Nope not at all, but I can read!
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 03-01-2010, 12:39 AM
stroker51 stroker51 is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Northeast Kansas
Posts: 820
Ok, I went over all this crap in my DOT audit a few years back. At the shop I had my F250 diesel, like 8800 gvw, tagged for 20k, to cover truck and trailer load (as per kansas law, since before DOT enforcement, truck tag must cover truck trailer and load) my old 16' 7k lbs mow trailer, 14' gooseneck 14k dump trailer, and the auditer is the head DOT guy for northeast kansas, he showed me very clearly, where on the flow chart, that I keep in my truck just to present if I ever get hassled over it, where CDL is NOT required until GCVWR is 26,001 or more......so Jason, Grassman, straight from the top when I dealt with them, we do not need CDL. Now, my 3/4 ton pickup with a tandem dually gooseneck, 20k lbs trailer, puts me into needing a class A. The problems everybody has with DOT I dont think are so much with the wording of the law, but the huge lack of uniformity from officer to officer, I got stopped last summer, and actually knew the trooper, so I was asking him a few questions about what to expect and so on, he said he had nothing good to tell me other than med card, fire extinguisher and triagles. Other than that it will vary from officer to officer, since there is no uniform standard of enforcement
__________________
--Lawn Enhancement Engineer--
24 years old
4 Powerstrokes Hiniker & Western plows & salters
22' goosneck flatbed 20' 14k tilt bumper pull skid trailer 18' tandem flatbed
05 JD 737 60" Z
07 JD 657A 54" Quik-trak
11 Z925A JD
Deere 36 w/b hydro
Toro 44 hydro
Deere 21's
Lesco Spreaders
RedMax stihl shindaiwa
200 gal spray rig
Billy Goat truck loader
7753 Bobcat
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 03-01-2010, 01:16 AM
Jason Rose's Avatar
Jason Rose Jason Rose is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Hutchinson, Kansas
Posts: 5,781
Well there's another wrench in the basket...

You need the TRUCK tagged at what the trucks GVWR plus the trailers GVWR combined. Or at least for the largest trailer you have if you have more than one you pull with that truck...

That's something I've heard debated as well, and forgot to ask. So that means that the "compliance and saftey" guy that spoke to us the other day wasn't right about that. But then again he was talking in circles about the tag weight versus the actual GVWR of the truck. He said, in his example, that a 1/2 ton truck is tagged 12M (can a 1/2 ton haul 12,000 lbs??) but a 1 ton needed to be tagged no less than it's GVWR rating. For my truck that would actually be 15M.

I'm not arguing, I'm just repeating the "logic" we were being given. I guess technically my 1 ton should be tagged and DOT registered at 26,000 then, 1 pound under the limit... So there would never be any argument that I was over with the 15K truck +10K trailer.

And who decided that both "M" and "K" are accepted shorthand for "1,000"?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:27 PM.

Page generated in 0.11455 seconds with 8 queries