Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-23-2010, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Are Dixon zero turns any good?

I'm a newbie to the lawn care business and I'm needing some advice. I'm looking at buying a Dixon Ram with a 50" deck and a 22 briggs. Is Dixon a reliable brand?
Old 02-23-2010, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonLwnCare View Post
I'm a newbie to the lawn care business and I'm needing some advice. I'm looking at buying a Dixon Ram with a 50" deck and a 22 briggs. Is Dixon a reliable brand?
Is this a brand new model??? How many lawns are you mowing? how much do you plan on expanding? I think a lot of people dislike the dixons on here but honestly for a starter mower i think it wouldnt be too bad at all. Around here the seem to leave a pretty nice cut. Are you getting a good deal or what made you choose dixon?
Old 02-23-2010, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Dixon and i love it. The ram is just an estate type mower large resi. dixon was bought by husqvarna group, I have a husqvarna that is the sister to that machine. I would stay away from the briggs though I have heard bad things about them. But all in all I love my Dixon and husqvarna. If you have any questions you could always ask JimQ he works for husqvarna group at the plant in Beatrice Ne. But if you can get an Kodiak for close to the samr price I would get it before the ram.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Member

The guy said it runs perfect and it has been sitting in storage for the last 2 years because he has been in the military. He said he only wants two thousand for it and its five years old. I'm not cutting any yards yet. I just started my business. I'm not sure about how much I plan on expanding. I will probably cut yards with it at first until I can save enough to buy a nice commercial.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

my husqvarna ez5221 started me off and I still run it. I am a HUGE husqvarna fan. from blowers, trimmers to mowers. I have never had a problem with them. two thousand may be a little high. I want to say new that machine is like 3500-4000. could be way off though.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Everything I have bought so far is Husqvarna. They only thing that wont be a husky will be my zero turn( can't afford it yet). Do you guys have any tips on how I could check the mower when I see it to ensure that it is good mechanically.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=JacksonLwnCare;3433589]I'm a newbie to the lawn care business and I'm needing some advice. I'm looking at buying a Dixon Ram with a 50" deck and a 22 briggs. Is Dixon a reliable brand?

I would offer 1500 and see where it goes. I think 2000 is maybe a little high but could be in absolutely perfect condition. I think it would be a really good starter mower in any event. Either that or use your 2 grand as a down payment on a little more professional mower in that size. Do you know aproximate hours?
Old 02-23-2010, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

He said he used it for 2 seasons and it doesnt have an hour meter on it. He is supposed to be sending me some pics of it and I'll post them so I can get yall's opinion. He said the only thing that shows any wear is the arm rest so we'll see.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonLwnCare View Post
Everything I have bought so far is Husqvarna. They only thing that wont be a husky will be my zero turn( can't afford it yet). Do you guys have any tips on how I could check the mower when I see it to ensure that it is good mechanically.
The only thing I could think of would be the spindels. I think it has aluminum spindels, thats the only think that i had problem with on mine. The bearings would seze up, and one time the shaft went through the side of the spendle case. but that one was my guys fault. if that mower had cast iron spendles it would be great. That deck is a good deck to cuts really well. mine has a kawi on it not the briggs, so I wouldnt know what to expect there. If it dont have many hours should be ok.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah, I'm kinda scared of the briggs. Arent they only rated for 550 hours?