Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-27-2010, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Always bring a lunch, no exceptions along with a drink.

Cut back cell phone minutes, got rid of data plan for emails and no more texting. Save a bunch each month right there.

Ask for discounts--> trust me, it works!

Plan

Plan

Plan
Old 02-27-2010, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oOTurfmanoO View Post
Always bring a lunch, no exceptions along with a drink.

Cut back cell phone minutes, got rid of data plan for emails and no more texting. Save a bunch each month right there.

Ask for discounts--> trust me, it works!

Plan

Plan

Plan
not sure why you'd wanna cut back on some technology items that help run a business so much smoother just to say some nickels and dimes.

i can see reducing your cell phone to one with less min. IF you don't use all the min. your current plan has. dropping the data plan is a little crazy for me because thats how i communicate with some of my clients on a regular basis. and i know with verizon texting is a FREE thing with your service so i would save money by dropping that.

i personally couldn't drop or cut back on the techy stuff because it's what helps me run my business paperless which saves time and money.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turfcutters Plus View Post
i give estimates on a moped . it's fun too.
Same here but it is a hayabusa, this cuts down on driving time running 150
Old 02-27-2010, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickin Your Grass View Post
lol....... You have to drive to the place your going to piss at and then drive back to the area your servicing. You must have a store on every corner in the areas you service!
We do they are called QT or quick trip in tulsa, ok and most of this area.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I just wear adult diapers, saves even more time by not having to go to a trailer to urinate or crap. Just let it go whenever sitting on the mower.

Are we really talking and having a debate about this?
Old 02-28-2010, 03:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

oh goodie, we're back to potty talk
Old 02-28-2010, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was in a class in business many years ago, and this just stuck. IF you bought a mower for 8 grand, then found that a much better "fit" for your biz was 10 grand, would you use the 8 grand mower to make your money back or scrap it (in this theoretical example you have little resale value, we are trying to think theory here), and immediatelyl buy the 10 grand, putting yourself in at 18 grand when you could have been in at only 10. You will be able to make 900 more a month with the better "fit". The answer is ...........scrap it, go with the money maker. A lot of people feel they need to get their money out of what they have. YOU SAVE MONEY BY MAKING MORE PER HOUR!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2010, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Grass View Post
I was in a class in business many years ago, and this just stuck. IF you bought a mower for 8 grand, then found that a much better "fit" for your biz was 10 grand, would you use the 8 grand mower to make your money back or scrap it (in this theoretical example you have little resale value, we are trying to think theory here), and immediatelyl buy the 10 grand, putting yourself in at 18 grand when you could have been in at only 10. You will be able to make 900 more a month with the better "fit". The answer is ...........scrap it, go with the money maker. A lot of people feel they need to get their money out of what they have. YOU SAVE MONEY BY MAKING MORE PER HOUR!!!!!!!!!!!
maybe i can't think theory or i missed something in the theory.

i'd work with the 8 grand mower until i could out right afford the 10 grand mower and then trade in or sell the 8 grand mower and get the 10 grand mower.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I buy my cigarettes in New Hampshire and I take my motorcycle because it get 40 MPG.

I think I'm going to start registering all my vehicles in Maine or Tennessee.

Actually,I just drive Toyota Trucks.
saves me a fortune.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
maybe i can't think theory or i missed something in the theory.

i'd work with the 8 grand mower until i could out right afford the 10 grand mower and then trade in or sell the 8 grand mower and get the 10 grand mower.
Basically, what he is trying to say, is your actually hurting yourself more financially by not using the right tool for the job. His example is showing a $900/month profit using the $10k mower over the $8k mower. So even at $18k (scrapping the $8k mower, not reselling) your payments would be less then the $900/month profit allowing you to make more money even though you have a higher start up cost.... if I am reading it correctly. Makes sense. You have to look at things long term, not just what is it costing you right now.