Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-23-2010, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKle View Post
I tried to train this gal who was going to work for me, with a redmax BCZ26, I told her right off, do not squeeze the throttle to fully open, and you do not need that much power in most situations, so what does she do, she gets it up to full rpm and starts digging it into the ground! So I took it from her and showed her how to hold it just above the turf and not to have it on full throttle, I think it just takes some people more time to get used to one. They always want to ram the head into the ground at the beginning? And NEVER try to show them how to "mow" grass with a trimmer until they have mastered trimming!!
and you would say what to my stihl dealer who told me once to not baby the equipment run it at full throttle???

the first stihl trimmer i had started running funny after maybe 3 or 4 months. i took it in and the dealer to me it had carbon build up on the exhaust screen. i wasn't running it at full throttle nearly enough. told me to run it at full throttle all the time except when around vehicles and things of that nature.

so what do i do? i run that baby at full throttle all the time. unless i'm by a vehicle or in an area that the trimmer is highly likely to pick up something and cause damage.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettMan View Post
I've got a college student doing a little work with me and he's got a great, willing to learn, attitude, I'd like to know how you old pros would train a new string trimmer man.....

I've never trained or used a trimmer man before, I've always done it...

Im scared to tick any customers off with scalping, and gutter spout ringing....At the same time im tired of hustling all day long in the 90'degree with the trimmer!!

Maybe I should just quit trying to be perfect and just let it happen how else will he learn?
haha if your worried about scalping then forget it! it will happen..trust me..i had the same problem with young guys a couple seasons back..they always scalped, missed stuff, etc. it can really slow your time down and hurt your business. it seems most of today's kids have never picked up a string trimmer before in their life or any other tool..just be patient and show them how you learned....the biggest thing is teaching them to keep the trimmer level so you don't have uneven trimming...and remember trimmer guards are for sissies!
Old 02-23-2010, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Under normal trimming conditions I rarely run my trimmer at full throttle, my echo 265T has enough torque that I can normally run on half throttle, if I try it at full I end up digging the ground up literally. Also, why do most guys run trimmers without guards? so the line gets longer? I personally won't take mine off cause when I bump the head it cuts nice, even, clean line for me to work with.

'09 Bad Boy Diesel zt
'97 Bobcat zt
'13 Ferris zt
'13 Horton 7x20 enclosed trailer
'03 7x14 landscape trailer
'96 Dodge Cummins 3500 dump
'95 GMC 2500 Pickup
'97 Dodge Cummins 2500
Honda push mowers
Echo handhelds
Proverbs 22:1
Old 02-23-2010, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

First find out if this person has ever run a trimmer before (doesn't matter if it was commercial grade or not the concept is more or less the same) and if they have find somewhere to have them practice while you watch and try to root out any bad habits. Preferably not on a clients yard, find like a field or a park (go during the middle of the week in the middle of the day, less people around) heck even your own yard and correct any problems.

If this student has never run a trimmer before then you can train them the right way the first time without any bad habits or "always did it this way" sort of thing to break them of.

The biggest thing is to be PATIENT, The Good Lord didn't whip up the world in a day and those guys in Rome paced themselves a bit during construction so don't expect perfection within the first ten minutes. Also be positive, don't go off on them if they make a mistake the first few times just make sure they know what they did wrong and see that they watch it a little closer.

'99 Dodge Ram 2500 reg cab long bed
'91 JD Lx172 38"/ bagger
'11 JD X300 48"
22'' '66 Western Auto Wizard
21"push mower/w bagger
Stihl KM 90 w/trimmer,tiller, and hedge trimmer
Husquvarna BT130
MTD 3.5 HP edger
AgraFab 17 cb ft trailer
Precise-Fit Areator
Random dethacher
Precise-Fit lawn sweeper

"Never Give Up! Never Surrender!"
Old 02-23-2010, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney3223 View Post
haha if your worried about scalping then forget it! it will happen..trust me..i had the same problem with young guys a couple seasons back..they always scalped, missed stuff, etc. it can really slow your time down and hurt your business. it seems most of today's kids have never picked up a string trimmer before in their life or any other tool..just be patient and show them how you learned....the biggest thing is teaching them to keep the trimmer level so you don't have uneven trimming...and remember trimmer guards are for sissies!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylecal91 View Post
Under normal trimming conditions I rarely run my trimmer at full throttle, my echo 265T has enough torque that I can normally run on half throttle, if I try it at full I end up digging the ground up literally. Also, why do most guys run trimmers without guards? so the line gets longer? I personally won't take mine off cause when I bump the head it cuts nice, even, clean line for me to work with.
i'm with you kylecal......

so the line gets longer, i can't see it being more productive and more importantly than productivity to me is safety and it is definitly unsafe.

try explaining to a client or insurance company how that rock went through the window when it should have stopped at the trimmer guard. or come see in after your season is done with and you legs are beat to hell from all the crap that the trimmer is throwing at your legs and mine are just slightly worn.

if its one thing i will NEVER understand is the one's that run with the guards off the equipment.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I recall the guy who trained me emphasized the importance of holding the trimmer level. If you're careful to do that, you won't scalp. I think that's the most important point you can get across to a new employee.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you trust them, let them take the trimmer to their house and trim their own house. Next day go over and talk to them about where they made mistakes. If you see a mistake stop them and tell them.
T270 Shindaiwa Trimmer
RedMax Trimmer
M242 Shindaiwa Multi Use with pole saw & hedge trimmer
Echo PB620 BP Blower
EB 630 Shindaiwa BP Blower
14' Tandem Axle Trailer with racks
Old 02-24-2010, 02:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

just a note - detail: if guy left-handed - what works for you wouldn't work for him (exhaust on the right side) - let him find his own ways (give just general directions, give the guy to cut section, trim and blow-off - to complete job, nice and clean - he will better understand what needs to be done and why)
Old 02-24-2010, 02:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisianaLawnboy View Post
If you trust them, let them take the trimmer to their house and trim their own house. Next day go over and talk to them about where they made mistakes. If you see a mistake stop them and tell them.
good idea

p.s. also might work to ask him - if another rookie can come and exercise how to beet hell out of the siding on his house or beet his young trees with the trimmer...
(if OTJ is-ok, would it be a problem to try it on his own house (or his mom's, or make "favour" to his mother-in-law, etc)?
: )))))

Last edited by demhustler; 02-24-2010 at 02:45 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I cant believe a Stihl dealer told you to run it at full throttle all the time? IF I did that, I would have scalped areas all over. That is just too much power for residential trimming that is mostly light. It is never good for any engine to run at full open all the time anyway. And the carbon will still build up no matter how you run it.