Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-23-2010, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Old Pros please lend me your tips on trimmer training :)

I've got a college student doing a little work with me and he's got a great, willing to learn, attitude, I'd like to know how you old pros would train a new string trimmer man.....

I've never trained or used a trimmer man before, I've always done it...

Im scared to tick any customers off with scalping, and gutter spout ringing....At the same time im tired of hustling all day long in the 90'degree with the trimmer!!

Maybe I should just quit trying to be perfect and just let it happen how else will he learn?
Old 02-23-2010, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It takes about 30 days of OJT for most guys. You got to just watch him and don't push him for production in the beginning. Be sure he understand which way the rocks will fly out and not to bump head in the grass.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

OJT, enlighen me?

get snow today?
Old 02-23-2010, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I tried to train this gal who was going to work for me, with a redmax BCZ26, I told her right off, do not squeeze the throttle to fully open, and you do not need that much power in most situations, so what does she do, she gets it up to full rpm and starts digging it into the ground! So I took it from her and showed her how to hold it just above the turf and not to have it on full throttle, I think it just takes some people more time to get used to one. They always want to ram the head into the ground at the beginning? And NEVER try to show them how to "mow" grass with a trimmer until they have mastered trimming!!
Old 02-23-2010, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wear hearing and eye protection, I believe the customer will be as impressed with
a worker that at least looks like they're trying to do it right than anything else,
so while he's trying so hard ain't nobody going to say a whole lot even if it's not "perfect."

Why, because the usual worker isn't like that, not at all.

I'm serious, and certainly you can stop worrying about every blade of grass, I'm sure the customer already has,
I speak from experience when I say workers like yours are hard to find so I would just let the man do his thing,
he'll figure it out in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettMan View Post
OJT, enlighten me?
On Teh Job

Last edited by topsites; 02-23-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks for clearing that up ts

Ed, since you are also from texas........in your opinion, what is a reasonable rate paid to a dedicated trimmer man per hour?

I know there have been days when I have said to myself "If I hit one more pile of dog chow im going to throw this trimmer over the fence!" ......and I get the gross $
Old 02-23-2010, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep the bottom of the trimmer head in contact with
the ground and let it float towards where you want it
to go. Keep it flat, don't tilt it.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think running a string trimmer is something some people will just NEVER catch on to. I think using one PROPERLY is truly an art.

As far as teaching someone.... I think let them watch you for a while.... then let them try it after some verbal instructions. Run it for a short while, take a break doing something else, then keep going back and forth till they get a good feel for it.

I'm still learning after 40 years. And it keeps getting easier every time. I really enjoy it!
Old 02-23-2010, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Trimming is an art!! That is what people notice too, they rarely notice the mowing, but if someone has done a crappy job with the trimmer, it is very easy to spot. I can mow small areas with one now, but it took me a few seasons to get the hang of this.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKle View Post
Trimming is an art!! That is what people notice too, they rarely notice the mowing, but if someone has done a crappy job with the trimmer, it is very easy to spot. I can mow small areas with one now, but it took me a few seasons to get the hang of this.
AMEN ! !

I mow a tiny little corner house on a busy corner next a highway. I always trim it up extra special because I'm really proud of how nice it can be made to look. Terrible lawn, full of weeds... really a sad property. But when I'm done it looks great because it's been manicured to the max.

Lady has no money, I do it for next to nothing... but she really appreciates it. It's all in the details... trimming trimming trimming.