Stihl MS180C Chainsaw
Giant Vac Walk Behind Blower
Kawasaki KHT600S Hedge Trimmer
Giant Vac 16HP Leaf Loader
Old 02-22-2010, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superrman77 View Post
Guys I have a dealer that is close to me. They just wont budge on prices at all. It seems like they really have no competition. They do give good service when working on equipment. I realize the dealer has to make money. I am getting ready to purchase a new ztr this spring. How many of you travel out of town to buy your new units? I guess I just want to feel like I am getting a good deal. I am located in Ohio.
Thanks
I drive almost 2 hours whenever I need to buy a new machine. I do all the work myself and when I need parts I go 30 minutes out of town. There is a dealer 5 minutes from me. They just don't get it, high prices, poor service, poor communication. If any of you are interested in exmark mowers contact Randy Stuber at Hilty Power Equipment. Berne, IN. He always goes above and beyond.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Member

As a dealer of many major power equip. lines dealers ARE REQUIRED to perform warranty work on a line they carry whether they sold the customer the mower or not. A simple call the the manufacture should fix your problem with a dealer. I also agree times are tight and customers are looking to get the most for their money. I match any price a customer brings in to pull in the additional buisness (parts,service,accesories).
Old 02-24-2010, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do you haggle at the cash register of the grocery store, you know, hey look register
dude can I offer you $2.75 for this here $3.59 gallon of milk?

How about at a fast food restaurant, do you "offer" them $3.60 for that there $4.79 #5 combo?

Well, do you?
No?

How come, why not?

Last edited by topsites; 02-24-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

sorry, dupe post.

Last edited by topsites; 02-24-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmullins6987 View Post
As a dealer of many major power equip. lines dealers ARE REQUIRED to perform warranty work on a line they carry whether they sold the customer the mower or not. A simple call the the manufacture should fix your problem with a dealer. I also agree times are tight and customers are looking to get the most for their money. I match any price a customer brings in to pull in the additional buisness (parts,service,accesories).
That's a joke. I know a few of the dealers around my area very well and you know what happens when a disgruntled customer calls the manufacturer to complain? The manufacturer rep and dealer laugh about it and leave it at that. Sometimes if the manufacturer whines to the dealer to take care of the whiney customer, what they'll do is make the customer wait about a month to get their machine looked at sometimes more depending on what they want to do. The man. reps don't like these type of customers any more than the dealers do.

It may be in writing that dealers are required to do warranty but that isn't the reality. They have that in there to make it look good and give the consumers the confidence to buy their product and have it serviced anywhere there is a dealer for it. Bottom line it's entirely up to the dealer whether they want to warranty or not.
STIHL BR 600
STIHL MS 660
STIHL KM 130
Craftsman 21" Rotary Briggs & Stratton
Old 02-25-2010, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Member

As far as the last couple post go your not gonna haggle on a gallon of milk or a few dollar meal because that type of purchase is completly different, we are talking about a few hundred dollars you might be able to save when buying a mower.

As the dealer having to perform warranty work, it is in the dealer agreements and I have dealt with a manufacture that will handle if a problem arises between the dealer and customer and any company that doesnt want to make the customer happy and just wants to laugh it off doesnt deserve my customers buisness!
Old 02-25-2010, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not talking about mowers, but I drove from Cincinnati to Rochester, NY to get the deal I wanted on a truck and never once have I had problems with warranty work. I've had great service from any local dealer I've went to for repairs.

That said, yes dealers need to make money too...but sometimes mowers are like motorcycles. Many motorcycle dealers have very little competition so they charge what they want. No, I don't have insight into what dealers financial situation is and in some cases they might have to charge more to stay afloat, but on the other hand I'm sure some weasels take advantage of the situation and charge what they do just because they can.

Regarding a dealer refusing warranty work...I'd push hard with the manufacturer to come down hard on the dealer if they're an authorized dealer/repair shop and they're refusing just because they didn't like where you bought the machine. That's wrong...and childish. Business is business. Grow up, I say (to the dealer that would do this).
Old 02-25-2010, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks lotsagrass you are one of the few people that understand how power equipment dealers should act and have they are. I completey agree with you. As a dealer I am more than happy to do warranty work on a line I carry weather they bought it from me or not times are rough and I dont understand how dealers turn away work. It not like Im not getting paid for my work.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We are required to fix any warranty situation. The time we do it in is another thing. But if we refuse we will get a call from our rep and then if its not done, a call from someone higher up the chain.
Wright
Snapper
Snapper pro
Redmax
Snow ex
Blizzard plows
Boss plows
And fix all the rest...