Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-23-2010, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

patchy lawn

I rent a house and take care of the property and home and it knocks down rent, my problem is the fron lawn is patchy and has worn spots from the prev owners were its just mud, would it be easyer to just till up the yard, relevel and hydroseed, the yard dosent get alot of sun due to a giant tree that covers about 90% of the lawn, so it only gets sun in the late after noon. thanks for the help
Old 02-23-2010, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroskie View Post
the yard dosent get alot of sun due to a giant tree that covers about 90% of the lawn, so it only gets sun in the late after noon. thanks for the help
The tree may need to be thinned out to allow more sun through. Aside from that, I would till in garden brew topsoil blend and use a shade tolerant variety of seed. Make sure to give it plenty of water because the grass is competing with tree for water.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

id like to thin it out more, but they did a hck job last summer and just cut off like 5 big limbs and its struggling, and last summer because of the hacking it sprouted like a million tiny sapllings, poor tree it was not taken care of correctly. but ill look into doing that, i got the back yard in great shape nice and fluffy, gunna grow some beer hops back there, but the front needs some love bad
Old 02-25-2010, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey Petroskie

If you want to try something quick and easy, try the Grass Stitcher. it will plant the grass seed into the existing soil with no other expense other than grass seed. Although I would agree with Green Feet Lawn, it might have a hard time competing with the roots and shade.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

id love just to tear out the tree and replant with a heathy one, i made a 1 foot diamiter area around the tree were theres no grass. also tear up all those ******ed stepping stone they have in the grass, they sit like 3inches below the grass. what do you think would be the best machine to tear up the yard? cause id like to level it too theres high and low spots, a broken sprinkler system, and these PVC pipes comming out of the ground every 2 feet, they say gas line on them so ill have to be carfull with those.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
id love just to tear out the tree and replant with a heathy one, i made a 1 foot diamiter area around the tree were theres no grass. also tear up all those ******ed stepping stone they have in the grass, they sit like 3inches below the grass. what do you think would be the best machine to tear up the yard? cause id like to level it too theres high and low spots, a broken sprinkler system, and these PVC pipes comming out of the ground every 2 feet, they say gas line on them so ill have to be carfull with those.
Gas lines? Yipes I wouldn't use any machine. If you hit gas lines you could be looking at a world of pain. I would just bury the lines you see, fix sprinkler pipes and remove stepping stones then bring in some topsoil and regrade and seed.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i cant go up anymore is the problem the grass is already an inch higher than the curb. the main gas line is 4feet under the surface, the pvc pipes are just markers, which i think is odd cause im the only house on the block with them and they go around most of the house. only thing with the sprinklers (mental picture here) front yard is 60' x 30' and on the side of the house are the main line for the sprinklers, they are sticking up out of the ground and cut off like they were decommisioned, no box or any hook ups just a pipe, i glued on a end so i could hook up a hose to it and that how i found a busted pipe in the front yard, maybe ur right fix the bust and then all i have to do is hook up the hose and i have sprinklers. i need a plan cause if i fix the front yard they will comp me 2 months of rent thats about 2k i can save minus what i spend on the front yard
Old 02-25-2010, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can't win in heavy shade. Plant a ground cover like ivy, myrtle, pachysandra, ajuga...
Old 02-25-2010, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

do what now? we use like bluegrass n such. is that what ur talking about.. FYI thanks everybody for the help. if yall really wanna help ill give you my address and a few cases of beer, i got a pool table in the garage!
Old 02-25-2010, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
do what now? we use like bluegrass n such. is that what ur talking about.. FYI thanks everybody for the help. if yall really wanna help ill give you my address and a few cases of beer, i got a pool table in the garage!
I'd love to stop by, but the drive is a little far.

What he is saying (RigglePLC) is plant something other than grass.

Unless you have a bobcat or some other type of excavator I would just hand grub that stuff out (only 1800 ft sq) and bring in some topsoil - plant grass if you have enough light and the roots are not monstorous or plant another ground cover.