Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-21-2010, 10:33 PM
superrman77 superrman77 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 51
Dealers that wont budge on price!

Guys I have a dealer that is close to me. They just wont budge on prices at all. It seems like they really have no competition. They do give good service when working on equipment. I realize the dealer has to make money. I am getting ready to purchase a new ztr this spring. How many of you travel out of town to buy your new units? I guess I just want to feel like I am getting a good deal. I am located in Ohio.
Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-21-2010, 10:57 PM
AA+ landscaping's Avatar
AA+ landscaping AA+ landscaping is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by superrman77 View Post
Guys I have a dealer that is close to me. They just wont budge on prices at all. It seems like they really have no competition. They do give good service when working on equipment. I realize the dealer has to make money. I am getting ready to purchase a new ztr this spring. How many of you travel out of town to buy your new units? I guess I just want to feel like I am getting a good deal. I am located in Ohio.
Thanks
sometimes when you buy from other dealer the dealer you get service from is not as fast as you wish or they don't help you like you would want.
__________________

96' Dodge Ram 2500
Little Wonder Blower 6HP
Little Wonder Vac 8.5HP
1 Echo Trimmers 210i

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-21-2010, 11:05 PM
CLARK LAWN's Avatar
CLARK LAWN CLARK LAWN is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: youngstown, ohio
Posts: 2,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by superrman77 View Post
Guys I have a dealer that is close to me. They just wont budge on prices at all. It seems like they really have no competition. They do give good service when working on equipment. I realize the dealer has to make money. I am getting ready to purchase a new ztr this spring. How many of you travel out of town to buy your new units? I guess I just want to feel like I am getting a good deal. I am located in Ohio.
Thanks
how much do you move on your prices? i am sure the dealer know were he needs to be on price in order to cover overhead and still make a profit. the profit margin is not as high as you might think it is.
__________________
www.clarklawn.com

join us on FACEBOOK www.facebook.com/ClarkLawnMaint
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-21-2010, 11:11 PM
superrman77 superrman77 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLARK LAWN View Post
how much do you move on your prices? i am sure the dealer know were he needs to be on price in order to cover overhead and still make a profit. the profit margin is not as high as you might think it is.
I understand they are not making what you think they are. But how would you like to go buy a new car at the dealership and them not come down on price. I guess some like to pay full asking price and some like to get a better price. I guess that is the business man in me!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-21-2010, 11:17 PM
SouthSide Cutter SouthSide Cutter is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Washington In
Posts: 1,333
In eleven years only had to take one mower back to the dealer for war work. Do most of the work myself and got someone who can do what I cant.
I just get on the computer and see what I can buy one for somewhere else and if they can come close Ill give them my business if they cant I can drive 100 miles and save some good money
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-22-2010, 12:26 AM
WREBELMACHINE WREBELMACHINE is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SW MISSOURI
Posts: 1,080
A bunch of guys around here tried that and learned a hard lesson now they buy local.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-22-2010, 01:05 AM
Pennington Lawncare's Avatar
Pennington Lawncare Pennington Lawncare is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Down the road from where they used to make Saturn cars.
Posts: 581
What kind of mowers are you interested in? There's a dealer in Lanesville, Indiana that has great deals on a few different brands and they are just over 150 miles away from you. I paid $7,000 out the door for my Bob-Cat and my local dealers were around $1,500 higher. They sell on Ebay too is how I found them http://stores.ebay.com/Southern-Indi...542426QQ_sopZ1 It's better to buy direct instead of through Ebay.
__________________
14 Scag Turf Tiger 61" Kohler 26.5 hp EFI
09 Bob-Cat Predator Pro 61" 33 hp Generac "GRENADE"
2 Husqvarna 323L
2 Echo SRM-210
1 Echo SRM-225
Tanaka TCG22EASSLP
Husqvarna 125 & 150 BT
6.5' x 12 ' Trailer
Stihl 025 18"
Husqvarna 460 24"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-22-2010, 08:12 AM
Schuley Schuley is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Central WI
Posts: 250
I bought a great dane super surfer last year, the local dealer wanted $7995 for one and he gives free delivery and free first oil change, I drove 3 hours to buy one for $4995. He refuses to do any warranty work on it, and is a real jerk about it, he said he will charge full shop rate for every minute he works on it. Guess who isn't going to be getting any of my business anymore? If they want my business, they should atleast try! $3000 was WAY too much.... im not partial to great dane, so I just switched to a different dealer. Who's prices are only about $500 over others... lol
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-22-2010, 08:57 AM
Lawn Pawn's Avatar
Lawn Pawn Lawn Pawn is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: zone 3
Posts: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuley View Post
I bought a great dane super surfer last year, the local dealer wanted $7995 for one and he gives free delivery and free first oil change, I drove 3 hours to buy one for $4995. He refuses to do any warranty work on it, and is a real jerk about it, he said he will charge full shop rate for every minute he works on it. Guess who isn't going to be getting any of my business anymore? If they want my business, they should atleast try! $3000 was WAY too much.... im not partial to great dane, so I just switched to a different dealer. Who's prices are only about $500 over others... lol
From what I have been told......

Legally an authorized dealer MUST service any and all under warranty items. Not saying he will to do it in a specific time frame though.

I think if you called the factory about this they would nail his sack to a stump. Your phone call may very well be one of many concerning this? I would bet dealers do get dropped when enough people express their legitimate complaints to the powers that be.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-22-2010, 08:59 AM
lawnscraper lawnscraper is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: piscataway, nj
Posts: 35
i have the same problem. but recently talked to the owner and got him to match the other prices i was getting. tell them you want to buy from them but cant afford to donate money to them either.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:50 AM.

Page generated in 0.10690 seconds with 7 queries