Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-24-2010, 02:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ci View Post
I average it to $1/min, or $60/hr if you will for residential lots. A $25 lawn I can generally cut and trim in 20-25 minutes. It's less than a 2min drive between them all. I only run 21" mowers, so profit is good. With larger mowers I'd charge a bit more, more so for the added fuel and maintenance costs.
that's misconception - actually you will charge less, throw biggest equipment you can and be in and out in 5 min

about as JCPM sayed below: 45$ per menhour - pretty close
know your expences: usually grasscutting expenses lover then other landscaping jobs expenses, about 30$ for cuts and 45$ for general landscaping, so what above - is what you make; sure very by region an type of jobs; rule of thumb could be: $50 per men-hour - and play (adjust) from there

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPM View Post
I charge $60hr for each guy who just mows and $30hr for guys who mainly trim and blow. You should always get around $80 to $100hr for a two man crew.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by demhustler; 02-24-2010 at 03:01 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Exactly, the larger equipment you have the more work you can finish on a weekly basis. You can charge less but take on more volume which will make you more money if your overhead isn't too high.

A solo can charge $60hr but only bill out $480 for an 8hr day. A two man crew, with larger equipment, can charge only $90 hr but bill out $700-$1000 for an 8hr day. Once you establish a good route and have system for each account, its not abnormal to make over $100hr with two guys. If you have the work and you don't pay too much for labor, this will make your company more money over the course of the year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-24-2010, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Member

You need to figure out your minium cost per hour to operate. Your break even point. This is the cost of what you have to charge just to break even. Then find out what your market can bear. How much are you willing to lose or gain? Every company can charge what the other company charges but you will fail in doing this. Its very important to know why you charge what you charge. Every company has different operating cost. A good site to go to for this info is Profits unlimited. You can buy all there books and software. They have simple easy to use computer software and books with all this info in it. This money you spend starting up may seem like alot but its nothing compared to the amount you loss if you go out of business. Any body can mow grass or butcher a lawn but can you make money at it? I promise if you use this software you will turn a profit. Also utilize contracts or service agreements with your accts. Dont go on a handshake. Protect yourself. Your accts rarley care if you survive or not. They can always open a phone book and call someone else. Good Luck!

Tags
hourly rate , newby , pricing