Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-22-2010, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Member

5 foot gate worth the extra $200 on a new PJ trailer?

I'm upgrading equipment this year and just purchased a new 60" Hustler Z and am buying a PJ 77"X14'. My trailer guy was trying to talk me into upgrading to a 5 foot gate instead of a 4 foot; he says it makes a big difference in ease of loading which i dont think i disagree with but is it worth the extra couple hundred bucks??????? Also anyone have anything good/bad to say about PJ trailers?
Old 02-22-2010, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would try to talk him down a lil to maybe like $150 but I would think it would be worth it. 60" ztr is a beast and for the extra few bucks itd be worth it.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfarrar87 View Post
I'm upgrading equipment this year and just purchased a new 60" Hustler Z and am buying a PJ 77"X14'. My trailer guy was trying to talk me into upgrading to a 5 foot gate instead of a 4 foot; he says it makes a big difference in ease of loading which i dont think i disagree with but is it worth the extra couple hundred bucks??????? Also anyone have anything good/bad to say about PJ trailers?
I cant say much for the gate upgrade, as I didn't know there was such a thing. I've owned 2 PJ l/s trailers and I have a PJ dump trailer. I've had great luck with them, no major complaints. Common problems such as keeping the lights and brakes working (never had a trailer that didn't give me wiring fits). I like the removable side rails on the landscape trailers. The wire mesh on the rear gate has a tendency to break welds with the constant loading/ unloading of the mowers on the un-braced sections, I've added a few lengths of angle iron to support the outer section of mesh, though it adds a few pounds to the gate when lifting it.
Hope it helps, good luck with your decision.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

$200. for an extra foot of gate length is a total rip off!! That is only about $20. in extra steel if that much, and they are wanting $200? That is definitely gouging! I would report his ass!
Old 02-22-2010, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yea, I wouldn't pay over 100 for that option if that. I don't thing its a big deal to have a 4ft ramp.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i would get it! tht foot makes a difference in the angle of goin up into the trailer

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 02-23-2010, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree that the extra foot will make a big difference but not for 200 extra. Id take it to a fab shop they could add the extra foot for prob a hundred bucks
Old 02-23-2010, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Member

I'll have to talk to the dealer and see what the deal is behind it as to why it's almost 200 bucks (180 if i remember right). I'll also look into getting another foot welded on but i'm worried about it looking stupid since the PJ trailers are powder coated black and wouldnt match the extra foot. Thanks for the input!
Old 02-23-2010, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If the dealer wants to sell you the trailer bad enough, he will come down on the overkill price of $200. But like others and I said, its definately worth it when your loading a big mower like a 60ztr. With all walk behinds or small zs it'd be different but worth it in the long run.