Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-22-2010, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I always give my local dealer first crack at my business. He never gives me the lowest price, except on Stihl (because the prices are almost fixed). On my last purchase, I directly explained that he was off by $600 or whatever, so I was forced to buy elsewhere. This has now happened 3 times. He simply is not competitive on price. His service is so-so also.

Whatever. It is his choice. I'm not always lowest either.

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 02-22-2010, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

im not usually one to shop wherever its lower just to be "one of those customers"....but if my local dealer is being a dink with pricing...well it leaves me little options. His price was over MSRP by far and it was because of the "special treatment" he gives you, which is free pick-up and delivery, wash it before the work on it, and first oil change free.... well I explained to him that I have a trailer, and drive by the place all the time, so delivery was not needed, I wash them myself to keep them clean, so I dont need a wash, and $3000 over the next dealer was unacceptable. Wouldn't budge on the price so what am I supposed to do? Spend 3k more?! I flat out told him i'd even pay a few hundered more than the other guy but he still wouldn't even budge $1. So F-HIM!! Working on them isn't rocket science, If I can't figure it out, I take it to a retired mower Tech down the road who works on my stuff for $30.

There's plenty of other dealers in the area that would love my business, and i've noticed a little extra catering lately, must be slow business or something but they are being very nice!
Old 02-22-2010, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We as a dealer I agree if he is to high and does not provide the service you want then dont go to him. also if you do your own repairs and dont need his service also great for you. Just dont complain when he will not give you a loaner when you are down. Look at it this way... you have a customer that goes to a cheaper lawn service to get their lawn done becouse you are too high, he has a party or something and wants you to come in a do the job that week as you do a better job. Would you drop everything and go do it? or would you take care of the guy that pays your bills all year long?

Dealers are not out to get you, we just have to make a living as well, and it is a lot cheaper to sell units then take care of them, you have to have both to stay in the service business. But you guys think lawnmower dealers make as much as car dealers, and that is far from true, I set a fair price that in most cases is far below MSRP(I don't do free pickup, that is not fair to the ones with trailers and I have to pay a guy to get it so the person getting the service should pay for it, not the guy not getting it) but I do think my service is part of the package so I put my units first in line when repairs are needed.

2,000 and 3,000 is a large drop the dealers you must be going to have to be well above list, no way can I drop any of my units $2000 I would be way in the red. at most I could see is maybe a few hundred. As I said something must be up with a unit to drop that much.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto^^^ Im new as a dealer and most lco's dont belive me that I pay my shop hands more then I pay myself.
Wright
Snapper
Snapper pro
Redmax
Snow ex
Blizzard plows
Boss plows
And fix all the rest...
Old 02-22-2010, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I bought a fully loaded 2009 Toro 48 inch WB, 19hp Kawi, floating deck, hydro, with a mulch kit for a smidge under $5600. My local dealer wanted $7300. I hit the road. So dealers; which one was more in line?
Old 02-22-2010, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Shoot guys Ive bought various toys along the way {snowmobiles} tricked out and they were right around 12-13 grand and the dealer I bought from didnt want or care to work on them. I ended up taking them to a dealer 45 min away and its amazing what kind of service I got. Just remember not all dealers you buy from are willing to help you out
Old 02-22-2010, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The best thing to do is get feedback from the other LCO's in the area. See how they have been treated. We bend over backwards for our cutters in our town. They are our best advertising period.
Wright
Snapper
Snapper pro
Redmax
Snow ex
Blizzard plows
Boss plows
And fix all the rest...
Old 02-22-2010, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

not all dealers are created equal, one dealer might be buying a lot more machines thus getting them for better prices. So some dealers can't come down off list as you think they should.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Very True. Also some dealers will buy up old stock or other units dealers had and could not sell and get a deal on it and pass it along. But if I was a dealer and could not match the price of a machine out of town I would work on it but it would be in my spare time not a stop and fix it now machine for sure.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONTE View Post
Very True. Also some dealers will buy up old stock or other units dealers had and could not sell and get a deal on it and pass it along. But if I was a dealer and could not match the price of a machine out of town I would work on it but it would be in my spare time not a stop and fix it now machine for sure.
The old stock is what I would guess you were buying at best, that or a dealer losing his dealership for that big of a drop. most company's I deal with only give about 3% to the larger dealerships no place near enough for a $2000 price drop. it could also be a demo or a return that would get that pricing. I always do the best I can to take care of anyone.

But remember if you can not fix your own mower then buy from a local dealer as you make a living with that machine and need someone able to fix it.