Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2010, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Dealers that wont budge on price!

Guys I have a dealer that is close to me. They just wont budge on prices at all. It seems like they really have no competition. They do give good service when working on equipment. I realize the dealer has to make money. I am getting ready to purchase a new ztr this spring. How many of you travel out of town to buy your new units? I guess I just want to feel like I am getting a good deal. I am located in Ohio.
Thanks
Old 02-21-2010, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superrman77 View Post
Guys I have a dealer that is close to me. They just wont budge on prices at all. It seems like they really have no competition. They do give good service when working on equipment. I realize the dealer has to make money. I am getting ready to purchase a new ztr this spring. How many of you travel out of town to buy your new units? I guess I just want to feel like I am getting a good deal. I am located in Ohio.
Thanks
sometimes when you buy from other dealer the dealer you get service from is not as fast as you wish or they don't help you like you would want.

96' Dodge Ram 2500
Little Wonder Blower 6HP
Little Wonder Vac 8.5HP
1 Echo Trimmers 210i

Old 02-21-2010, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superrman77 View Post
Thanks
how much do you move on your prices? i am sure the dealer know were he needs to be on price in order to cover overhead and still make a profit. the profit margin is not as high as you might think it is.

join us on FACEBOOK www.facebook.com/ClarkLawnMaint
Old 02-21-2010, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLARK LAWN View Post
how much do you move on your prices? i am sure the dealer know were he needs to be on price in order to cover overhead and still make a profit. the profit margin is not as high as you might think it is.
I understand they are not making what you think they are. But how would you like to go buy a new car at the dealership and them not come down on price. I guess some like to pay full asking price and some like to get a better price. I guess that is the business man in me!
Old 02-21-2010, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In eleven years only had to take one mower back to the dealer for war work. Do most of the work myself and got someone who can do what I cant.
I just get on the computer and see what I can buy one for somewhere else and if they can come close Ill give them my business if they cant I can drive 100 miles and save some good money
Old 02-22-2010, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A bunch of guys around here tried that and learned a hard lesson now they buy local.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Location: Down the road from where they used to make Saturn cars.
What kind of mowers are you interested in? There's a dealer in Lanesville, Indiana that has great deals on a few different brands and they are just over 150 miles away from you. I paid $7,000 out the door for my Bob-Cat and my local dealers were around $1,500 higher. They sell on Ebay too is how I found them http://stores.ebay.com/Southern-Indi...542426QQ_sopZ1 It's better to buy direct instead of through Ebay.
2 Echo SRM-210
1 Echo SRM-225
Tanaka TCG22EASSLP
Husqvarna 125 & 150 BT
6.5' x 12 ' Trailer
Stihl 025 18"
Husqvarna 460 24"
Old 02-22-2010, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a great dane super surfer last year, the local dealer wanted $7995 for one and he gives free delivery and free first oil change, I drove 3 hours to buy one for $4995. He refuses to do any warranty work on it, and is a real jerk about it, he said he will charge full shop rate for every minute he works on it. Guess who isn't going to be getting any of my business anymore? If they want my business, they should atleast try! $3000 was WAY too much.... im not partial to great dane, so I just switched to a different dealer. Who's prices are only about $500 over others... lol
Old 02-22-2010, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuley View Post
I bought a great dane super surfer last year, the local dealer wanted $7995 for one and he gives free delivery and free first oil change, I drove 3 hours to buy one for $4995. He refuses to do any warranty work on it, and is a real jerk about it, he said he will charge full shop rate for every minute he works on it. Guess who isn't going to be getting any of my business anymore? If they want my business, they should atleast try! $3000 was WAY too much.... im not partial to great dane, so I just switched to a different dealer. Who's prices are only about $500 over others... lol
From what I have been told......

Legally an authorized dealer MUST service any and all under warranty items. Not saying he will to do it in a specific time frame though.

I think if you called the factory about this they would nail his sack to a stump. Your phone call may very well be one of many concerning this? I would bet dealers do get dropped when enough people express their legitimate complaints to the powers that be.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Member

i have the same problem. but recently talked to the owner and got him to match the other prices i was getting. tell them you want to buy from them but cant afford to donate money to them either.