Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-23-2000, 11:06 PM
Lawnsite Addict

First all these tools go out to every hardscape job. They all fit in a 7' X 16' enclosed trailer. I have two complete setups<br>Laser<br>hand level with laser (helps check base faster than any straight edge)<br>plate tamper <br>Wacker 2440 for sub base, base and hard to reach spots<br>Wacker 1740 to compact and set pavers<br>Wacker 600 for trenches (we have alot of areas that have pipes run under them<br>Saws<br>Partner 650 2 per trailer<br>Edco 14&quot; 9hp honda tub saws 2 per trailer<br>no water (you should know that OSHA requires that all men using saws must wear a fitted mask water or no water)<br>Paver spliter for Unilock Unigrainte(large one for wall block and Brick)<br>Pave Tech paver extractor with extra blades<br>home made winch extractor<br>Adjustable paver screed runs on rails <br>generator<br>power washer<br>sand rake (wood)<br>concrete rake 36&quot; 2<br>hand tampers 2<br>trowels 3<br>various pipes 1&quot; <br>plywood 2' x 8' 10 pieces<br>1 bundle of Pave Tech straight<br>1 bundle of Pave Tech curved<br>100 lbs. 12&quot; spikes<br>Speed Base (for wall units)<br>50 24&quot;L concrete rods<br>50 36&quot;L concrete rods (both for Speed Base)<br>also in trailer<br>Welder<br>Hammer drill Large (for holes up to 2&quot; or cores up to 8&quot<br>hammer drill small<br>hand saws(wood)<br>hand tools (shovels ect)<br>Work Lights<br>100 gals diesle Fuel<br>30 Gal Gas<br>5 gallons Oil<br>2 Six packs 2 cycle oil<br>Spare blades for Saws<br>Extra parts for the above tools<br>There might be more but my list needs updating<p><br><p>----------<br>paul<br>
Old 02-23-2000, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a good topic since there is so much interest in hardscapes.<br>Good list Paul.<br>A couple of things to bring if you don't have a laser set up: Levels, large square, chalk line, string line,and several cans of marking paint. Use the paint for more than layout. When compacting the base, the foreman should be checking for low areas (voids) and high spots, marking them with + or - and a measurement so the laborers can correct. Use the chalk line to snap a straight starting line on to the base so the pavers are laid straight. <p>I do not let my crews use rubber mallets for laying concrete pavers. It is possible to set pavers too close together by using a mallet. This makes the joint so tight that the pavers lose their 'flexibility' which can lead to stress and cracking. And if you have to change out one, you'll need more than a puller. Count on ruining several. <br><p>----------<br>Lanelle<br>
Old 02-24-2000, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Paul - Quite simply...Wow. That's impressive. Probably $10k+ in tools in each trailer. I'm guessing that for each project you have two trucks going to the jobsite: one pulling the tool trailer, one pulling a skid loader or your Kubota. Do you use both trucks once on the jobsite (for dumping or carting around pallets of material)?<p>I guess this will also count as a 'tools' question - how big is your typical crew? I'll be honest, I was trying to get a second crew going last year, and brought aboard extra help in anticipation of one showing some promise to lead a crew. It didn't work out, and I ended up having 6 guys on one crew! What a mess. This year I'll have three to a crew, and hire the additional staff when I find a good foreman. Have anbody looking to make a move north?<p>Oh, and about the dust factor - my guys are all required (by me) to wear hearing protection, eye protection (I'm going to try swimming goggles this year instead of regular safety goggles - the dust is starting to have an effect on my eyes), and respirators. I never entered into this to exploit my employees' health for my benefit. We'll either all make a good living doing something safely, or not at all. Every crewmember has his own 'safety' box, with his own gear. <p>One thing to add to the tool list - a natural rubber sheet (1/4&quot; or thicker) to strap to the bottom of the compactor - won't scuff the pavers when running over them, and the rubber is surprisingly durable.<p>Where can I find out more info on that speed base? And sorry, one more question - the brand on the hammer drill?
Old 02-24-2000, 04:05 PM
Lawnsite Addict

I forgot the paver cart!<br>I use a rubber belt from one of the quarries.<br>Crew size three men, no more. Skid steers are left on job site. one truck moves equipment and plants to new job site all material is delivered to job site.<br>Boch hammer drill.<br>Speed base I'll get you the phone # <br><p>----------<br>paul<br>
Old 02-24-2000, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thank you.<br>I was pondering having all materials delivered - tight labor market, save labor costs wherever I can, but my suppliers seem to also be having labor shortages and are charging up to $100 per delivery, no matter the load size (check Bend's 2000 delivery policy).<br>
Old 02-24-2000, 08:35 PM
Lawnsite Addict

As to getting material to the job even if it cost me $300 still worth it, the one man can make me more than that is the two or three hours of running<p>----------<br>paul<br>
Old 10-22-2000, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

HMMMMMMM???

What is this "speed base system" ??? Curious to what this tool/ machine or whatever is.

Also, someone made a comment abut using a rubber mallet on pavers. If they have spacers on the sides of them I thought you were supposed to give them a couple of good wacks with the mallet every 5-10 rows or so to keep them lined up.?? Maybe I'm wrong though.