Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2010, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Did that last year, literally. Had someone (think jealous neighbor) constantly running off the road which killed the grass so I hid some nails in the grass

Think she got one because the next thing I knew here came the cops harassing me and threatening to run me in on criminal mischief

officer i don't know how them nails got there, must be them damm neighbor kids.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
Quick and easy question here.

My lawn goes right up to the street. The house across the street from me is being auctioned off and will have open house this Thursday and auction is two days later on Saturday. I expect a lot of traffic and people coming and going, parking on the curb with no respect.

Grass is still in dormant stage which is why I'm concerned and should be coming out of dormancy here in the next week or two with these temps.

Will the parking hurt the grass?

Yes it will hurt the grass. Put up a sign for $10 parking, violators will be towed. If you make some money it will take the pain off the work you have to do later like aerate the compacted areas.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I carry a roll of orange caution tape in my tool box for when I do rennovations and stuff. Anyways thats what I always use to keep people off the grass.

1994 F-150 XLT 4X4 8' Uni-Mount
1995 7.3L F-250 XLT 4X4 9' Uni-Mount & Pro Flo Spreader
2009 7x14 Trailmaster
2003 7x18 Trailmaster

48" Walker MT GHS
36" Walker MC GHS
48" John Deere Hydro W/B
21" Husqvarna XT7
Stihl KM-90 W/ FS-KM
Stihl FS-85R Trimmer
Stihl FC-95 Stick Edger
Stihl BR-550&600 Backpack Blower
Stihl BG-86 Handheld Blower
Stihl HS-45 Hedge Trimmers
Snapper Commercial Power Rake/Slit Seeder
Ryan Aerator
Husqvarna 235 Chainsaw 16" Bar
Old 02-22-2010, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks again guys.

Have some fence steaks we use in the garden I'm going to put up and drape a nylon rope down the frontage.

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 02-22-2010, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure you put the posts very close together, I seen some a-holes tear down the tape and parallel park between the posts.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danscapes View Post
Make sure you put the posts very close together, I seen some a-holes tear down the tape and parallel park between the posts.
They can't. 3 feet in its sloped very steeply downhill into a drainage ditch so they will drag bottom.

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 02-26-2010, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Update:

Well guys I took the chance last night and didn't put up the rope for the open house which was from 5 PM til 7 PM. Just to see what would happen.

I doubt if there were more then two cars at the house at any given time so they went in the driveway; no parking on the street. Overall, I doubt there were 10 cars show up in the 2 hours.

I might have been worried about nothing, the auctioneer will be there this Saturday and I doubt it amounts to more then a garage sale now.

Then God created Women
Old 02-26-2010, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I like turfcobob's idea. During the Iowa state fair, thousands of homeowners charge $5 to $15 per car depending how close to the fairgrounds. Got a friend who makes over $4000 every year during the ten day event. But the tax man has been after these folks for not reporting their income.

Our local Fire Station is across the street. When they hold "ice cream socials", "chili feeds", "pancake breakfasts", etc, their parking lot gets full. So people start parking in our front ditch. (and it's a NO PARKING zone). So last year, the County installed an extra 'no parking sign' in front. The County guy also told us to call if anybody tries to park there.

BTW illegally parked cars make nice targets for paintball guns.......them damn neighbor kids
Old 02-26-2010, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
I like turfcobob's idea. During the Iowa state fair, thousands of homeowners charge $5 to $15 per car depending how close to the fairgrounds. Got a friend who makes over $4000 every year during the ten day event. But the tax man has been after these folks for not reporting their income.

Our local Fire Station is across the street. When they hold "ice cream socials", "chili feeds", "pancake breakfasts", etc, their parking lot gets full. So people start parking in our front ditch. (and it's a NO PARKING zone). So last year, the County installed an extra 'no parking sign' in front. The County guy also told us to call if anybody tries to park there.

BTW illegally parked cars make nice targets for paintball guns.......them damn neighbor kids
Would be nice to have some of those kids in my neighborhood (no kids to blame)

Here's the house across the street, just found this:
http://www.byrdauction.com/index.php...id=4&Itemid=54

Gets auctioned March 6th

Then God created Women
Old 02-26-2010, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
Would be nice to have some of those kids in my neighborhood (no kids to blame)

Here's the house across the street, just found this:
http://www.byrdauction.com/index.php...id=4&Itemid=54

Gets auctioned March 6th
The garages are almost as big as the house. I'd buy it just for those.