Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-25-2010, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
it takes you half an hour to take a piss

i guess you better stick with using a toilet in your trailer. i can make a stop at a gas station and from the time i park the truck until the time i pull out is only 5 min., if that sometimes. i don't loose no half an hour. it's not like i stop 5 times a day. at the most i might stop once before lunch and maybe once after lunch. depending on whether i stop to eat my lunch or eat while i'm driving i will stop during lunch.

lol....... You have to drive to the place your going to piss at and then drive back to the area your servicing. You must have a store on every corner in the areas you service!
Old 02-25-2010, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

we find nice trees to hide behind so we dont have to go anywhere, but sometimes when the number two comes a knockin, you dont have the woods to run too and you have to leave the job, although it is rare.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Drive to the gas station with a crew of 3 or 4 men. Then drive back. How much time(money) was just wasted. I know some of you are one man operations so, these type of scenarios don't really matter to you, now anyway. But, when your paying other men by the hour every minute counts.
If I charge $45 an hour. If a crew of 4 men, waste as little as 15 mins a day. That's $45 a day gone. That's at least $225 a week gone. That's over $7000 a year gone. Now don't let me get into multiple crews.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We are saving money and reducing expenses this year by not being everything to everyone. We are now requiring a minimum number of cuts per month. We only target the types of jobs we are strong at in every area (including profit).
Old 02-25-2010, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickin Your Grass View Post
lol....... You have to drive to the place your going to piss at and then drive back to the area your servicing. You must have a store on every corner in the areas you service!
i don't leave the property i'm servicing to go take a leak. i wait until i drive by a gas station. i know how to hold my bladder pretty well. there are gas stations and fast food joints along every main road in the city. so in traveling from job A to job B you will pass somewhere to stop and take a leak unless you have multipul properties on in the same neighborhood where you don't hit a main road for 3 or 4 jobs.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
we find nice trees to hide behind so we dont have to go anywhere, but sometimes when the number two comes a knockin, you dont have the woods to run too and you have to leave the job, although it is rare.
there is rule in my business that you don't use the clients property as a toilet for number 1 or number 2.

granted right now i'm solo but if i ever hire anyone, the first time i catch you leaking at a clients property or even a neighboring property your FIRED.

you need to take a leak that bad use the empty gatorade bottle in the trailer or you hold it till we come to a gas station or fast food joint.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
i fail to see how using a bathroom in a trailer saves money. time i can see but not money.

as for the microwave so you don't eat out. i don't think thats necessary. it's call brown bag it with cold meat or pb&j.

about then only time i will not stop at a bathroom is in an emergency situation and then it's the empty gatorade bottle. otherwise there are plenty of places to stop inbetween jobs that have public restrooms and by the end of the day it doesn't save that much if i wouldn't have stopped.
I can go all day without passing a public bathroom and even a lot of busnesses don't allow you to use their bathroom (no city sewers and don't want to overload their septic tank). To have to run out to a bathroom you might be looking at a 20 minute round trip....ppl live in different areas you know. Especially if you've got crews, by the time you go somewhere and round everybody back up and head back out to the job..same with lunch.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
I can go all day without passing a public bathroom and even a lot of busnesses don't allow you to use their bathroom (no city sewers and don't want to overload their septic tank). To have to run out to a bathroom you might be looking at a 20 minute round trip....ppl live in different areas you know. Especially if you've got crews, by the time you go somewhere and round everybody back up and head back out to the job..same with lunch.
most citys in most states have gas stations and fast food joints all over the main arteries, not to mention places like walmart, meyers, lowes, home depot, etc.

there is no heading back out to the job. my stops are planned inbetween jobs when i would be driving by a place to stop no matter what. i don't make special trips. if i'm passing a gas station and need to piss i stop if not i'll be waiting until i come across the next place to stop.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yah, key word being city.

Our high end subdivisions here are up in the woods in the 2 acre zoning area and you might be out there all day. Even the business district is pretty devoid of places to go. We do have a Walgreen's now but people are sorry they let it in...too large scale for the rest of the businesses in town..ruins the charm they say. And we got a Dunkin Donuts (people sued to try to keep that out) and a Subway but parking at both of them sucks for a truck/trailer setup. My point is I'm not gonna drive 10 or 15 minutes one way to go downtown to use the bathroom.

My point is that people give advice and make comments as if we all live in similar areas and can't understand why someone would do things a certain way. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for another.

I carry an old half gallon apple juice bottle in my truck (wide mouth of course, lol) in case I can't P discretely somewhere else.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
there is rule in my business that you don't use the clients property as a toilet for number 1 or number 2.

granted right now i'm solo but if i ever hire anyone, the first time i catch you leaking at a clients property or even a neighboring property your FIRED.

you need to take a leak that bad use the empty gatorade bottle in the trailer or you hold it till we come to a gas station or fast food joint.
i dont disagree with you , but i am talking where there is plenty of cover and woods, not even really the customers property half the time. not just anywhere . sometimes you just have to go, we are in a area with out leaving for an entire day sometimes except for lunch, so then where do you suggest we go?? i dont use enclosed trailers and doing it into a bottle in the truck with traffic is kinda risky!