Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-23-2010, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Member

New guy

Hello all.

Was chasing down a new bid for snow removal, and the client want's me to take care of that next year but also wanted to know if I would be interested in taking care of there lawn care needs as well. I cut my own grass and that is it. I am by no means a pro. and don't claim to be but they are willing to give me the chance. Have all the equipment other than a decent mower (looking at toro zrt around $3,000) I have the capital to purchase this and a small trailer. The guy that took care of it last year charged around $15,000 for the yard care and snow removal combined. Yard care was mow,trim,fert,plug once in spring, spring and fall clean up. They did not haul off grass or any other yard trash. Applied fert twice a year.

I have been thinking of adding to my existing bus. And yard maint. was an option just not my first choice. But this sounds like it might be a great start to filling in some of my down time in the summer. I am a one man show. But I do have the time for this and maybe more.
My Plan is to get it for the same price only on a seasonal contract billing around $1,150 a month
OK question is what would you do?

Last edited by wdcs; 02-23-2010 at 11:34 PM. Reason: forgot to add a plan
Old 02-24-2010, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Member

So you are looking to do the same work as the previous lco for $1200 bucks less a year?

I dont know if it sounds right and many of us on here wont either since you havent given one detail on yard size etc...
Old 02-24-2010, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My biggest question is about the fert…you say you’re not a pro so are you going to be able to spread the fert without having different color grass in areas? As in spreading the fert evenly? Believe it or not it takes practice….next….do you even have an applicators permit so you can even apply chemicals like fert?

The above and a few other things lead me to believe this is out of your league right now…no offence…..welcome to the site by the way

It is what it is......

Check out some of our manicuring http://sangerlawncareplus.com/Site%202/Photos%202.html
Old 02-25-2010, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Member

The whole complex is on a 4 acre parcel. Mostly buildings, parking space and drive ways. Measured the area the other day and came up to around an 1 1/2 acre to be mowed, with half of that being open areas. I do not need an applicators lisc. hear only need it to apply weed and pest control products. And they have a part time guy under there employ that maintains everything but the mowing and fert applications. And I guess I should say my yard is around an acre just in grass. I have seen what happens when you don not apply fert the right way and have that part down after 6 years in my home. Have sat down and added up cost based on my own yard (there complex will get less fert than mine I apply my own right to it's threshold of surviving grows a dark as hell green and faster than I can mow it but looks so good could be fake) And after the numbers are in should bring in 4,500 on mower side and 3,200 on the snow removal. And that's minus around 4,500 for a mower. Raised bid to match theirs around 14,000 a year.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Member

wdcs I say go for it, don't sell yourself short and keep the price the same as last year. Try and buy a commercial mower so you have room to expand. SangerlawnS do you just patrol everyone's posts looking to discourage and point out minor flaws...you are such a pud that it is commical.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkra12 View Post
wdcs I say go for it, don't sell yourself short and keep the price the same as last year. Try and buy a commercial mower so you have room to expand. SangerlawnS do you just patrol everyone's posts looking to discourage and point out minor flaws...you are such a pud that it is commical.
Thanks man your awesome. Don't think I will expand all that much. One man show and all ready have a lot of Concrete work in the summer. Have found an older walker don't remember the model has 42" deck and 9 bushel hopper hoping to get it for 4,000. He is asking 5k but also selling as package with couple stihl trimmers and toro walk behind witch I don't want.
If you ever want to know about concrete overlays let me know, some real good money in them and can be done by yourself.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Member

That sounds great man thanks, always good to learn something new. Don't let sangerlawns find out though because he probably knows every single rule and regulation to go with it lol. I've never used a walker, they're not too big up here. But let me know how everything goes...hope it works out!
Old 02-25-2010, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Member

What do you use. Was also looking at new Toro z4235 or z4200 as this place has a lot of tight areas and for now will most likley be the only job I do other than my own place.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm a huge fan of stand on mowers and i got the toro grandstand last year and I like it alot....you can get 28% off retail price if cut certain properties...pm me sometime and ill give ya some details if you're interested
Old 02-26-2010, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Those toro's look like a lot of fun. Maybe some day if I ever plan on doing more than just this complex.